Cable news outlets drop the ball on Edwards announcement

swillh2k2

Yesterday, while watching the lead-up to the Edwards presser, I saw at least two news outlets (CNBC and CNN--I think CNN, I'm sure of CNBC though) announcing that the Edwards campaign would be suspended since Elizabeth Edwards' cancer had returned...turns out it was a premature report and the campaign will continue. Kudos to the other news outlet, though (again, I think it was CNN), which clarified before the conference and said it was a premature report...but thumbs down to CNBC for sticking to their guns and reporting a story that was clearly false and unfounded.

Anyone else able to catch that? I know CNBC is a business news network but it's backed by NBC News...shouldn't someone have spotted that?

CNBC...I don't know. Since their primary reason for existance is business news, I must say that I kind of expected this. It's the same principle why one wouldn't go to The Weather Channel for March Madness scores and highlights.

I don't know if CNBC and MSNBC work out of the same building. CNBC's facilities are in Englewood Cliffs, NJ (a suburb of metro New York). I don't know whether MSNBC shares space with CNBC at the Englewood Cliff building or works out of 30-Rock.

My point: Communication. If MSNBC did report accurately, but CNBC didn't...? I just don't know.

But I do agree with you that CNBC shouldn't have went on air with incorrect info. If you can't get straight-from-the-horse's-mouth information (whenever possible), then you don't go with it. Or you do go with it, but make it crystal clear by the use of 2 simple words: "unconfirmed reports". Now that's a logic you can live with ;D

Archived