Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

CBS Evening News with Dan Rather 1989 (Hurricane Hugo)

Dan Rather anchors CBS News coverage of Hurricane Hugo in the Caribbean in 1989. Recorded via TMC/Antenna Sicilia Italy re-broadcast.

I recorded this video from Malta at my grandparents' house - they received Sicilian TV channels over the air from 100km away, and TMC Monte Carlo/Antenna Sicilia aired the CBS newscast every morning! It was my first exposure to American TV news and, as a primary school kid (and especially in comparison to British TV of the time), I was in awe of the "big-budget", movie-style atmosphere of the newscast, centered around the anchor with his big name in the titles, and their epic news theme.

• Like 6

Excerpt of Telefe's opener of its revamped 7:00PM newscast from Monday, August 12, 2002.

On that day the channel introduced new graphics, new music (one of the most recognizable themes in Argentinian TV) and new main anchors: Rodolfo Barili and Cristina Pérez (they're still anchoring together 15 years later, with great success). They also were one of the youngest teams to ever front a newscast at the age of 29.

A news report from WEAR-TV from 1980, probably the first thing we've ever found from their days as "Eyewitness News":

Moving up north to Des Moines, it's 5tv's Iowa News Today from December 17, 1987, broadcasting live from the Southridge Mall:

• Like 2

A news report from WEAR-TV from 1980, probably the first thing we've ever found from their days as "Eyewitness News":

Moving up north to Des Moines, it's 5tv's Iowa News Today from December 17, 1987, broadcasting live from the Southridge Mall:

I've never seen that WOI gold logo before.

• Like 1

WDBO is a station we don't have a lot of footage from considering they were No. 1 in Orlando prior to WFTV's rise in the late 70's. The clips I've seen from WDBO have been kind of lackluster, including this one:

I’d be stunned if that wasn’t a Tuesday theme.

• Like 1

Might as well throw these Univision related video here.

A video talking about KTVW from 2004

KMEX morning news open used from 2001 to around 2004 or 2005

I'm not done yet!

KCEC Noticias Univision Colorado news open circa 2005

Ok, now I'm done.

Mid-90s KMSP is rare as heck!

More like any Chris-Craft station with news in general (excluding KMOL and KCOP.)

Meh... KMSP using Charlie Van Dyke sounds like a downgrade from his predecessor:

I hope that an open pops up soon... will need to give the Twin Cities a thrashing on the Wish List Thread, though the other white whale is any WTCN during their ownership transfer to Gannett in 1983.

• Like 2

Some from my channel (part of another birthday mega-upload batch); most of these coming from the local airing of Super Bowl XXVI

1992 CBS Evening News Promo (Beginning of the Mike Tyson rape trial)

1992 CBS This Morning promo

1992 CBS News promo (60 Minutes - with Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton being interviewed over the Gennifer Flowers scandal/48 Hours with Tom Vu)

February 1996 WAVY News 10 spot teasing a story on diamonds rings before Valentine's Day

1996 WAVY Kid Talk Intro (then hosted by Charles Pugh long before he fell into disgrace)