U.S. News Music Abroad: Video Clips

WWUpdate

Here's a 1990 clip of Nine Network in Australia using the CBS Evening News theme (1987-1991; 2011-present) for its Early News -- you'll find the close beginning at the 0:57 mark:

As we've already mentioned in this thread, Nine had also used a version of "I Love Chicago" for this newscast:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That 1991 MBC open sounds out of key/sped up?. The 2007 one is incredible—never knew that there was a version of Advantage like that. That could probably be in the NMSA (much like the ATV-10 MCTYW remix).

Maybe the 2007 version of Advantage was commissioned by MBC exclusively for MBC 1 (since the mid-2000s, with the launch of MBC 2, 3 and 4, the main channel is called "MBC 1") either to Gari or to a third-party company (I personally believe it wasn't made by Gari).

A closer look at how MBC 1 News currently looks like:

[yt]GQ-_n_0N4xU[/yt]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Worldnet was a U.S. government-backed public affairs network produced for international viewers. It eventually merged with the television division of the Voice of America.

As you can hear in this 1986 clip, Worldnet used The News Leader by Jam Productions -- either a cut from the package or an updated version of the theme:

News open:

News close:

Two quick questions:

Does anyone know if the theme currently used by RTL in Germany, an update of Power News, was composed by Non-Stop Music, or did RTL get someone else to update the theme?

Also, I once stumbled upon an Indian (or possibly Pakistani?) station using 615 Music's Newswire, but I've never been able to find it again. Does anyone know what station that could have been?

The theme currently used by RTL in Germany debuted in circa 1998. It is recomposed twice in early 2000s (with sounds of trumpets and some techno music) and mid-2000s. The recomposed ones are all updates of the theme with only the mid-2000s one in different music pitch. And they're possibly made by someone else, at least in Germany or the United States (I presume the mid-2000s one is made in Germany). The video that you posted was in use since 2011 but with slight update at the end of the theme (This is when RTL moved to a new building located close to a river somewhere in Cologne). This is based on my knowledge of watching some RTL Aktuell opener videos on Youtube (now it's hard to find RTL Aktuell videos because they can easily get blocked by the broadcaster).

Regarding the early 2000s theme, see the video at the 0:48 mark (partial only, later switch to another channel which is RTL II which carry RTL Aktuell special broadcast in slight delay where we can hear the theme's music bed for a while)

And the mid-2000s theme at the start of the video (as seen in Switch Reloaded, a German comedy show on German TV show parodies)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNqj2GlaOV

And this is the circa 1998 theme at the start of the video (as seen in Switch, also a German comedy show which is from the late 1990s; came out before Switch Reloaded)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGpX1xnmMFc

From 1996, here's RTL in Germany using Gari's News Line and graphics by Novocom:

Does anyone recognize the music at the very beginning?

From what I understand, News Line was another package commissioned by RTL but syndicated in the US. I have a file calling it "RTL News Package".

The current theme's source remains a mystery.

(This is when RTL moved to a new building located close to a river somewhere in Cologne).

The new facility is the Cologne Broadcast Center located within the Rhein Park building on the Rhine. It's actually not entirely "new" at all, the original building was built in 1922 as an exhibition center and the facade was preserved while a new building was built inside it. That place is pretty high on my list of TV-related buildings I want to visit.

And I'm drawing a blank on this theme from Murr Television (MTV) in Lebanon -- can you help to identify it?

Where It All Happens perhaps? Its music signature does not sound all right, and it seems to have been embellished with some additional, un-Gari-like instruments.

Regarding the "Where It All Happens" theme, the theme is also used by MBC from Dubai, another Middle East broadcaster (I apologise if this has been mentioned in this thread, but I think I didn't read the whole thread's posts).

Anyway, I remember that at one time in early 2006, my country's TV station NTV7 used a cut from the Power News theme. Then in 2007 they use a cut from the late 1990s to 2004 ITV News theme (which makes me excited due to the fact that I also like British TV during that time). Nowadays they don't use either. The name of the newscast on NTV7 is Edisi 7 (in Malay) and 7 Edition (in English). I had made a gallery of a few pictures taken from another user which is related to NTV7's news set at the time when NTV7 used the Power News theme. Here it is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hazim23894/galleries/72157622987418687/

Regarding the "Where It All Happens" theme, the theme is also used by MBC from Dubai, another Middle East broadcaster (I apologise if this has been mentioned in this thread, but I think I didn't read the whole thread's posts).

Anyway, I remember that at one time in early 2006, my country's TV station NTV7 used a cut from the Power News theme. Then in 2007 they use a cut from the late 1990s to 2004 ITV News theme (which makes me excited due to the fact that I also like British TV during that time). Nowadays they don't use either. The name of the newscast on NTV7 is Edisi 7 (in Malay) and 7 Edition (in English). I had made a gallery of a few pictures taken from another user which is related to NTV7's news set at the time when NTV7 used the Power News theme. Here it is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hazim23894/galleries/72157622987418687/

Thank you so much for that info, Hazim! BTW, here's an old version of the ITV News theme (including the Big Ben gongs!) being used in Slovenia:

• 3 weeks later...

How about American movie themes being used as news themes abroad?

Here's the public broadcaster of the Republic of Macedonia using the theme from Back to the Future. (The clip of the open was shown during a 2012 anniversary special, with the old open used to introduce two former anchors as guest-hosts of the program -- I'm not sure when the open was actually used; I think it was in the early 1990s):

"Also Sprach Zarathustra" was composed by Richard Strauss but was also famously used in Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. Here's La Cinq in France (now defunct) using the theme for its news in the late 1980s:

And at the beginning of this compilation, you'll hear America Television in Peru using the theme from The Magnificent Seven by Al Caiola:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7AihEeBuNM

And as a YouTube comment points out, the news theme heard at the 4:05 mark -- from Canal 11 in Guatemala -- is "I, Robot" by the Alan Parsons Project.

As we've already mentioned, several American news themes also make an appearance in this compilation -- including "On Top of It All" by Al Ham.

Archived