Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

18 hours ago, Breaking News said:

WSB-TV 1992- Noon News w/ Chris Curle [Justin Farmer's mother]  Vic Carter  [Now at WJZ]

I'm a simple man. I see a vintage WSB video and click on it. Never am I let down.

So this confirms the "Image VIII" theme was used in '92. 

• Like 2

WTVT (CBS) from 1994, just weeks before the New World deal was announced. Several former WTVT staffers have mentioned on Facebook about remembering the day that staff gathered in studio B to hear the "jaw-dropping"news about the switch to Fox

Edited by 8Viewer
  • Like 2

SchfiftythreeRetroTV does it again with this WHO open from 1986, based off of their short lived "It's WHO We Are" logo and campaign from Peters:

By the fall of that year, they went back to the previous logo (only for it to be replaced the following year) and switched to News Image: 

On 11/21/2020 at 10:27 PM, 8Viewer said:

Several former WTVT staffers have mentioned on Facebook about remembering the day that staff gathered in studio B to hear the "jaw-dropping"news about the switch to Fox

Wow. I've been using several search terms on Facebook to find these mentions to no avail; what search terms would I use??? Would be interesting to hear about such a monumental event in TV history (the Fox switches that occurred in the '90s) from those who were there at the time (and also at other stations that switched to Fox)....

Or a screen shot of some of these convos will do......

UPDATE: Never mind, was just on Facebook; I found them..........

Edited by J1975am
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 2:39 PM, J1975am said:

Wow. I've been using several search terms on Facebook to find these mentions to no avail; what search terms would I use??? Would be interesting to hear about such a monumental event in TV history (the Fox switches that occurred in the '90s) from those who were there at the time (and also at other stations that switched to Fox)....

Or a screen shot of some of these convos will do......

UPDATE: Never mind, was just on Facebook; I found them..........

Do you have the link?

On 11/23/2020 at 9:16 PM, SoFloTVClassics said:

2 1975 WXYZ Promos

1985 MOVE House bombing coverage.

WNEV 1985 news snippet

1989 Full Loma prieta Earthquake coverage, like you've never seen before.

Indeed, hell of a find! I'd assume since the World Series was on the schedule that evening, a lot of the main anchor teams were off that night.

Ace reporter Mark Coogan broke in during Roseanne at the old Eyewitness Newsroom on Prospect Ave. Then he jumped into the studio with a young Laura Diaz (now at KTTV). It appears that Paul Moyer and Ann Martin may have been off, they both mentioned that they were in the car to get to the station. You see the 2 shot with Paul and Ann, Paul was speaking without his mic and put it on. They were the 5pm/11pm anchors at that time. Later on you see Harold Greene and Tawny Little in the studio. Great find and a great video to see Tawny!! I believe KABC still had an hour long 6pm at that time. I believe Tawny may have anchored the 6:30 (or Laura, can't recall). Should have been around the time Jerry Dunphy left to start up KCAL with Pat Harvey. Huge history lesson in LA TV news here.

I believe Bill Press was the political commentator for KABC at the time. He later went on in a similar role at KCOPs Real News and was a radio host on KABC-AM.

3 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

Some Hampton Roads news clips from September 1995 (as well as January 1997), worth noting is that it features the last days of TV 3 News and the first of NewsChannel 3 over at WTKR:

A month afterwards (10/9/1995) WTKR reverted to its “News Channel 3” branding and completely shed its tabloid look, including a new set and an outdoor weather spot.

We got some clips
1985 KCBS news open
https://youtu.be/xaQCBkFvBZQ

1995 WXYZ news open (jump to 47:18)
https://youtu.be/iAXmi-Jbv1g

1992 WUSA news open
https://youtu.be/ouvmEUkBfaA

1986 KCBS news open (jump to 44:03)
https://youtu.be/Mi3JPWZmuV0

Edited by Yankees4life

WTMJ "News Force 4" promo (An apparently short lived designation for their ENG teams) from 1980

WTMJ News Open from the same era as the above promo:

And last but not least, a complete WTMJ 10pm newscast, with commercials... from 1968! Includes a few minutes of The Tonight Show at the end.

• Like 3

On 11/26/2020 at 1:57 PM, SoFloTVClassics said:

I don't know whether to post this here or in the international thread, but here's a short intro from KCBS as seen from South Korean broadcaster KBS from 1987.

That full open, with what I suspect is a Michael Randall theme, is definitely going in my wish list. 

1 hour ago, hmaxhanson said:

I'll let this clip speak for itself. Your welcome @Info Junkie!

Was not expecting the Times New Roman-esque font on the talent names and the titles at the beginning. Looks out of place for the rest of the look. But still quite the find!

Heres Maurice DuBois in Sacto:

• Like 2