Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

I bet most of you guys seen these videos before. For those new, these are the news opens KWEX used in the late 90s to early 2000s.

1999 (Not sure if they still use the former)

Here's a small little bonus: A brief history of KWEX during their special analog shutoff program in 2009 which contain some classic footage. The juiciest part is at 0:40, a news open of "Noticentro 41", most likely from around the late 1980s.

KMEX also did something similar too.

TCN9's partial newscast from Thursday, May 26, 2005, anchored by Mark Ferguson (now with Seven).

Includes a political report by Tim Lester (he's also with Seven now!). It looks that, when Nine's ratings plummeted, many of its newspeople emigrated to Seven.

• Like 1

A KSNW newsbreak from 1986 using possibly the potential Peters/Chip Davis package that the Hatch Family stations used in the mid-1980s - wouldn’t be too surprised if this package was also used by KUTV, or even if they were the commissioners (KUTV debuted the Welch graphics in ‘84, KSNW was using “All The News” and a cheap WFSB knockoff around that time):

• Like 2

A little WESH 2 History.

Those have been on YT for 7 years and we only just now notice them?

A news update from WOWK-TV in 1993: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=ZVaRUGYkxt8;m=10;s=25

Some clips of WRC-TV and WUSA newscasts, including opens, from June 19, 1986. The first open has one of Fox's Friends in it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vRm-5GLMLY

• Like 2

WDVM would change its calls a few weeks later to coincide with the Fourth of July. They changed their opens too in late ‘86 to that CGI flyover of Washington DC that lasted till late 1991/early 1992 when they moved to a new studio.

Wish we had WJLA from that era - that station is surprisingly lacking!

And here is WESH’s 1980 “tall tower” promo on the switch to their new transmitting tower, which was the top story on the 1980 newscast radioman1968 posted. Audio of the “TuesdayA” open can be heard too:

• Like 1

Probably my single favorite Canadian news theme...and I've never seen the original open with it!

By early '97, they'd tightened up the open. And get a load of the set!

I still like the 90s CityPulse themes better. That is one bright set. I like the superimposed map, that's a neat thing. And whose idea was it to call the news op "VRLand News"? That's just bizarre.

• Like 2

I still like the 90s CityPulse themes better. That is one bright set. I like the superimposed map, that's a neat thing. And whose idea was it to call the news op "VRLand News"? That's just bizarre.

The idea was obviously to give a regional touch to the news department on a station that seemed to otherwise be aiming much more for Toronto as time went on.

• Like 2

Interesting glimpse of the Tampa/St. Pete market after the "Big Switch" of Dec. '94. Mostly from WFLA but some WTVT clips at the end.

• WFLA attached the NBC peacock to their logo bug, but did not officially update their "NewsChannel 8" logo until fall '95. At this point, they were still using their 1993 'tabloid' era graphics and set, which would change (thankfully!).
  • WTVT showed almost no sign of being a Fox affiliate. Their bug had the '13' logo and 'WTVT' calls
  • WTSP (not in this video) debuted a new set in Sept. 1994 and a promo campaign, you can view on YT

• Like 2

While I posted CKVR's "VRLand News" the other day, I think it's worth putting into context how... out of character that look was for them! The 1990 open is new.

In the mid-80s, CKVR used this pulsating ditty that is a production track (it was at least used by the UK's Channel 4).

This is the new material - an open from 1990:

This theme, with one or two graphical variations, was used from 1991/92 through to the VRLand change:

• Like 1

While I posted CKVR's "VRLand News" the other day, I think it's worth putting into context how... out of character that look was for them! The 1990 open is new.

In the mid-80s, CKVR used this pulsating ditty that is a production track (it was at least used by the UK's Channel 4).

This is the new material - an open from 1990:

This theme, with one or two graphical variations, was used from 1991/92 through to the VRLand change:

Hey Raymie I’m starting to put the KTVX puzzle pieces together. If you listen closely during each of the news cut-ins in this 1994 commercial break it appears they were using Total News earlier than we thought (the drum solo in it seems to match up):

As a matter of fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they commissioned Total News and not WCBS.

I still need to fill in the hole from 1986 to 1994. If i can guess why they’re surprisingly lacking, it could be because they probably were the #3 station in Utah and not many people watched them, kinda like the lack of KYW footage in the early ‘80s (their worst era being #3).

That production track is called "Flash", by Keith Mansfield, and was used as the theme for the 1983 pilot of Press Your Luck (when the series landed, they replaced it with an original theme from Lee Ringuette that sounded vaguely similar):

• Like 1