Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Now that I'm hearing this this morning I completely agree that this is Stephen Arnold. But how did an Arnold package from the 90s manage to go undercover for so long? I bet we're talking about a "WCSC Custom News Package" here.

Not to mention the relationship between the Jefferson-Pilot stations and Arnold, with WBTV and WWBT both using Signature during that time.

• Like 1

Wow, there's a whole song to the KOOL 1981 Theme! Apparently it was made in 1980 with members of the Phoenix Symphony.

(with vocals)

(without)

Come and watch out our window

See the whole world passing by

Come and ride on the sunshine

As we streak across the sky

A million faces and places to see

KOOL-TV 10, the one place to be

Wow, very intrigued.

BTW, before anyone says anything, Audio Video Recorders is the name of the studio it was recorded at, not the company that produced it. So we still don't know who composed/produced it - though it certainly couldn't hurt to ask the person who put it up if he might know...

Wow, very intrigued.

BTW, before anyone says anything, Audio Video Recorders is the name of the studio it was recorded at, not the company that produced it. So we still don't know who composed/produced it - though it certainly couldn't hurt to ask the person who put it up if he might know...

I put in a comment to Jim Heath. This guy, however irregular his uploads are, has been one of the best sources for Phoenix material we've ever had.

More uploads from my YT Channel...

Dallas

WFAA News 8 Midday Close - Summer 1990

Houston

KPRC - Channel Two News at 6:00 (Most) - 5/17/89

KPRC - Ron Stone's Scene at Five World Tour '89 Promo - 5/89

KHOU 11 News Update w/ Marlene McClinton - 5/89

KPRC - "59 South" Community Affairs Program - 12/89

KHOU - For Your Information... and Anyone Else's (2 Reports on Personal Privacy) - 1990

KTRK - Eyewitness Houston: Divorce & Child Custody - 10/90

KPRC - John McPherson Promos - 1/91

KHOU - Election '91 Promo

KPRC - Channel Two News Long Close 11/5/91

KHTV - 39 Houston TV News Close - 11/5/91

KHOU - 11 News at Five Open & First Story - 5/92 (Annoyed this one cut out early... one of the stories teased was the last day of KHTV's news department at that time)

KTRK - 13 Eyewitness News at 6 Close 11/16/97

San Antonio

KSAT NewsWatch 12 at Five (FULL) , 2/28/83

There's another clip of WXIA from January of 1982 and they are using "Hello News". This appears to be the earliest use of it.

Judging by the general trends of when TV stations change things up, I would be willing to guess that Hello News debuted on WXIA on January 1, 1982. As for the revamped "electronic" version of Hello News, I am guessing it debuted with the new logo some time in 1983. Possibly even on New Year's Day 1983 - it was definitely before September, because there is another clip elsewhere on YouTube

The Hello News chronology seems to be falling into place. The "New Standard and Tradition" theme most likely ran from September 1, 1980 (with the switch to NBC) until January 1, 1982. Then the original "Hello News" would have run from 1/1/82 to (at least) 1/1/83, and at some point in '83 the logo and theme changed (probably simultaneously).

It's great to see footage like this surfacing - for a long time, there seemed to be a black hole between "In Tune with Atlanta" during early 1980, and the 1984 CG intro with the updated Hello News...

BTW, that's the same chopper -- N123TV -- as seen in this 1985 promo from KTVK's Eyewitness News era:

In 1996 or thereabouts, this chopper was replaced by N613TV, which was lost in that 2007 mid-air collision with KNXV's chopper.

Was this the same Jim who ran tvnewsthemes.net about a decade or so ago?

Nope. I ran tvnewsthemes.net when I had a little more free time (technically still do, but haven't updated in ages). (Plus I have a lot more content to post and trade....)

I'be been thinking about an update, now that I'm settled in the DC area. Also thinking about a Roku private channel for some newscasts (particularly HD), since I have a new hosting site with lots of storage and no bandwidth caps (and blistering Internet vs. what I had in Houston)

J

I found some more goodies at a garage sale and uploaded them to YouTube. I bought 78 VHS tapes for only $5. More stuff will be on YouTube soon.

WTVT Pulse 13 News Open (4/3/88)

WTSP 10 News Open (1992, Partial) Ed O'Brien as Voiceover

WEWS Eyewitness News Open (1/1/88)

WJW NewsCenter 8 Open (1989)

WEWS Eyewitness News Open (12/25/89)

Boy, radioman1968 these last couple of weeks has been unearthing a lot of Atlanta TV gems, including this one from WAGA in 1980 detailing that in light of the WSB/WXIA network swap, they stayed put with CBS...well, for at least 14 more years:

[yt]BPYyZextqTM[/yt]

And while we're at it...

The channel has some stuff from the other two stations as well.

Headline News promo, 1988:

— The "Headline Sports" snippet features the voice of anchor Don Harrison (who spent a bunch of time at KCMO/KCTV and WTSP then did VO work for Turner, WFLA and WCSC).

And here's Don's video obituary from a decade later. He had the Georgia vanity plate "VOICES":