Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

That's correct: the NMSA lists three cuts of 615's On Your Side as being placed into production libraries.

I'd imagine that would have been years after that WTSP clip though... at that point (1992) it was still being used on WKRN. Guess we'll have to wait and see if it was ever used on their newscasts.

Also a side note on that clip, anyone think the part of the cut at :39 sounds a lot like WWL News?

[yt]6BlOOHrbCvI[/yt]

Go to the 1:59 mark. You'll see an opening from WAAY in Huntsville, AL that for the longest time, we only heard in an audio clip. It's the first opening of the then-new 31 Eyewitness News from 6/12/79. I always wondered what this looked like, as a matter of fact.

Found 2 rare news clips from Macon, GA and they both include news opens:

- WMAZ 1984 clip of a story about gambling at the police FOP lodge (open is at 1:26), also included is a WGXA clip of the news story with open at 10:44.

- WGXA 1983 clip of Macon police chief Ray Pope's termination (open is at :31, features former WFLA "Daytime" host, Dave Nemeth)

The guy seems to be the originator of all the 70s/early 80s Alabama material that was then copied onto other tapes that, for instance, NewsActive3 had. Not all of it was in the collection, though.

Yes, NewsActive3 specifically acknowledges C.A. Lee III in the video containing those Alabama/Florida clips. Some of the Orlando clips also showed up on an earlier iteration of Roger Simmons' site (back when it had video clips). It's clear that Mr. Lee has been around since the early days of tape trading - because while he was the person who circulated the clips, they still originated from other unknown people (even Lee's versions are several generations removed from the original recordings).

WBNS 1984 "People You Can Count On" jingle spot:

I have no idea if this is related to the theme used by WCHS/KTNV from the '80s. I wouldn't be surprised if Otis Conner might be responsible for the WBNS theme.

WBNS 1984 "People You Can Count On" jingle spot:

I have no idea if this is related to the theme used by WCHS/KTNV from the '80s. I wouldn't be surprised if Otis Conner might be responsible for the WBNS theme.

This is the Roger Tallman theme. It's not that, or WFTV 1988 from The Coast, or KLAS 1992.

WJLA 'News 7' intro (1983) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zkhh30Fmb8

WTMJ 'News 4 Milwaukee' intro (1987) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMzuwRJsj54

WRGB 'NewsCenter 6' intro (1987) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm1h8I1YN70

WRC-TV 'Channel 4 News' intro (1986) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxNTYdtC56M

WDVM 'Eyewitness News' intro (1984) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPuyn7hq_Hc (features v/o announcer Mike Lewis teasing the stories for the news)

WDVM 'Eyewitness News' intro (1986) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ldSVH74Ws (features the Gannett Deathstar animation before the intro)

These were all uploaded by YouTube user, PrincessAriel2014, who uploaded these great opens.

I've uploaded several Chicago news opens and one Lansing news open. I've found all of these at a community garage sale yesterday.

WFLD FOX News Open (1/12/97)

WFLD FOX News Open (9/23/97)

WGN 9 O'clock News Open (1991)

WILX TV 10 Action News Open (1991)

WLS ABC 7 News Open (1996)

WLS ABC 7 News Open (1999)

WMAQ NBC 5 News Open (January 1997)

I've uploaded several Chicago news opens and one Lansing news open. I've found all of these at a community garage sale yesterday.

WFLD FOX News Open (1/12/97)

WFLD FOX News Open (9/23/97)

WGN 9 O'clock News Open (1991)

WILX TV 10 Action News Open (1991)

WLS ABC 7 News Open (1996)

WLS ABC 7 News Open (1999)

WMAQ NBC 5 News Open (January 1997)

So many goodies...late-90s WLS is always great, some Jim Rosenfield is a bonus. Great to see Ron Magers, it's rare to see his later work at NBC5 (he hasn't missed a best since). I always forget that Maurice DuBois was at WFLD, especially with the mustache.

Some cool finds from the El Paso/Las Cruces market...

1989 El Paso Press Club Blooper Reel:

KVIA Open from 1989 (Spirit of Texas):

1991 El Paso Press Club Blooper Reel:

KVIA Open from 1994 (Reeks of WSVN and Bill Ratner):

KDBC Open from 1997 (Wall to Wall and Ratner... oh boy):

KDBC Open from 1998:

KVIA Talent Rejoin 1999 (With the Score ABC Affiliate Pack):

KDBC Open from 1999:

And some fresh stuff from Jacky: a

with 615's Power News and an unknown theme for this
open.

A

open from the "Stay In Touch With 10" series, very late in the run. The top story, a Sarasota circus performer dies in Hialeah, Florida, dates this to April 17, 1988.

A

(love the logo with the shape of Minnesota in negative space) and a

A WRCB 1996 "Walls and Balls" open. For more Chattanooga, at one minute in the background music in the WDEF newsbreak in this video is TuesdayC, which was unknown for WDEF.

And to round it out, a cut of Newsleader you *haven't* heard before in

!