U.S. News Music Abroad: Video Clips

WWUpdate

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this collection are Prego TV and Noticiero Nacional in Colombia (never heard of either, can't find anything), but it's The Electric Horseman! In 1990!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_qxLle2_EM

Also from Colombia, the open isn't recognizable music, but what plays after it sure is! (It's a cut from The News Image package)

• 3 weeks later...

Now I know why it was so hard to find info on Colombian TV: you're going to need to do some reading. The two-layered TV model Colombia used was very, very confusing; in short, the state owned the channels and private companies known as programadoras (like Prego Televisión and Datos y Mensajes above) produced most of the shows. (I wrote that article.)

And speaking of Spanish, if you watch much Spanish-language news, you might kind of recognize the music in the close to this 1998 Colombian presidential debate (0:30). (There's other great Colombian continuity material in this video but none of it deals with American television.)

Back so soon? Yeah, and with something new in tow!

I'm increasingly suspecting that Australia's Ten Network may have commissioned an update to the Turn To package that was never sold to anyone else. I've heard a short version of this cut before, but on another Ten sample from Sydney. Sydney also used another cut that was strange. Though Brisbane used the same cut as WTAE, that was TVQ in their channel 0 days before 1988, so it doesn't count. (It should be noted that, despite the NMSA's use of a networked sample of Turn To (broadcast nationwide), this is the first Capital 7 specific sample available!)

I'm increasingly suspecting that Australia's Ten Network may have commissioned an update to the Turn To package that was never sold to anyone else. I've heard a short version of this cut before, but on another Ten sample from Sydney. Sydney also used another cut that was strange. Though Brisbane used the same cut as WTAE, that was TVQ in their channel 0 days before 1988, so it doesn't count. (It should be noted that, despite the NMSA's use of a networked sample of Turn To (broadcast nationwide), this is the first Capital 7 specific sample available!)

I've actually noticed this with all of the Australian examples of "Turn to News." It seems that the package was re-recorded for Australia; in fact, every instance I've heard of a Gari promo or news package in Australia has been a re-recording. The singers are definitely Australian, so I'd assume that the music was redone in Australia as well.

If I had to guess why, it may have had something to do with the Musicians' Union of Australia. They could have had a problem with the station music being imported from America wholesale, and allowed a compromise where the music had to be re-recorded domestically. I know that whenever one of the Big Three fall campaigns was used in Australia, the music was almost always redone and the singers were all Aussies. Besides Gari's stuff, CHL and MCTYW were also replaced with Australian cover versions by the mid-80s.

• 3 months later...

Here are various opens used by RTL in Germany from the 1980s until today, including a number of opens w/ various cuts of Power News by Non-Stop and News Line by Gari:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoYOpo6hNo

As I understand it, Power News was commissioned by RTL first and then released in the US. They still use a revised version of the Power News signature.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

KPHO 1995 is just another cut of Krizman's 24 Hour News, though one that isn't seen much elsewhere. And you are correct. I hear the musical signature in there as well.

What a strange mashup with Gari stuff.

But "KPHO 1995" must also have had some sort of a connection with Gari, because it was included in his International Sampler (as POP TV's theme) -- if it's the same theme.

BTW, apart from its launch day (seen in the clip above), POP TV never used "KPHO 1995" as a news theme, just as an image theme. Gari's "Eyewitness News" was used for the news close.

• 3 weeks later...

The music heard at the 0:37 mark of this 1979 blooper reel from GTV9 in Melbourne, Australia...

...is the theme listed on NMSA as "Production Music: Fast Action" (used by WISH, KHOU, and KXTV, along with several other stations.)

Apparently, it was used by Seven Network stations in other Australian states.

Oh, and does anyone have a link to any clips of Pantel in Peru using Mayoham's "On Top of It All"? It's been listed on NMSA for quite some time, but I've never been able to find a clip on YT or anywhere else.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and does anyone have a link to any clips of Pantel in Peru using Mayoham's "On Top of It All"? It's been listed on NMSA for quite some time, but I've never been able to find a clip on YT or anywhere else.

Thanks in advance.

I've seen it but I need more time to find it again.

Hint (this will help): search Panamericana or Panamericana Televisión instead of Pantel (which wasn't ever used as a voiceover name).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, Raymie, but I still can't find that Panamericana clip. I think I've located the retrospective broadcast from which it was taken (judging from the narration), but not the part that contains "On Top of It All." I suspect that clip may have been taken down.

Here's Network Music's "Newscenter" as heard on China's CNC World (during the Headlines bumper):

Antena 1 in Romania (the clip is of their local station in Constanţa) also uses a well-known American theme, but its name escapes me:

• 2 weeks later...

What Gari theme is Al Jazeera (or Jazeera Satellite Channel, as it was known at the time) using in this clip from 2000? It sounds like the bed from "Enforcer" combined with the "Eyewitness News" signature to me, but I don't have much of an ear for news themes. Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x14FAN56zfc

Staying in the Middle East, here's a historical compilation of opens from MBC (Middle East Broadcasting Center) with various versions of Gari's Advantage and a version of Gari's EWN-like theme also used by POP TV in Slovenia:

What Gari theme is Al Jazeera (or Jazeera Satellite Channel, as it was known at the time) using in this clip from 2000? It sounds like the bed from "Enforcer" combined with the "Eyewitness News" signature to me, but I don't have much of an ear for news themes. Thanks in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x14FAN56zfc

Man, I definitely hear the "Enforcer", but I'm torn between "Eyewitness News" and "NS2K Plus".

Man, I definitely hear the "Enforcer", but I'm torn between "Eyewitness News" and "NS2K Plus".

That signature doesn't exist in any domestic Gari stuff. Gari has been retooling beds and vamps for years! It's an Enforcer-esque bed that threw an Al Jazeera signature overtop. That's my guess.

The AJ signature logo sounds like the bridge melody of News Series 2000 Plus, plus add couple of notes (not that actual theme logo). They probably took that portion of and made that the AJ logo. Yes, Gari is known for his "recycling" of his themes for god knows how long.

Archived