Nexstar...again

As far as I know, for the MG-turned-Nexstar news producing stations (i.e. excluding those being shuffled off to someone else), here is how they rank in the markets, and who (in alphabetical order) are the competitors:

KELO+ - Dominant 1st (competitors: Gray, Red River)

KHON+ - 2nd (competitors: Raycom, SJL)

KLFY - 2nd (competitors: Bayou City, Cordillera)

KOIN - 2nd (competitors: Meredith, Sinclair, Tegna)

KRON - Distant 5th (or worse) (competitors: networks)

KRQE - 3rd? (competitors: Hearst, Hubbard) (not too familiar with the market)

KSNT - Distant 2nd (competitor: Gray)

KSNW+ - 2nd? (competitors: Gray, Lockwood, Sinclair) (not sure if KWCH+ is ahead of KSNW+)

KXAN - 1st (competitors: Fox, Sinclair, Tegna)

KXRM - 4th (competitors: Cordillera, Gray, NPG)

WANE - Dominant 1st (competitors: Heartland, Quincy)

WATE - 3rd? (competitors: Gray, Tegna) (not too familiar with the market overall)

WAVY - Dominant 1st (competitors: Tegna, Tribune)

WBTW - Dominant 1st (competitors: Raycom, Sinclair)

WCBD - Distant 2nd (competitors: Raycom, Sinclair)

WCMH - 3rd (competitors: Dispatch, Sinclair)

WDTN - Distant 2nd (competitors: Cox, Sinclair)

WFLA - 1st (competitors: Fox, Scripps, Tegna)

WHTM - 2nd (competitors: Hearst, Sinclair, Tribune)

WIAT - 4th (competitors: Hearst, Raycom, Sinclair)

WISH - 4th (competitors: Dispatch, Scripps, Tribune)

WIVB - 3rd (competitors: Scripps, Tegna)

WJBF - 2nd (competitors: Gray, Raycom)

WJHL - 2nd (competitor: Bonten)

WJTV - 2nd (competitors: Hearst, Raycom) (satellite WHLT in a separate market but with no local news)

WKBN - Distant 2nd (competitor: local owner)

WKRG - Close 1st (competitors: Meredith, Sinclair)

WKRN - 3rd (competitors: Meredith, Scripps, Sinclair)

WLNS - 2nd (competitor: Gray)

WNCN - Distant 3rd (competitors: ABC/Disney, Capitol)

WNCT - Close 3rd (competitors: Bonten, Gray)

WOOD - 1st? (competitors: Sinclair, Tegna, Tribune) (not too familiar with the market overall; WOTV outside top 4)

WPRI - 2nd (competitors: Citadel, Sinclair)

WRBL - Distant 2nd (competitors: Raycom, SagamoreHill)

WRIC - 3rd (competitors: Raycom, Tribune)

WSAV - Distant 2nd (competitors: Hearst, Raycom, Sinclair)

WSPA - 2nd (competitors: Hearst, Meredith, Sinclair)

WTEN - 1st (competitors: Hubbard, Sinclair)

WTNH - 2nd (competitors: Meredith, NBCU, Tribune)

WWLP - 1st (competitor: Meredith)

It will be interesting to see how these change afterward...by the way, of the stations that Nexstar is not acquiring, two are market leaders (KWQC and WBAY) and one has no real competition (WLFI).

I thought KRQE was second behind KOAT and WFLA was second behind WTVT. And yes, WOOD is in first. Been first for a long time now.

Fox New Mexico will moving from KASA to KRQE-DT2 in Jan. 17.

http://krqe.com/fox-new-mexico/

The KASA subchannels are also moving to other "new" Nexstar Media Group properties -- the CoziTV sub (2.2) is going to KWBQ as 19.4 while the Ion sub (2.3) is moving to KASY as 50.4.

KRQE is also dumping its GetTV(13.2) sub to KASY (50.3), presumably to allow the multiplexing of CBS and Fox in HD.

Not that much would change in those markets, since Raycom already has those markets cornered with WLBT and WDAM. (There's also WAPT in Jackson but that is probably Hearst's weakest station.)

Wouldn't surprise me if they combine those web sites.

It makes me wonder re: websites:

* In Lafayette, LA and Fort Wayne, Nexstar essentially traded stations. What will happen with the "current" domain on the sold assets, will Nexstar just use it for KLFY and WANE?

* In St. Joseph, MO, Nexstar left the market. Will Heartland Media decide to dump the Nexstar domain to something more traditional like www.kqtv.com ?

It also means Nexstar cannot acquire any more stations in the current regime - they will need to hope and lobby for the FCC to increase the cap. Who becomes the big buyer now?

It makes me wonder re: websites:

* In Lafayette, LA and Fort Wayne, Nexstar essentially traded stations. What will happen with the "current" domain on the sold assets, will Nexstar just use it for KLFY and WANE?

* In St. Joseph, MO, Nexstar left the market. Will Heartland Media decide to dump the Nexstar domain to something more traditional like www.kqtv.com ?

It also means Nexstar cannot acquire any more stations in the current regime - they will need to hope and lobby for the FCC to increase the cap. Who becomes the big buyer now?

Do you mean q2.com ? I'd bet it be better under k2.com or k2stjoe.com

• Like 4

Yet another prominent name in the broadcasting industry has gone away.

Media General. RIP. And RIP to J. Stewart Bryan.

Oh. And RIP to LIN, Young, New Vision, Spartan, Park, ComCorp, Grant, Newport, Quorum. All the former names that have now been absorbed to the new Nexstar Media Group.

• Like 2

Yet another prominent name in the broadcasting industry has gone away.

Media General. RIP. And RIP to J. Stewart Bryan.

Oh. And RIP to LIN, Young, New Vision, Spartan, Park, ComCorp, Grant, Newport, Quorum. All the former names that have now been absorbed to the new Nexstar Media Group.

They now have 171 stations. But with little room to grow...meaning they can't go after groups that may decide to sell like Meredith.

• Like 1

Already preparing for the inevitable announcement that those so-called 'capital bureaus' to get the merger approved are cut to death when the FCC isn't looking.

The good news though; so far, they're sticking to the websites (Gray is keeping the MG sites for now with their logo in the bottom bar). With everything so connected to backends and apps these days it's going to take a while before we see KRON move to 'prideofthegoldengate.com' or something ridiculous. That, and LIN/MG is leagues better than anything they have, so hopefully their tech propagates to the other Nexstar stations.

• Like 2

Already preparing for the inevitable announcement that those so-called 'capital bureaus' to get the merger approved are cut to death when the FCC isn't looking.

The good news though; so far, they're sticking to the websites (Gray is keeping the MG sites for now with their logo in the bottom bar). With everything so connected to backends and apps these days it's going to take a while before we see KRON move to 'prideofthegoldengate.com' or something ridiculous. That, and LIN/MG is leagues better than anything they have, so hopefully their tech propagates to the other Nexstar stations.

Gray has been quick at changing their websites, I would expect KWQC and WBAY to get the Gray template pretty quickly.

Since LIN Digital has been inherited by Nexstar, I wouldn't be surprised if their older stations get those new graphics and sites (but I am pretty sure everyone gets the crappy domains).

And WYTV gets passed along a FOURTH time as WKBN's surrogate. (New Vision/Parkin, Lin & Media General). The Vaughn Media shell lives on yet again...

Technically, it was supposed to be separated back in December (2 years after the LIN merger occured) What gives?

Yeah. It was suppose to be separated, thanks to Wheeler's original JSA attribution rule (which got shut out by the courts last year). Then in 2015, Congress place a rider on a bill that grandfathered the current JSAs until 2025.

Wheeler's JSA rule was brought back after completing the 2010/2014 quadrennial review. But stations that had legacy JSAs can keep them for another 8 years.

Another thing to point out. If you were a former Emmis station that didn't get sold from them LIN, but was sold by Montecito, you've already saw ownership changes more than FIVE times within the last decade.

Emmis > Montecito (SJL) > New Vision > LIN > Media General > Nexstar

No time was wasted either -- all the old LIN/MG stations now proudly present the new Nexstar logo in their copyright sections

nexstar-logo-black2.png?w=180

Which also means Nexstar can start using this at the end of every newscast at all of their stations (or something similar to fit each market):

[MEDIA=vimeo]193937539[/MEDIA]

EDIT: Looks like I was right on the latter. The new copyright close has been customized for each market.

• Like 1

Which also means Nexstar can start using this at the end of every newscast at all of their stations (or something similar to fit each market):

[MEDIA=vimeo]193937539[/MEDIA]

EDIT: Looks like I was right on the latter. The new copyright close has been customized for each market.

I just checked out the livestream replays for at least four different ex-MG markets, and each one is using their new, customized close tag this morning. (I'm guessing the sale/consummation was at 11:59pm last night since none of them used it on their 11pm shows).

I screencap'd WAVY's from their morning show this am

Anyway, I guess we figured out what they've been doing for the last year...

• Like 1

I just checked out the livestream replays for at least four different ex-MG markets, and each one is using their new, customized close tag this morning. (I'm guessing the sale/consummation was at 11:59pm last night since none of them used it on their 11pm shows).

I screencap'd WAVY's from their morning show this am

Anyway, I guess we figured out what they've been doing for the last year...

Private video