U.S. News Music Abroad: Video Clips

WWUpdate

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s plenty of clips of this on YT, so I just picked one at random. Rede Globo’s Bom Dia Brasil debuted in 1983 with the same theme music which NMSA labels as “WOKR 1982 ‘Morning Break’ Theme” (though unlike the WOKR open audio there, this is in the clear):

I have no idea if WOKR used it first, or if the theme is misdated by NMSA, and Globo used it first. Probably the former, since I can’t imagine how a Brazilian TV music track would wind up in Rochester, NY - but if i hadn’t already heard audio of it from an American TV station, I’d have just assumed it was composed for Globo. It sounds of a piece with most of their other, seemingly custom-commissioned and domestically-produced music, even if it wasn’t actually made for them. As it is, I have no idea of its origin.

The only video I’ve found online relating to “Morning Break” is a promo from 1985 with a different piece of music. Maybe someday a video clip of the show with this theme will turn up...

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2017 at 12:17 AM, WWUpdate said:

Here's Channel 5 in Singapore using Gari's Where It All Happens in the 1990s and early 2000s:

And here's Mediacorp's Chinese-language Channel 8 using a different cut of Where It All Happens:

• 2 months later...

Here's the Philippine's GMA (Radio Television Arts) near the end of the martial law/Marcos regime using TM's Where You Belong. They used that slogan well into the 90s, even creating their own campaign with that name! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's the intro of the "Main News" from the "Hong Kong International Business Channel"... I'm not so sure if the theme used is from News Series 2000 Plus, but I'm very certain that the end tag of the theme sounds very similar to the "logo" of the News Series 2000 Plus...

Well, HKIBC is owned by the same company that owns i-CABLE News Channel (formerly Hong Kong Cable News), a long-time user of News Series 2000  and News Series 2000 Plus. But it's possible that its theme has been customized. Anyone?

5 minutes ago, WWUpdate said:

Well, HKIBC is owned by the same company that owns i-CABLE News Channel (formerly Hong Kong Cable News), a long-time user of News Series 2000  and News Series 2000 Plus. But it's possible that its theme has been customized. Anyone?

It's on Disc 2 of NS2000+. First time I've heard it in the wild.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 5:07 PM, WWUpdate said:

And speaking of Slovenia, here's Planet 18 on Planet TV using World News Live from Killer Tracks:

Here's Jiangsu TV in China using the theme (at the 0:28 mark):

Archived