News Music Signatures and Station Slogans

WANEFan

Often times, news music package signatures have the same sound as their slogans and/or image campaigns.

Some examples I can think of if the top of my head include:

-Primetime News (Non-Stop): "Channel 5, The Texas News Channel"

-Signature (Arnold): "WBTV NewsChannel 3"

-In-Sink (615): "North Carolina's News Leader" (WRAL's old slogan)

-WREG Custom Package (Gari): "Memphis & Channel 3"

-Together (615): "Together We're Making A Difference, You and NewsChannel 5"

-Making A Difference (Gari): "Channel 12 News, Together We're Making A Difference"

-Convergence (Arnold): "13 Means Local News" (although "Spirit of Hampton Roads" also works)

-Newswatch 24 (615): "NewsChannel 4, Kansas City's 24-Hour News Channel"

-And, of course, all of Jerome Gilmer's Hearst themes ("Where The News Comes First", "Coverage You Can Count On", etc.)

Any others you can think of?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alive: "11 Alive"

Always Worth Your Time: "Always Worth Your Time" (new KPIX slogan, so we've heard)

Decade 90: "California 9"

Ignitor: "NewsChannel 3, WTKR" (I think)

NewsOne: "7 On Your Side"

On Your Side: "Channel 2, On Your Side"(?)

Right Here, Right Now: "Right Here, Right Now" (former KFMB slogan)

Something's Happening Here: "Something's Happening Here" (former WKRN image slogan)

Total Coverage: "Coverage You Can Count On" (somewhat former WPXI slogan, they just added "News" to the beginning when they picked up Flagship)

GCI

Many of their signatures come from the image campaigns that accompanied them.

Advantage: "WFSB, Eyewitness News"(?)

Catch 5: "You Gotta Catch 5"

It's All Right Here: "It's All Right Here on Channel 9"

NBC Flagship: "Channel 11 News"

Newschannel: "We're Atlanta's Newschannel"

On Your Side: "#'s On Your Side"

The One and Only: "The One and Only Channel 10"

The One for All: "Channel 4's the One for All"

So Good to Turn To: "So Good to Turn To"

Where it All Happens: "Where it All Happens"

The World at Home: "It's All About the World at Home"

Edd Kalehoff

We're 4 New York: "We're 4 New York" (image campaign)

Shelly Palmer

Your Eye on Austin: "Your Eye on Austin" (former KEYE slogan)

And of course, let's not forget "I Love Chicago, Chicago My Home" for the WBBM Dick Marx theme, PNP, Enforcer, and others.

Also, "The Spirit of Texas on 8" for TM's "Spirit" and Arnold's "The Spirit" and "Evolution."

About Convergence and "Thirteen Means Local News"...

In about 1999, WVEC changed their slogan from "Working for You" to "Thirteen Means News" and when they picked up Convergence in 2001, they changed to to "Thirteen Means Local News." It slowly died into 2002 and they retired it in mid-2003 (traces of it remained in their opens/talent bumpers). On New Year's Eve 2003 (or New Year's Day 2004, whatever you prefer... LOL) they brought back their "Spirit of Hampton Roads" slogan from the late 80s that they used up until 1996.

Here's a cap of "Thirteen Means Local News" from 2002...

wvec-2002-open2.jpg

More:

-Millennium News (Non-Stop): "It's About All of Us" (former KTVX slogan)

-First News (Non-Stop): "Go 4 It Together" (former WDIV slogan)

-Action News (615): "UPN Atlanta"

-News 2000 (Music Partners): "Coverage You Can Count On"

-KDKA-TV Prime (SoundByte): "KDKA-TV Pittsburgh's 2"

-Bold Branding News (Joe Hogue): "Eyewitness News"

-Counterpoint (Arnold): "Coverage You Can Count On... WHIO"

-Extreme (Arnold): "Your News Now" (former KLRT slogan) or "FOX 16"

-The Eye of Texas (Loomis Productions): "We're The Eye of Texas, CBS 11"

-In-Sink (615): "North Carolina's News Leader" (WRAL's old slogan)

I seem to remember that when KPHO was using it, they tried to fit "Be in the Know with KPHO" into the sig.

What seems to fit the sig to "This is Your News":

- "News 4, This Is Your News"

- "Toledo Eleven"

- "Washington's News 7"

Where it All Happens: "Where it All Happens"

"Calgary 7" (CICT Calgary) seems to fit too. And since it looks like WTRF was Gari's only American client for the package, I was a bit inclined to think that CICT might have commissioned the package.

oh, and Seize The Day (615): "WSMV, Working 4 You"

Klein &'s "We're 4" - The signature is only two notes, but it represents "We're 4". The motive, musically, is an ascending interval of a perfect fourth; perhaps another reference to the slogan/campaign.

And of course, let's not forget "I Love Chicago, Chicago My Home" for the WBBM Dick Marx theme, PNP, Enforcer, and others.

WBBM did do a promo in the late 90s back when they were using Non-Stop's WBBM News where the "I Love Chicago, Chicago my Home" sig had the lyrics "Here's 2 Chicago, And Here's To Our Town".

Hometown News - "KPRC (Channel/Local) 2"

Try "Where Local News Comes First."

I don't think "Where Local News Comes First" actually emerged until around '96 or so, about a year after Hometown News was introduced. Maybe it was actually part of the plans for branding when it was commisioned?

I wouldn't be surprised though if the signature for the KPRC Custom Package would be something like "Channel Two News Is On Your Side", though they did change the slogan from "On Your Side" to "Working For You" just after they rolled their new look out in the late 80's. Working For You is a bit of a tighter fit mind you...

Outlaw News - KTBC(?) - According to NMSA, they and KDFW were the first two stations to use it, and their previous package had a similar four-note signature, where the call sign voice over was timed to match with those four notes.

WDAF had "Working For You" vocals added to Magnum's signature in their open. They fit surprisingly well.

Archived