Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Those WHBF opens were uploaded by Ken Gullette,

Charlie Van Dyke was phased out in mid-2007. The exact date for this would be September 6, 2006 judging by the top story being the "first day of school" (two days after Labor Day in New York). This would be the day after they expanded the 6:00 back to an hour in fact.

Image wise, the rough period of 1998-2008 were a great time for WRGB with four good theme/graphic combos going from InSink to the first version of Impact. That package getting destroyed by going HD hurt it a ton and the package that replaced it was so bad the Sinclair package was an improvement.

That was two days before I started kindergarten!!

Also those graphics were the second time CBS 6 snatched images from WBBM - the short-lived “News In Focus” Package was taken from their “Works For You” era, which itself was already gone by the time WRGB adopted it. The 2000 graphics used during the Enforcer days were also taken from WBBM’s sister station WBZ.

Albany TV seems to take graphics and imaging from larger-market stations (WTEN using the 1990 KCBS open and then using the WJBK/WMTW/WDRB open for 11 years, along with the aforementioned WRGB images) and WNYT using KMOV’s “Flying TV screens” Package as well as the “Squares” Package (which may have started at WDSU??)

• Like 2

Albany TV seems to take graphics and imaging from larger-market stations (WTEN using the 1990 KCBS open and then using the WJBK/WMTW/WDRB open for 11 years, along with the aforementioned WRGB images) and WNYT using KMOV’s “Flying TV screens” Package as well as the “Squares” Package (which may have started at WDSU??)

I know that "flying screens" package was also used at WMUR and WLWT, in addition to the two mention there. Anybody know who created those?

As for the "squares", are those the ones used by KTVI and KSTW at different points, or is that something else?

• Like 1

I know that "flying screens" package was also used at WMUR and WLWT, in addition to the two mention there. Anybody know who created those?

As for the "squares", are those the ones used by KTVI and KSTW at different points, or is that something else?

The squares, yes. Those two stations used them too.

As for the flying screens, I believe they were made by EGAD. WNYT debuted them in 1994 when they added a 5 pm newscast and they were the first graphics package with their current “News Channel 13” logo.

• Like 5

The squares, yes. Those two stations used them too.

As for the flying screens, I believe they were made by EGAD. WNYT debuted them in 1994 when they added a 5 pm newscast and they were the first graphics package with their current “News Channel 13” logo.

My guess is that KTVI might have originated the squares package.

• Like 2

Speaking of WNYT, here are some WTOG commercials taken from around the time that the station was in the process of being sold to Viacom, and Hubbard was acquiring WNYT and WHEC in return. All I can say is, Scott Chapin and PSA’s galore!

The commercial at 1:14 though... bahahaha

I guess if you're into brunettes, you're out of luck?

• Like 3

The image campaign: not new.

All the footage in this clip: stuff that wasn't in the other (longer version) we had.

On that note, is the long 2 Together promo still up anywhere? I saw it about a decade ago, but did it ever get reuploaded after it disappeared from YT?

I think I can hear the same 4-note motif that's in the KUTV 1981 package open, at the very end of this promo, seeming to provide still further evidence that said package was by Peters and tied into the image campaign. But I would certainly love to watch that longer promo again, to see if it has a more audible example of a "2 Together" musical logo.

• Like 1

[quote name='TServo2049']On that note, is the long 2 Together promo still up anywhere? I saw it about a decade ago, but did it ever get reuploaded after it disappeared from YT? I think I can hear the same 4-note motif that's in the KUTV 1981 package open, at the very end of this promo, seeming to provide still further evidence that said package was by Peters and tied into the image campaign. But I would certainly love to watch that longer promo again, to see if it has a more audible example of a "2 Together" musical logo.[/QUOTE] It's in the NewsActive 3 collection...which part, I couldn't say off hand. EDIT: @TServo2049 Found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=G9JZ1ozbivo;t=659
  • Like 2

Portions of KDKA-TV 2's Eyewitness News from March 2, 1996.

KDKA-TV 2 aircheck from 2/17/88 featuring promos for Pittsburgh2Day, Evening Magazine and two Newsbreaks with Patti Burns.

• Like 4

Keeping the KDKA theme going...here's a full KD&You promo from 1985

Looks like Arthur Greenwald was the creative services lead who can probably fill in some of the gaps about packages then - he probably commissioned it.

On his own YouTube (comments in the below video) he says he has some additional KDKA video he'll digitize at some point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=Cem3axUjAtI;list=UUtx-ZQ5lTazLSj3478FnVoQ

• Like 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N42qFhUlCZY

Has anyone ever found WNAC’s 1981 “News 7” open at the very end of this video? Now you have.

Lots of interesting things in that video.

• A promo for "Up to the Minute", but not the overnight show, but some sort of weekday thing. Any ideas as to what that was?
  • The quick Aquafresh commercial during the CBS Newsbreak has the announcer lady seen in early 80s ads for ShopRite (and she's still doing voiceovers to this day, though that speaks more to SR's outdated, stale advertising more than anything else)
  • It appears the layout of the newsroom and set was roughly the same as it looked a year later for NEWSEVEN
  • A young Charlie van Dyke on VO duties (possibly his only work in Boston?)

• Like 4

• A promo for "Up to the Minute", but not the overnight show, but some sort of weekday thing. Any ideas as to what that was?

''Up to the Minute,'' patterned after the Phil Donahue show, focused on a different issue each week and was aimed at a female audience. From the start, however, its hosts - Harry Reasoner, Morley Safer, Mike Wallace and Ed Bradley - were unable to devote substantial time to it, given the demands of their ''60 Minutes'' jobs.

The result, as many critics noted, was that they were forced to tape shows for which they clearly did not have sufficient time to prepare. Several complained privately about the added burden of doing the show. ''Up to the Minute'' is expected to continue until the end of the year, and no replacement has yet been chosen.

SOURCE AND FULL TEXT: http://www.nytimes.com/1981/11/25/arts/cbs-tv-cancels-up-to-the-minute.html

• Like 2