Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Well, we have some actual new content to feast on:

* a reel of

(with some voiced by Ernie Anderson!)

* a KVOA open from 1986

* a WTHR open from 1986 — the second example of WTHR using the WBNS 1983 Roger Tallman theme

* KRCG 1986, another copy of the "All We Are, We Are For You/Depend on Us, 13" open (and not one I have seen before)

* The source for all three of those, is this two-part Internet Archive reel: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 — there is MUCH MUCH more, including rarities from KNAZ and WITF!

* KXLY opens from

and

Two WFAA Spirit of Texas promos from 1984.

Speaking of 'Spirit of Texas', here's the inspiration of it all. The CD release of 'Spirit of Texas' by a singer or group rather named 'Mason Dixon':

The 2 min. promo aired on WFAA setting its base to launch the now legendary campaign.

At 2:53 in this video, is a promo from "The Spirit of Tampa Bay" campaign that ran on WXFL from 1982-85:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNMxTX8uE68

There is also a clip from The Joker's Wild with an Editorial from News Director Joe Mannion at 7:27 and then a promo for anchor Suzanne Bates which has a theme which I don't know if it's from The Spirit of Tampa Bay package or a different one as WLWT used it as their news close during their brief stint using Gari's "So Good To Turn To" in 1983. I found it on a WLWT 1983 blooper reel that unfortunately the owner took off of YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOwQ6lguyxk

At 3:00 is that Bill Ratliff carrying a sack of booze? :D

I think those were just Cuban sandwiches.

Here are more Joe Mannion editiorials, all from about 1984 or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mQyEb9pKTQ

Judging by the clips I've seen, I'm now very sure Frank Gari was behind the theme music. The instrumentation is a dead giveaway. A lot of folks, myself included, thought the defunct Collier Concepts composed the music. I still think they were behind the overall production of the "Newswatching out for you" promos, though.

I tried saving The Spirit of Tampa Bay promo but my Windows Movie Maker is acting up. I hope the person who uploaded it doesn't get kicked off because posted the entire game broadcast of Super Bowl XIX is on his channel. The NFL is cracking down hard on their material being on Youtube since they launched the NFL Now video app.

Speaking of 'Spirit of Texas', here's the inspiration of it all. The CD release of 'Spirit of Texas' by a singer or group rather named 'Mason Dixon':

The 2 min. promo aired on WFAA setting its base to launch the now legendary campaign.

I can make out the label on the record in the first video, and under the title it says "(Kirk)". That means this was written by Jim Kirk, so it was almost certainly part of TM's campaign. So I don't think it was really an "inspiration," just a component of the larger promotional campaign.

Found some information from Wally Wawro, who was a part of WFAA Creative Services when "The Spirit of Texas" launched. See the link for the full responses that he provided over the campaign.

An excerpt where he discusses how the Mason Dixon version came about.

I mentioned that Jim Kirk composed an original song for WFAA, "The Spirit of Texas" as part of the sessions in 1984. We didn't do anything with it initially. Somehow or another an east-Texas country band, "Mason Dixon" had heard about the song and started performing it. We weren't happy with Jim's scratch vocal and didn't want it to sound like a jingle (anyone remember Jim's "Voice of Freedom?"). When we heard what they were doing with the song we took a chance and got them into the studio to sing the vocals against Jim's instrumental track. We were pretty happy with it, shot a music video and with the help of one of the country FM's in the market released the song on a 45 (a round 7" vinyl disc with a big hole in the center that somehow or another was able to reproduce music with reasonable quality-for you youngsters). It was sold through a grocery store chain and the money went to charity. I think it sold about 3 thousand copies or so. The song became a hit with elementary school music teachers and we eventually shot several promos with kids singing etc. While the production on the song reflects the 1980s, I think the song itself holds up fairly well today. Enough of me, here's the tune!

And here is an excerpt from another reply regarding the overall campaign:

Nice to see some interest in "SofT" as we called it at WFAA. I was (and still am) a member of the Creative Services department at WFAA and was involved in the development and execution of Spirit of Texas in 1984. At the time "promotion" as it was called was led by Lee Armstrong, a wonderful manager (who later went on to great success with the Cox TV station group) who asked a simple question, "What is WFAA? Designing and developing the campaign was the answer.

Spirit of Texas has been bent, folded, spindled and mutilated through the years. It primarily is used in our community relations activities these days. A form of the musical logo is still in use. I'm told the term still tests very positively.

I don't remember all the details but the first part of the package (image song and the 30 second "mood" pieces (written and lyriced for 3 30 second TV promos) were written and recorded in March of 1984 and introduced in April of that year. The newscast music was recorded in July-August of 1984 and introduced that September. Jim Kirk was responsible for the package though it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't some help from Tom Merriman and Bob Piper with the arrangements, especially since the package had a full contemporary (for 84) orchestral sound, let's face it no one did orchestra better than Tom. I was responsible for it on the WFAA side of things.

The package was added to in bits and pieces over the next 6 years. I remember doing at least 2 more image songs related to Spirit. We went in a different direction with some "consultant driven" news package in 1992 or so (that sucked beyond belief) then had a relationship with Steven Arnold and now 615. But as I said the logo still hangs in there.

http://jinglemad.com/index.php?p=/discussion/8816/the-spirit-of-texas-1985-/p1

To bring us back to WFLA, I have located (on microfilm) and scanned an article from 1984. The scan is not great, so I will reproduce it here. The callsign is incorrectly spelled in the original title:

———

WFXL Captures Spirit Of Tampa

Back Stage 25.45 (November 2, 1984): 65

Tampa's WXFL Channel 8 has a new on-air advertising campaign that takes an authentic, historical journey into "The Spirit of Tampa Bay".

Channel 8 delved into the history books to find the spirit of Tampa's pioneering ancestors, with the help of Tony Pizzo, author/historian and Tampa native, and the Tampa Public Library, all the photographs used in the spots are authentic.

In the late 1890s, Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders "caught the imagination of generations to come", to quote Tampa: The Treasure City. WFXL [sic] Channel 8 brought him back for a visit with the help of Joe Early, a Philadelphia actor well-known for his masterful recreations of historical figures. His makeup and acting artistry include Benjamin Franklin, Ulysses S. Grant, Robert E. Lee and Sitting Bull.

Earl Hammer, creator and narrator of "The Waltons", did the voiceovers. Hammer is an award-winning screenwriter/producer and currently is the co-executive producer of "Falcon Crest".

The production company was Vik Winkle Productions, L.A. and Seattle with Dave Vik directing and Ed Winkle, cinematographer. Jim Collier, of Collier Concepts, L.A., was producer and also came up with the theme of the four :30 spots. An additional :60 was shot around a live event in Tampa to demonstrate community spirit.

———

This confirms the involvement of Collier Concepts on some level in producing Spirit of Tampa Bay, and I suppose "coming up with the theme of the spots" implies music? What is noteworthy is that the campaign was produced in 1982, but this is from late 1984.

I will say that the graphic animations from the 1982 campaign :30 we have are different from the

and radio promos we have with the sung "Watch our Spirit Now" which are very much Collier Concepts work.