Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

On 1/27/2020 at 7:09 PM, TheRolyPoly said:

Sorry to bring this up and I know it doesn't deserve to belong here since its 2008-present but its related to the ERA topic.

If you've been wondering what Carol Jenkins (former WNBC'er) has been up to... here you go.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?466272-4/washington-journal-carol-jenkins-discusses-efforts-ratify-equal-rights-amendment

Wow! Carol Jenkins looks great!

I've wondered about Craig myself. I was hoping that there would be a where-are-they-now article mentioning him, but I haven't been able to find it.

By the way, here's a clip of Craig from 1978, when he was still at WMAQ:

• Like 4

By the way, if you've wondered what happened to the other longtime Chicago anchor in the clip above -- Jim Ruddle --, here's your answer:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/catching-up-with-jim-ruddle_chicago/1979306/

And here's a 1976 clip of Ruddle from Chicago's WTTW, where he co-anchored The Callaway-Ruddle Report (the forerunner of Chicago Tonight) before joining WMAQ:

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 3

1983 Week 11 Seattle/St. Louis NFL broadcast on NBC, from the old Busch Stadium in St. Louis (preceded by a full edition of NBC's NFL '83 pregame show w/Len Berman, Pete Axthelm, Bill Macatee, Dave Marash and Ahmad Rashad; the first time I've ever seen that season's NFL pregame show from NBC)

• Like 3

On 1/25/2020 at 9:13 PM, Ntropolis said:

TVARK is back online: https://www.tvark.org/?page=644

It appears this user is Bandicam-ing their stuff and re-uploading to Youtube. Not cool, bro.

What do you use to capture 60fps? I would love to transition to this for my uploads at some point.

I originally used my MiniDV camcorder and transfered it to Premiere/FCPX and set the timeline at 60 frames instead of 30 frames per second.

• Like 1

Here's another WFLD newscast, this time from 1994. For a while in the '90s, WBBM and WFLD were trying "out-WSVN" each other with tabloid news values and graphics. Bizarrely, this edition leads with a health story:

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 2

On 2/17/2018 at 1:44 PM, Samantha said:

WCAX's full 40th anniversary special in 1994 (new open excerpt at 21:26). Watch for a brief clip of a young(er) Bernie Sanders at 24:51!

WCAX did a wonderful job with their 60th anniversary special in 2014. It's one of the best station history documentaries I've ever seen. (And yes, it's not technically a pre-2008 video, but it has plenty of classic footage):

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 1

A new clip of WMAQ's First Thing in the Morning from Bob Sirott's wacky early '90s stint at the station -- and early on in the clip, we even get a nice view of WMAQ's first newsroom set in the NBC Tower:

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 2

From KTVK in Phoenix, a part of "Hands Across America" coverage from 1986 with weekend anchors Heidi Foglesong and Frank Camacho; this was just before the station's transition from Eyewitness News to NewsChannel 3. As you can see in the clip, Mary Joe West was still at KTVK, but within a few weeks, Heidi Fogelsong would replace her on weekdays and West would leave the station and commercial television news for good:

By the way, it's interesting to note that KTVK was already using the orange-and-purple-rainbow NewsChannel 3-era lower-thirds in May 1986, before the name change. As we've seen, KTVK was still using the old lower-thirds in December 1985:

Edited by WWUpdate

Couple from me as I continue skimming through tapes for some "new" vintage materials - stuff that wasn't posted on my previous YouTube channel.

An open from a KPRC 10 PM weekend newscast from April 1991. 

A news update, also from KPRC, from May 1985. I have a complete newscast from the same evening that I'll upload in the near future.

An observation during one of the breaks on the same tape: I'm thinking there may have been some demo work that John Christopher Burns may have done which ended up on air prior to the look they ultimately ended up using when they launched the "Channel Two News" brand/logo/set, etc. about three months later. I don't have much from this particular stretch so far, but I hadn't seen it elsewhere.

At the least, it sorta feels like some of the stuff he did earlier in the decade...

0HxIFfp.jpg

Edited by NewsStar2