Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

KMTV promos for two very well-known station alumni.

Dick Fletcher was an idol of mine growing up. I recently learned that he earned his weather chops working alongside Charlie Umpenhour at KOA-TV (later of WTOL) in Denver. "Fletcher's Fearless Forecast" was the title of Fletch's weather segment at KOA.

KMTV had many great talents pass through in the late 70's: Mary Hart, Chuck Roberts, Dale Hansen, Dick Fletcher

EDIT: Sounds like another custom theme from Omaha!

• Like 4

The following 1983 WLS newscast is really interesting; it's from the On Your Side era and features extensive coverage of the mayoral election that took place the following day. And because it's an in-studio recording, it includes conversations during commercial breaks:

I've always liked the On Your Side era, but since it was short-lived and was followed by another anchor reshuffle, I presume WLS experienced declining ratings at the time. Does anyone know more about this time in the station's history? And the timing has always confused me -- the KABC-like set was introduced before Joe Ahern joined the station, right?

• Like 2

The following 1983 WLS newscast is really interesting; it's from the On Your Side era and features extensive coverage of the mayoral election that took place the following day. And because it's an in-studio recording, it includes conversations during commercial breaks:

I'll answer over here... https://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?threads/the-definitive-abc-7-thread.12805/page-119#post-203014

• Like 2

More KFOR from 1993...but still with the Gilmer custom theme:

Wow, Rob Hedrick is back!

Hopefully he has more to post - my white whales for OKC TV have been fulfilled, except for KWTV in the mid ‘90s, KOCO using its short-lived “5” logo circa ‘93, as well as KOCO from the early ‘80s.

Wow, Rob Hedrick is back!

Hopefully he has more to post - my white whales for OKC TV have been fulfilled, except for KWTV in the mid ‘90s, KOCO using its short-lived “5” logo circa ‘93, as well as KOCO from the early ‘80s.

The need for more News Team 4-era material (1990-early 92) is still palpable.

• Like 1

KSTP in 1987:

Clips from the opening of WCCO's communication center in 1983 and (first video) a historical special from then. "On the Move" was the theme — and likely the three-note signature to WCCO 1983:

Mark Curtis pre-KPNX...

Also the NMSA hasn’t identified Don Harrison as the VO on that KSTP open - this isn’t the first time this has happened.

Here’s a WOI update from after they became “News 5” and actually started to use more decent-looking graphics for the time frame...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nAIHdFLAII

Edit: That unknown WPXI-WILX-KCPQ voiceover guy returns in this quick CBS Evening News slide right before WCCO’s news...

• Like 1