Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Some WPXI clips from their “Newsmat” era:

The first clip shows Hank Baughman with Roxanne Stein before he was replaced with Mike Hambrick. From what I can gather, they must’ve debuted the “Newsmat” set in 1984 (maybe??).

• Like 4

Some WPXI clips from their “Newsmat” era:

The first clip shows Hank Baughman with Roxanne Stein before he was replaced with Mike Hambrick. From what I can gather, they must’ve debuted the “Newsmat” set in 1984 (maybe??).

Has to be 1984 or early-mid 1985, as after that Welch went to CapCities/ABC and WCCO was the final non-ABC station he serviced. (KMGH, then also a CBS affiliate, was also on his client list in '85.)

Meanwhile, the full 1992 Wisconsin Broadcasters' Association awards!

Highlights for TV include a snippet of WAOW with the Palmer package, WXOW in 1992 with Signature (a full two years ahead of NMSA), plus a little bit of footage of WITI's coverage of the Dahmer trial airing nonstop on WDJT.

Several other WBA awards presentations are on the channel.

• Like 2

Has to be 1984 or early-mid 1985, as after that Welch went to CapCities/ABC and WCCO was the final non-ABC station he serviced. (KMGH, then also a CBS affiliate, was also on his client list in '85.)

Meanwhile, the full 1992 Wisconsin Broadcasters' Association awards!

Highlights for TV include a snippet of WAOW with the Palmer package, WXOW in 1992 with Signature (a full two years ahead of NMSA), plus a little bit of footage of WITI's coverage of the Dahmer trial airing nonstop on WDJT.

Several other WBA awards presentations are on the channel.

And the rest (for WITI and WDJT who would later find themselves in the affiliation switch) is history.

KMGH, then also a CBS affiliate, was also on his client list in '85

Yes, it was 1985 when KMGH debuted Newsmat, I believe around June-July, as in May they still had the old set. Wish I could find that supposedly brief era somewhere...

Here’s some more Salt Lake City rarities!

• Like 5

Yes, it was 1985 when KMGH debuted Newsmat, I believe around June-July, as in May they still had the old set. Wish I could find that supposedly brief era somewhere...

Here’s some more Salt Lake City rarities!

Is that George's Dad Nick Clonney doing the news in SLC back in the early 90s? What? How long did that last? He was well known in Cincinnati & Los Angeles.

Is that George's Dad Nick Clonney doing the news in SLC back in the early 90s? What? How long did that last? He was well known in Cincinnati & Los Angeles.

He was there to upstart news at KSTU in 1992, and then left around 1994/95 to anchor briefly at WGRZ in Buffalo.

• Like 4

He was there to upstart news at KSTU in 1992, and then left around 1994/95 to anchor briefly at WGRZ in Buffalo.

And of course afterwards he was introducing the movies at the 'old' AMC (pre Mad Men and Walking Dead):

• Like 1

20 years ago today, the unthinkable happened in Mechanicville, NY when a tornado struck the area. Here is some WNYT footage.

*Should also be noted that this was one of Chris Jansing’s last newscasts before her move to NBC.

A montage of promos and IDs from Canal 13 in Buenos Aires that aired in July 1999.

[MEDIA=vimeo]273203902[/MEDIA]

PD: the David Copperfield promo contains a bit of "Escaped Felon" by Danny Pelfrey and Rick Rhodes, inspired by Gari's music.

• Like 4

Some more from the KTRK archives. This happened in Mont Belvieu, TX (where I am originally from) a year before I was born.

In fact, the intersection where Shara Fryer is on is Hwy 146 and Loop 207 (which is the old main loop of Mont Belvieu).

Just to give some history..Mont Belvieu sits on top of a massive oil salt dome (which is why its called Barbers Hill)..In 1972, the high school moved east to where FM 3180 (Eagle Drive) is now. What used to be there was just the Chambers county dump. The schools moved out east in the 80s as more and more explosions happened in Mont Belvieu and this explosion pretty much sponsored a mass industry buyout of all the land in and around Highway 146.

https://www.joc.com/petrochemical-industry-buys-out-texas-town_19871214.html

So, if you go over to Mont Belvieu, there is some stuff alongside Highway 146, but on 146, it stops right by an old apartment complex and strip mall and that goes all the way up to pretty much the current Cherry Hill Subdivision.

• Like 1