Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Chris Sloan archive gravy train keeps giving. There's even some rare KHJ from 1988! The 9:00 VO at the time would later do a lot of ABC Sports work in the late 80s and 90s. The 1:00 one was a

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

KSPR in 2005 when it was called "Springfield 33 News"--Here are a couple of sponsored idents and a short teaser. 

 

 

I probably remember the Springfield 33 News era during the times my parents and I would make that 4 hour trip to Branson for a Vacation

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

KOLR10 in June 2004

 

 

And here is another from KOLR10 in 2004.    By the end of that year, they switched to a new logo and set.  As seen here, they also changed the opening sequence.  You can also see David Oliver, who is still with the station.  Ted Keller can be seen in both videos and left KOLR10 earlier this decade.  I miss seeing Ted on the air.

 

 

For me, this is pure nostalgia.  This station is what got me really interested in broadcasting growing up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheRyan said:

KOLR10 in June 2004

 

 

And here is another from KOLR10 in 2004.    By the end of that year, they switched to a new logo and set.  As seen here, they also changed the opening sequence.  You can also see David Oliver, who is still with the station.  Ted Keller can be seen in both videos and left KOLR10 earlier this decade.  I miss seeing Ted on the air.

 

 

For me, this is pure nostalgia.  This station is what got me really interested in broadcasting growing up.

I'm curious to know when did KOLR and the other Springfield stations started doing the lake level reports on the lakes around the viewing area?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I'm curious to know when did KOLR and the other Springfield stations started doing the lake level reports on the lakes around the viewing area?

 

I searched through a few vintage videos on YouTube from KOLR10, KY3, and KSPR and I didn't find any lake level reports prior to that time.  I'm thinking that KOLR10 may have only recently added that to their newscasts.   But I'm not certain on that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

 

I searched through a few vintage videos on YouTube from KOLR10, KY3, and KSPR and I didn't find any lake level reports prior to that time.  I'm thinking that KOLR10 may have only recently added that to their newscasts.   But I'm not certain on that.

I think they may have started doing that in the late 2000s or something like that I remember when I went to Branson with my parents around 2007/08 (I was about 9 to 10 years old at the time) KOLR did a lake level report at the time so it could've been after 2004/05 when KOLR and the other Ozarks stations started doing that

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived in southern Missouri from 1986 until 1992. For most of that time, all three of the Springfield stations were showing lake levels during the newscasts.  KY3 and KOLR used simple chyron graphics (with a generic shot of a lake in the background), with KY3 showing the levels going into the commercial break before weather. It seems like KOLR showed the levels in a couple of different places over the years. KSPR, like KY3, showed the levels going into the commercial break before weather, but the levels were plotted on the weather computer -- a map graphic for Missouri lakes, and a wipe transition to a map graphic of Arkansas lakes.

Edited by LorenKarr
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LorenKarr said:

I lived in southern Missouri from 1986 until 1992. For most of that time, all three of the Springfield stations were showing lake levels during the newscasts.  KY3 and KOLR used simple chyron graphics (with a generic shot of a lake in the background), with KY3 showing the levels going into the commercial break before weather. It seems like KOLR showed the levels in a couple of different places over the years. KSPR, like KY3, showed the levels going into the commercial break before weather, but the levels were plotted on the weather computer -- a map graphic for Missouri lakes, and a wipe transition to a map graphic of Arkansas lakes.

So that's been going on since at least the 80s/90s

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

So that's been going on since at least the 80s/90s

Yup. For a time, KOLR was splitting its weathercasts into two segments, with the first segment being the guts of the cast: maps, satellite, etc., then there would be a commercial break. Lake levels were shown going into that commercial break. After the break, the detailed forecast, extended forecast, etc..  When they weren't breaking the weathercasts into two segments, I want to say that they showed lake levels at about the midpoint of the commercial break following weather.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to know.  I wonder if it's possible that it started even before the 80s.  It makes sense that they have been running lake levels for a long time.  The market is heavily agricultural with lots of places to boat on.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

Good to know.  I wonder if it's possible that it started even before the 80s.  It makes sense that they have been running lake levels for a long time.  The market is heavily agricultural with lots of places to boat on.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised. I think one of the first things KY3 videotaped (not filmed) was the dedication of Table Rock Dam. Those lakes have played a major role in the history of the Ozarks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, LorenKarr said:

I wouldn't be a bit surprised. I think one of the first things KY3 videotaped (not filmed) was the dedication of Table Rock Dam. Those lakes have played a major role in the history of the Ozarks.

Which that is literally right around the corner from where my parents and I have our Condos are at and also we go by there often when we're up in Branson. I live about 4 to 5 hours or so outside of Branson so we try to go up there at least once a year, do Sight and Sound, the Showboat and also eat at Lambert's in Ozark, MO.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LorenKarr said:

I wouldn't be a bit surprised. I think one of the first things KY3 videotaped (not filmed) was the dedication of Table Rock Dam. Those lakes have played a major role in the history of the Ozarks.

 

Is there a tape of that somewhere online?  That would be very interesting to look at. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

 

Is there a tape of that somewhere online?  That would be very interesting to look at. 

 

The only reason I know that is because it was mentioned in their 35th anniversary special back in 1988. I'm not sure that I digitized that portion of the special. Several years back, I posted a short clip of station IDs, image campaigns, etc., from the program.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Info Junkie said:

For my 400th video upload, I present a fully updated and restored montage of TEGNA’s crown jewel WXIA-TV:

 

 

I don't know if I would call it as their crown jewel if their sister station nearby (almost 1hr, 20mins away) does better in the ratings than them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.