Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

I discovered more boatload of vintage Miami clips. So let's start with the first two.

WCIX (now WFOR) with the Retherford report on movie making. 1984

WTVJ News 4 (now nbc 6) also the same thing. 1984

Edited by SoFloTVClassics

On 5/2/2020 at 11:06 AM, TexasTVNews said:

Compare to the '87 & 88 intro of WSVN's 11pm News intro. You'll notice the difference in the NewsCenter 7 Tonight opening. The NBC peacock on their Satellite truck (Skycom 7) in the 1988 11pm open was removed knowing that 'SVN is losing its NBC affiliate to 'TVJ in 1989. 

Compare the 1985 open, and you'll notice that WSVN used to call it's sat truck Newstar 7 before changing it to Skycom. Why change? Because Newstar was a trademark of Hubbard's CONUS network; and around 1986 or so WTVJ would supplant WSVN as the CONUS affiliate in Miami (perhaps foretelling NBC's identical move a few years later). Hence WSVN had to change their sat truck's name.

Edited by TheOneManHerd

59 minutes ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

From 1-21-1983, here is a broadcast of ABC's World News Tonight. At 29:13, you get to see a WNGE ID with a news open featuring the late Ed Hopkins voicing the open.

Looks like Ted Koppel pulled double duty that night (first WNT, then Nightline).

3 hours ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

From 1-21-1983, here is a broadcast of ABC's World News Tonight. At 29:13, you get to see a WNGE ID with a news open featuring the late Ed Hopkins voicing the open.

Possibly the oldest footage of an Ed Hopkins-voiced open yet. 

On 4/15/2020 at 1:39 PM, capsgm2002 said:

RIP Gary Drapcho - 36 years at Erie's WSEE and WICU - Here's a couple of promos from the "Hello Erie" era

CapsGM, I don't remember seeing you here in a while!

From btm0815ma: the Nov. 17, 1978 broadcast of WNT (opening has billing reversed; usually Peter would be billed first from London, then Max in Chicago, then Barbara or Howard with special reports/commentaries/editorials if any, and finally Frank would lead off from Washington; this one, however, had Frank billed first, then Max, then Barbara, before having Peter Jennings lead off from London).

Edited by bmasters1

12 hours ago, VHS2004 said:

CapsGM, I don't remember seeing you here in a while!

Like everyone else, I've got more free time. Fortunately I'm still employed. Lots of great clips coming on here lately!

22 hours ago, hmaxhanson said:

WUTR from 1978(!):

News anchor on here is a very young Matt Schwartz (formerly of WWOR, now at KVOA in Tucson). This is years after the bizarre film noir open.

9 minutes ago, capsgm2002 said:

Like everyone else, I've got more free time. Fortunately I'm still employed. Lots of great clips coming on here lately!

News anchor on here is a very young Matt Schwartz (formerly of WWOR, now at KVOA in Tucson). This is years after the bizarre film noir open.

Film noir open?

This is from WTKR’s TV3 year (because the station did this look for just over a year) in March of 1995. With the flashy open that synced with “Global Village” by SAM (which WTKR Commissioned), this is the only news music by Stephen Arnold that I like.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TheMassMediaGeek said:

This is from WTKR’s TV3 year (because the station did this look for just over a year) in March of 1995. With the flashy open that synced with “Global Village” by SAM (which WTKR Commissioned), this is the only news music by Stephen Arnold that I like.

I posted this a while back but glad you enjoyed it! I was excited to come across it because there wasn't a whole lot of the "It's Time for TV-3" look online.

The same tape also has most of the 5pm news on it (the beginning was taped over with WTKR from 1999... appears they used the tape to record soaps and they let it run). This gives you a look at the franchise opens, etc.

• Like 3