Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
HulkieD

Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Recommended Posts

On 1/24/2018 at 10:49 PM, WWUpdate said:

WLS, Chicago; 10 p.m. (excerpts, including the close), 1971 -- a rare clip from the Flynn-Daly (Eyewitness) News-branded era:

 

 

 

I just noticed that NMSA has WLS adopting Cool Hand Luke in 1969. Is that a mistake, or did WLS use Cool Hand Luke and From Russia With Love (heard in the clip above) simultaneously on different newscasts? Or  -- this is the third possibility -- is the clip above not from 1971?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WWUpdate said:

 

I just noticed that NMSA has WLS adopting Cool Hand Luke in 1969. Is that a mistake, or did WLS use Cool Hand Luke and From Russia With Love (heard in the clip above) simultaneously on different newscasts? Or  -- this is the third possibility -- is the clip above not from 1971?

 

FuzzyMemories doesn't mess up dates. That said, this documentary from 1968 (still WBKB) uses FRWL, so I'd guess that's what they used going back to at least the launch of the Flynn-Daly EWN branding. When they adopted/went all-in on CHL is anyone's guess, as there's a big hole in WLS opens from 1971-76 (Video link only available/public for this month)

 

https://museum.tv/PP_ONLINE/TV_00146.mp4

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, 24994J said:

 

FuzzyMemories doesn't mess up dates. That said, this documentary from 1968 (still WBKB) uses FRWL, so I'd guess that's what they used going back to at least the launch of the Flynn-Daly EWN branding. When they adopted/went all-in on CHL is anyone's guess, as there's a big hole in WLS opens from 1971-76 (Video link only available/public for this month)

 

https://museum.tv/PP_ONLINE/TV_00146.mp4

 

Wow, what a great find! Thanks for sharing it.

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Chicago news themes, this is where Dick Marx's famous WBBM signature comes from:

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a retrospective...in a retrospective as WCIA's historical archive segment digs up a story about 25 years of newsman (and ND) Dave Shaul:

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, it might be less time-consuming to come up with a list of markets where Udell hasn't worked! ;)

 

He didn't stay long at any particular station, did he?

 

Here he is during his second stint in Chicago:

 

 

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

At this point, it might be less time-consuming to come up with a list of markets where Udell hasn't worked! ;)

 

He didn't stay long at any particular station, did he?

 

Here he is during his second stint in Chicago:

 

 

 

I was going to say that was peak Udell market wise then looked online and saw he did stints in LA and NY early on. 

 

He figured out settling down in Hawaii though...long long run there. Looking good in retirement here

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've seen this before, but this is how Udell was introduced to WTHR in Indianapolis back in 1976; the promos were either done by Joe Sedelmaier (of WLS and Wendy's "Where's the beef?" fame) or by someone closely imitating his style:

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They might have both been ABC affiliates in Missouri, but the 2 NewsTeam != NewsTeam 2:

 

 

The guy who uploaded this also put up an hour of his own work, including rare looks at KBCI and KCRG in the late 70s/early 80s. One open at 5:57.

 

 

What's appalling? That open was new in January 1984 which is when the story is from — the station had just changed logos and the open looks like it's 1980 or 1979. (NewsCenter II as a theme is one clue this is laaaate.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WWUpdate said:

KOIN, Portland, OR; 11 p.m. (complete), 1988:

 

 

Cool - Welch style graphics but without a Newsmat set

 

That's a bare bones newsroom!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy does this 1995 KABC morning news promo seem familiar: 😉

 

 

Here's the WLS version from two years later (go to the 1:47 mark😞

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely posted earlier in this thread, but howzabout 90 minutes of the WLS afternoon newscasts from exactly 30 years ago tonight?

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently came across a rare newscast from KXII-TV 12 featuring anchorman John Hurt, dated 1980.

Here is another rare news clip from Texas. This time, we take you to KGBT-TV for a news open from 1983-84.

And here is a weekend news open from KGBT from 1984.

And another KGBT open from the early 1980s using the WAVY news theme from Tuesday.

And...a news open using the NBC TV-Radio Telepulse theme.

 

Edited by KnoxvilleTVFan
Added more rare KGBT opens from Facebook.
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That bumper at :57 on the KGBT "NBC Newspulse" open sounds awfully like "Home Country"

Edited by 8Viewer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

I recently came across a rare newscast from KXII-TV 12 featuring anchorman John Hurt, dated 1980.

Here is another rare news clip from Texas. This time, we take you to KGBT-TV for a news open from 1983-84.

And here is a weekend news open from KGBT from 1984.

And another KGBT open from the early 1980s using the WAVY news theme from Tuesday.

And...a news open using the NBC TV-Radio Telepulse theme.

 

Wow lots of Texas TV legends here. Ron Oliveira, Gloria Campos, Jeff Eliasoph....

 

Also how is that the WAVY News Theme? It sounds Tuesday but I don’t think I’ve heard that cut before.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

And...a news open using the NBC TV-Radio Telepulse theme.

 

Weird, considering KGBT was only a secondary NBC affiliate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Chicago, a short WFLD news promo from that brief period in 1987 when the station aired news at 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. (an unusual time slot for a Central Time station!), but not at 9 p.m.:

 

 

By the way, the first "32" logo seen above -- from "Latenight 32" -- was the station's pre-Fox logo.

 

And here are the first seven minutes of a WFLD newscast from the following year:

 

 

Edited by WWUpdate
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.