Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

A WSNS sales presentation from late 1985. The station had just shed its subscription television service and switched to full-time Spanish. (The presentation is in English, however.)

There's a news open at :40 in. The theme for the news open is Network Music's Energy II.

WISH 1989 morning open. NewsCenter II + Dude Walker VO (which the NMSA doesn't credit...he's pretty young here) + that stripe transition that a bunch of Pulitzer stations were using:

WISH 1997 morning open. Still using Newsleader, but the look of the station had definitely changed since the early part of the decade. Note the female VO, too:

Also, a close from 1992. The "Back Home Again in Indiana" melody is fairly easy to pick out here, plus Newsleader is one of my personal favorite packages:

WTVY 1993/94 (We'll Take You There) at 2:12:

WINK 1983 News Opens:

I've heard the theme before, although I can't remember which station(s).

KOTA 1996 News Theme by JAM Productions (for Close Up), WGHP 1984 News Theme (for everything else). Incredible find. That means that that KOTA theme is much, much earlier.

KVOA, KGUN, SIN and so much more from Tucson in 1980! KVOA's using Cool Hand Luke, KGUN has a close theme beginning at 16:55, and a couple seconds of a KOLD close using the McGraw-Hill style "TheNews" name.

Almost exactly like KMGH—music, graphics (except for color), animation are a dead ringer.

I'm now wondering how long KOLD used the TheNews name and if they ever used anything close to this.

Also from Maclovio's account, some really cheesy KENS promos from 1976 (probably not 1975). The last one, with its depictions of Native Americans and smoke signals, could never fly today:

Almost exactly like KMGH—music, graphics (except for color), animation are a dead ringer.

I'm now wondering how long KOLD used the TheNews name and if they ever used anything close to this.

Also from Maclovio's account, some really cheesy KENS promos from 1976 (probably not 1975). The last one, with its depictions of Native Americans and smoke signals, could never fly today:

I was looking him up on Google to see what he's up to nowadays and his facebook has a bunch of his old collegues including Steve Rambo from KCBS who grew some old man dreads.

543921_10151548877293120_1218366752_n.jpg

Ooh boy! *licks lips*

KTSP Daybreak with Pinnacle, 1993:

KTSP noon with a new theme (!), 1990:

KTSP was not using its "1989 News Theme" (which was only for Nightcast) on its other newscasts. I can say I've never heard this one before.

Important announcement: You might remember my YouTube Channel TexasTV, well yesterday; I accidentally deleted my YT account; in which also means the loss of full newscasts and game shows I uploaded in the past 6 1/2 years. The good news is that I have a new YT account: 1TexasTV. I'll re-upload full newscasts, promos and game shows in the first week of July, you have my word on it. See you in July.

Well, it's clear from that clip that in '93, WXIA was still using Hello to close out the 11PM news - as another YT clip from 1990 shows. They probably didn't drop it until they went to their custom Gari package.

NMSA's 1980-1990 start/end for Hello News isn't accurate - from what I've seen, I think it started in 1982, widespread use lasted until 1986 when Great News was introduced, and that 11:00 close music held out until at least '93 and quite likely into '94.

KSHB didn't start a full news department until 1993, but from 1985 to the late 1980s they ran a 15-minute 10pm newscast, 41 Express.

This open is a real treat: music, voiceover, TVbD graphics. The animation actually appears in one of the TVbD demos.

SESAC lists Chip Davis of Mannheim Steamroller as having done a news theme and other on-air music for KSHB. Could this be his work? We don't want to blindly speculate, of course...

There are also SESAC records of news themes by Davis for KMGH and KMTV. Maybe the KMTV 1990 clip in the last page is his theme? (I dunno what KMGH theme could have been his - the 1989 one?)

This does sound sorta Mannheim Steamroller-y. The portion around :20 reminds me of their version of Classical Gas (which WKEF picked up and used in the late 80s and early 90s as their news theme).

Jeffrey, check your PMs—I think I've hit another news theme find in the SESAC repertoire.

SESAC lists Chip Davis of Mannheim Steamroller as having done a news theme and other on-air music for KSHB. Could this be his work? We don't want to blindly speculate, of course...

There are also SESAC records of news themes by Davis for KMGH and KMTV. Maybe the KMTV 1990 clip in the last page is his theme? (I dunno what KMGH theme could have been his - the 1989 one?)

It's possible - the music does have a certain element of the band's 'sound' to it, although somewhat toned down to a point.

I'd love to know who did the jazzy theme for the early 90s newscasts they aired as a FOX affiliate. I have a newscast of theirs from 1993 or 94 that I'll have to post at some time.

From WAVY's SportsWrap vault (and thus bookended with weekend guy Brian Parsons); here's a 1984 sports report in which Bruce Rader travels to Met Park (then home of the Norfolk Tides) and interviews a band named Tricks with a very...interesting take on "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"

The best "We're 4 New York" ever. From 1993. From Edd Kalehoff's YouTube. Adds the first 30 seconds that was clipped on what some of us had as a Real Player clip from many moons ago. And the one YT user HollywoodDerek2 posted 5+ years ago.

If you cant help but sing this entire song out loud, something is wrong with you!

'NW

The best "We're 4 New York" ever. From 1993. From Edd Kalehoff's YouTube. Adds the first 30 seconds that was clipped on what some of us had as a Real Player clip from many moons ago. And the one YT user HollywoodDerek2 posted 5+ years ago.

If you cant help but sing this entire song out loud, something is wrong with you!

'NW

Seriously, that NEVER gets old.