Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Hours of Portland and national news from CBS in 1983. At the end of this linked clip is 18 seconds of a close to some Montana newscast. Any clue as to which station?

My best guess is KECI-13 Missoula.

They're the only station I can think of that would reference both Butte and Kalispell reporters in their credits.

KECI operates a semi-satellite in both Butte (KTVM-6/42) and Kalispell (KCFW-9).

KPAX-8 Missoula would likely have had reporters in Kalispell during that period, but sister-station KXLF-4 Butte operates independently of KPAX (and in fact pre-dates KPAX by several years).

Additionally, there was not a full-time ABC affiliate in western Montana until 1991.

My best guess is KECI-13 Missoula.

And I found one of the people in the credits on LinkedIn—the news director, who began working there in 1983.

The newscast name appears to be WMNews — a name I cannot find anywhere. That has to be incredibly rare material.

Put some new video up on Wednesday

January 25, 1994 NBC Nightly News Promo (Kids Who Kill: part of a series of reports called "America the Violent"):

January 25, 1994 Today Show Clip (Bryant Gumbel interviews A.C. Green)

November 10, 1988 NBC News at This Hour (Connie Chung; only repeat in this group)

March 23, 1992 NBC Nightly News Clip (the main feature being a report on the early stages of Ross Perot's Presidential campaign)

An odd piece of TV history, the second WKAQ ID in this clip circa 1970-71:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tWZhUUYZw4

The reason it's really odd is because I can't find ANY evidence that the 20 and 22 stations were in operation.

Their history goes back to 1960s construction permits/stations: WITA-30 San Juan (which had been on the air at one point but went dark in 1967), WITB-22 Mayagüez and WITP-20 Ponce. In 1970, a sale was proposed to United Hemisphere TV, owner of a motion picture studio on the island. El Imparcial, the seller, changed the stations' callsigns to WUHT, WUHM and WUHP. But the FCC then dismissed the sale in 1971. The stations were probably never built, and new licensees built all of the allocations in the 80s: WRWR-30 San Juan (signed on 1984), WKPV-20 Ponce (1985) and WNJX-22 Mayagüez (1986).

Perhaps a sale fell through and the plan was to turn 20 and 22 into repeaters of WKAQ, and it came so close to happening that they actually made an ID?

————

In incredibly poor quality, but KOAA in 1987 with VTS' NewScore. Note the ID with the new six-feathered peacock but the logo has the Proud N in a 3D animation!:

Back to the mainland, here the first 5 minutes include footage from WFLA and a WTSP news open from 1990:

The One for All! Wow, WTSP's implementation of that package has to be the best of any station.

Interesting to see there's no time or talent on the open, but that's because this aired after Monday Night Football (the date was a Monday) and apparently after midnight.

The One for All! Wow, WTSP's implementation of that package has to be the best of any station.

I've been dying to find more talent opens from that era. It was WTSP's best overall image. Hope to find a full weeknight talent open.

Crommy5 is back!

I never saw this, a KREM promo from 1985 with "We're the Team" imaging. Watch for the KING mug at :24!

I don't recall seeing this KREM 1985 close, either:

Or this different KREM 1985 promo (I've heard the background bed before, somewhere):

Most of the material up for now is KREM stuff, but I imagine the KXLY and KHQ material will return soon.

WTVO in 1993 with the WTVO/WLNS Young stations theme:

A snippet of WIFR from the period. The NMSA just said they used The Coast's People You Can Count On. Even their logo matched KDLH:

For a time in the 90s, KBJR had no full 10pm news and a taped five-minute broadcast, "Topline News at Ten":