Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

WAGA -TV about the 94 switch

WXIA about the switch 94 switch

All I can say is, boy what a dump channel 69 was back then! We can all be thankful that Channel 46 caved in and let CBS make them their new affiliate.

BTW, Channel 69's potential purchase by and affiliation with CBS went as far as having them running CBS' daytime shows (CBS This Morning, Price is Right and the soaps) in the weeks leading up to the switch (WAGA had already pre-empted them for an expanded morning news and talk shows).

• Like 5

All I can say is, boy what a dump channel 69 was back then! We can all be thankful that Channel 46 caved in and let CBS make them their new affiliate.

BTW, Channel 69's potential purchase by and affiliation with CBS went as far as having them running CBS' daytime shows (CBS This Morning, Price is Right and the soaps) in the weeks leading up to the switch (WAGA had already pre-empted them for an expanded morning news and talk shows).

WVUE Channel 69 would of been just like WWJ in Detroit. Idk if 69 would of gotten a newscast, and 69 already was airing The Price is Right & CBS This Morning before the switch. The soaps were still on WAGA. Glad that 46 was able to pick-up CBS and it took 46 awhile to expand their news. They moved 10pm to 11pm. It wasn't until 1995 they got a noon news. They did do morning cut-ins. It wasn't until fall of 1996 46 started doing a 6pm news. I do wonder if CBS would of bought WATL would CBS' investment would have been there?

As for Detroit if WKBD was never sold from Cox, CBS would of made a great investment in Detroit. WADL owners was asking alot from CBS and they were willing to move. WXON-TV20 wasn't interested, because they were looking for to WB. When you look at the whole switch. I think many things could of been done differently in several markets.

• Like 1

KTBC Channel 7 Austin 1980 Promo

KENS 1983 ID

KENS 1985 News ending

WEWS 1986 Eyewitness News

They were still using “Catch 5” by February 1987. Its been believed (speaking of them) that WAGA had been the commissioner of Good News, and not WPLG, as it didn’t have it either by 1987 as well.

• Like 3

They were still using “Catch 5” by February 1987. Its been believed (speaking of them) that WAGA had been the commissioner of Good News, and not WPLG, as it didn’t have it either by 1987 as well.

I still believe WPLG was the first but that's just me.

Anyway (non-news) the HGTV/Food Network 9/11 Sad theme has finally been found.

• Like 1

WVUE Channel 69 would of been just like WWJ in Detroit. Idk if 69 would of gotten a newscast, and 69 already was airing The Price is Right & CBS This Morning before the switch. The soaps were still on WAGA. Glad that 46 was able to pick-up CBS and it took 46 awhile to expand their news. They moved 10pm to 11pm. It wasn't until 1995 they got a noon news. They did do morning cut-ins. It wasn't until fall of 1996 46 started doing a 6pm news. I do wonder if CBS would of bought WATL would CBS' investment would have been there?

As for Detroit if WKBD was never sold from Cox, CBS would of made a great investment in Detroit. WADL owners was asking alot from CBS and they were willing to move. WXON-TV20 wasn't interested, because they were looking for to WB. When you look at the whole switch. I think many things could of been done differently in several markets.

... and because WGCL pulled the rug out from under them, Viacom stepped in and turned it into a UPN O&O. Viacom was starting its process of selling its Big Four affiliates at the time, and chose to sell KSLA to Ellis Communications in order to free up cap space. (Something I only learned last week from a 1994 B&C article posted on American Radio History that was among several I was using as sources for an expansion of a Wikipedia article about KSLA as well as articles about other Shreveport-area stations on that site.)

• Like 2

Promo for WWHO’s 10pm news - 1995. Originally entitled News 4 Prime and later the WB-53 10:00 News and finally NewsChannel 4 at 10 on WB 53... it was produced by WCMH from 1994 to 1998, until NBC sold the station to Paramount/Viacom.

NBC, for a time, stunted with an hour of news on WWHO. After the 10pm news ended, a same-day repeat of EXTRA aired from WCMH... this was before the Leeza Gibbons era of Extra and it became all celebrity fluff.

It was originally anchored by Cabot Rea and Jane Yamamoto until 1995 and they were replaced by Mike Jackson who remains at WCMH to this day and Deena Centofanti who is now at WJBK.

10pm news didn’t return to WWHO until 2005 when WBNS entered into a news-share arrangement with them under Viacom. It carried over through the sale to LIN.

• Like 2

KLFY; Lafayette, LA; 10 p.m.; 1995:

Two more from Jacky9br:

First, a 6:00 p.m. edition of KTAL's Newscenter 6 from May 19, 1997 (featuring the production music theme that still needs identifying for title and composer):

Second, a weekend 10:00 p.m. edition of KALB's Newscentral 5 from May 7, 1995:

P.S.: I may have seen aspects of this when I traveled to Shreveport annually as a kid for medical treatments at the city's Shriners Hospital campus for my club foot, but even for the size of its market at the time, KTAL's news presentation seemed far below par. This is especially considering that KSLA and, particularly, KTBS (the latter of which was under locally based ownership as KTAL was at the time) had far better graphics packages in the late '90s. Clearly, WEHCO's sale of KTAL to Nexstar did them some good.

• Like 1

Two more from Jacky9br:

First, a 6:00 p.m. edition of KTAL's Newscenter 6 from May 19, 1997 (featuring the production music theme that still needs identifying for title and composer):

Second, a weekend 10:00 p.m. edition of KALB's Newscentral 5 from May 7, 1995:

P.S.: I may have seen aspects of this when I traveled to Shreveport annually as a kid for medical treatments at the city's Shriners Hospital campus for my club foot, but even for the size of its market at the time, KTAL's news presentation seemed far below par. This is especially considering that KSLA and, particularly, KTBS (the latter of which was under locally based ownership as KTAL was at the time) had far better graphics packages in the late '90s. Clearly, WEHCO's sale of KTAL to Nexstar did them some good.

And gave them a TVBD package that (in my opinion) still looks brilliant after 17+ years (1:20-2:36):

• Like 1

And gave them a TVBD package that (in my opinion) still looks brilliant after 17+ years (1:20-2:36):

KOKI's version of the TVbD package you mentioned has also stood the test of time, I might add. Same with WSBT's and with KARE's similar iteration by that same company.

• Like 3

Not a video - but classic TV news history talk - after reading the passing of Ed, did a little searching, and this came up.

Great long article about the competitive dynamics in Houston TV news in 1994. KHOU usurping KTRK, and the downbeat mood at KTRK dealing with it. Even a mention of changing the theme.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/changing-channels-6572785

• Like 2

Not a video - but classic TV news history talk - after reading the passing of Ed, did a little searching, and this came up.

Great long article about the competitive dynamics in Houston TV news in 1994. KHOU usurping KTRK, and the downbeat mood at KTRK dealing with it. Even a mention of changing the theme.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/changing-channels-6572785

This quote really hits the nail on the head:

[Marvin Zindler] says TV news is a "kindergarten game of show and tell. You show people and then you tell them what it is. Journalism does not show in the dictionary, I don't care what dictionary you have, as having anything to do with television or electronic media. I say it's show business and they all get mad."

• Like 7