Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Dr. Martin Luther king assassination 50 years ago today.

Are those CBS and ABC clips the West Coast feeds of the evening news? The assassination of King occurred after the evening news would have concluded on the East Coast. Perhaps the Dan Rather clip was the SR for the East Coast stations.

• Like 3

[MEDIA=vimeo]52750093[/MEDIA]

Footage from KRIV's old studios and holy moly..I can definitely understand why they got their new diggs off of the Southwest Freeway.

Also, some interesting studio history there-- it appears they started with a copy of WTTG's set from the era (with the white panels above and the logo in the center that was changed to Fox logos), then had a bizarre mostly-chroma-key setup before getting a hand-me-down set from WNYW (that set dated to 1988-89 and was originally blue-toned with a duratran logo area above the center monitor, before it was redone in 1991-92 with the yellow lit paneling and the brass-y coloring).

[MEDIA=vimeo]52750093[/MEDIA]

Footage from KRIV's old studios and holy moly..I can definitely understand why they got their new diggs off of the Southwest Freeway.

I'd like to point out two things about KRIV FOX26 news sets. For one thing, that KRIV set looked similar to the news set used by sister station WNYW FOX5 New York. Secondly, I noticed FOX26 done its own version of the Newsmat set, the chroma-keyed green screen new set used by rival station KTRK ABC13 in the 1980s.

1714164280_ScreenShot2018-04-04at2_52_57PM.png.2f52bc547b7fe9b75f08cc6ff449accd.png

• Like 1

KSTP's Eyewitness News at 6:30 open at the end of a 6pm show from 1996:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=Lplxhy_lNxM;t=1755

(The graphics and color scheme make me think a bit of KCTV from this era)

Must’ve been from the same company. Similar graphics were also used at KTVX circa late 90s:

And I believe maybe KPHO’s “Fresh News” package:

If that’s the case for the latter, this company probably was a Meredith client, except I don’t think WNEM used similar graphics (they were instead using ones similar to KTUL and I believe they kept them until 1996):

• Like 1