Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Wow. The early EWN ones are amazing with the "KTVK-TV is totally Arizona owned and operated" line.

Actually, right now, discounting the pending sale to Meredith and assuming that Gannett does not have any control over KTVK's operations while said sale is pending, KTVK *is* totally Arizona owned and operated...

Part 124 of the NewsActive 3 collection, so much good stuff in here! My personal favorites being the WXII open from around 1990 with their custom Wall-to-Wall theme, WNCT from 1993, and Jeremy Wheeler pre-WAVY

Yeah, that WXII one is amazing. I think that may be an actual Television by Design open but TVbD's 30 Years site does not credit them with any work for WXII. If it isn't it's certainly heavily inspired by their typography and motion graphics choices.

Also, I failed to see the KOOL/KTSP material. There may be another music theme lurking from that super short lived "TV10 News" era. It's so short-lived I think that's the first anyone has unearthed of it. Two to three MONTHS.

Yeah, that WXII one is amazing. I think that may be an actual Television by Design open but TVbD's 30 Years site does not credit them with any work for WXII. If it isn't it's certainly heavily inspired by their typography and motion graphics choices.

Also, I failed to see the KOOL/KTSP material. There may be another music theme lurking from that super short lived "TV10 News" era. It's so short-lived I think that's the first anyone has unearthed of it. Two to three MONTHS.

Seeing TVbD was already doing graphics for WGHP, I think it was a facsimile made in-house. A very, very well-made facsimile, mind you.

There's nothing to see, but there's plenty to hear in this one (just click, trust me it's good):

First iteration of WTHR's Hello News III intros. The station was months away from rebranding to NewsChannel 13, not NewsCenter 13:

There's nothing to see, but there's plenty to hear in this one (just click, trust me it's good):

Could someone help me get my jaw off the floor?

AWESOME find, Raymie!

And now, my own paltry contribution...

WFMZ Berks Edition open with the 1996 theme, 1999: http://youtu.be/rsGcLjMzIxs?t=32m25s

From bpar73's channel, here are a couple of local sports reports

First is one from WAVY featuring a young, slimmer Bruce Rader (listed as 1981; but the date is probably no later than January 8, 1982 due to Bruce making his conference championship predictions* {WAVY switched to "Gold 10" logo/Daily News branding in 1982 last I checked}):

*For what it's worth, Bruce whiffed on picking San Diego over Cincinnati (and the weather :cool: ); and makes no prediction on the NFC Championship.

Also, there's a WVEC sportscast with a young Scott Cash from 1989 (originally listed as 1987; but I mentioned based partly on the WVEC news intro from 1988 graphics/set being much different; as well as Barbara Ciara having returned to that station, this might be 1989 due to there also being baseball scores included in the segment):

From bpar73's channel, here are a couple of local sports reports

First is one from WAVY featuring a young, slimmer Bruce Rader (listed as 1981; but the date is probably no later than January 8, 1982 due to Bruce making his conference championship predictions* {WAVY switched to "Gold 10" logo/Daily News branding in 1982 last I checked}):

This may have very well been from 1981. Back in 2007, right before WAVY did their 50th anniversary special, someone edited the WAVY Wikipedia article putting 1982 as the switch date to that logo and The Daily News, much so that WAVY noted 1982 as the start date for that logo/name in their 50th special. After the special, WAVY uploaded an extensive amount of archive material to their website, including a newscast (sportscast?) that mentioned the then-ongoing 1981 MLB strike.

I honestly believe the gold 10 and The Daily News began in 1981.

Our weekend meteorologist gave us video of himself during his television weather debut -- 30 years ago this month.

Oh wow! Not that I remember Mr. Lauria specifically, but I do remember C13 News. The only "primetime" newscast in the area for years. I believe they came on at 930 pm. At the time WCEE was picked up by most of the cable systems in central and southern Illinois and had a decent OTA signal too. They were a fairly decent general entertainment Indie until the early 90s when Paxson got ahold of it and decimated the syndicated lineup before aiming the signal at St Louis.

Broadcasting out of studios in Mt Vernon, IL I think their *very* low budget newscast lasted maybe 5 or 6 years, if that.

This may have very well been from 1981. Back in 2007, right before WAVY did their 50th anniversary special, someone edited the WAVY Wikipedia article putting 1982 as the switch date to that logo and The Daily News, much so that WAVY noted 1982 as the start date for that logo/name in their 50th special. After the special, WAVY uploaded an extensive amount of archive material to their website, including a newscast (sportscast?) that mentioned the then-ongoing 1981 MLB strike.

I honestly believe the gold 10 and The Daily News began in 1981.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as the local media historian, then; but it's surprising (and rather concerning thinking about it) that there would be that much change to a special based on one Wikipedia edit.

On a side note, it's really a shame WAVY never kept that footage up on their site (or uploaded it to YouTube).

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as the local media historian, then; but it's surprising (and rather concerning thinking about it) that there would be that much change to a special based on one Wikipedia edit.

On a side note, it's really a shame WAVY never kept that footage up on their site (or uploaded it to YouTube).

All it takes it a lazy producer.

KPHO Localized "I am CBS People" promo (11/5/94)

http://youtu.be/ToGlRqKm7UU?t=11m36s

Great find! I never even knew they used that variant. That 5 had debuted in March 1994 as a blue-and-white logo. Now it was purple and teal?

There's also an attack ad against J.D. Hayworth (KTSP sportscaster turned 12-year Republican Congressman) and an ad for John Shadegg (another Republican Congressman who had a good run).

He also has a WTVJ commercial reel from December 1988, complete with "we're switching to NBC" promos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F61X_so6t0

And another KPHO reel from February 1995: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-y5smook2s (news promo at 10:36)

KETV 1989 (new theme, Pulitzer late 80s animations): https://archive.org/details/tobacco_rnx27a00

WTXL 1989: https://archive.org/details/tobacco_ynx27a00

WOTV 1990, Live at 5: https://archive.org/details/tobacco_onx27a00