Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

I'm putting everything out there I can - as I said before - it does absolutely no one any good sitting in my basement!

Here's my last compilation post before Christmas - I'm on holiday for about a week, without access to my "stuff"... (I may be able to get 1 or 2 items uploaded before I leave, but no guarantees!)

California, May 1993 - about 24 different stations

[MEDIA=vimeo]247655678[/MEDIA]

Notes:

- The KCBS theme is one of my favorites, especially the long close.

- I'm not a fan of KNBC's "transitional" open they used for about a year.

- Sorry for the quality on KEYT - the feed in the hotel was horrible...

- I appreciate Jerry Dunphy's classic staccato "From the desert to the sea to all of Southern California, a good evening"

- Not that impressed with the stations in the central valley, save the solid look and feel of KFSN...

KTTV 10pm, KEYT 10pm (bad video), KCBS 11pm, KNBC 5:30am, KABC 6am, KTLA 7am, KNBC 5pm, KCBS 6pm (Long Close), KCAL 10pm, KNBC 4pm, KCOP 10pm, KCBS 11pm, KCBS 6am, KNBC 6pm, KCAL 8pm, KCAL 9pm, KTLA 10pm, KMEX 11pm, KGTV 12pm, KNSD 6pm, XEWT 6:30pm, KUSI 10pm, KFMB 12pm, KGTV 5pm, KFMB 6:30pm, KFSN 5pm, KJEO 6pm, KSEE 6pm, KSEE 5pm, KFTV 6pm, KMPH 10pm, KJEO 11pm, KGET 5pm, KFSN 11pm, KERO 11pm, KERO 12pm, KSBY 6pm, KCOY 6:30pm, KBAK 11pm

Jim

• Like 5

I'm putting everything out there I can - as I said before - it does absolutely no one any good sitting in my basement!

Here's my last compilation post before Christmas - I'm on holiday for about a week, without access to my "stuff"... (I may be able to get 1 or 2 items uploaded before I leave, but no guarantees!)

Notes:

- I appreciate Jerry Dunphy's classic staccato "From the desert to the sea to all of Southern California, a good evening"

- Not that impressed with the stations in the central valley, save the solid look and feel of KFSN...

KTTV 10pm, KEYT 10pm (bad video), KCBS 11pm, KNBC 5:30am, KABC 6am, KTLA 7am, KNBC 5pm, KCBS 6pm (Long Close), KCAL 10pm, KNBC 4pm, KCOP 10pm, KCBS 11pm, KCBS 6am, KNBC 6pm, KCAL 8pm, KCAL 9pm, KTLA 10pm, KMEX 11pm, KGTV 12pm, KNSD 6pm, XEWT 6:30pm, KUSI 10pm, KFMB 12pm, KGTV 5pm, KFMB 6:30pm, KFSN 5pm, KJEO 6pm, KSEE 6pm, KSEE 5pm, KFTV 6pm, KMPH 10pm, KJEO 11pm, KGET 5pm, KFSN 11pm, KERO 11pm, KERO 12pm, KSBY 6pm, KCOY 6:30pm, KBAK 11pm

Jim

Excuse the enthusiasm...

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Man this brings so many memories back of growing up in the 90's in SoCal.

• Like 3

Wow, it's like Christmas dinner tucking into all of this. KSEE's all over the place. I got a 6pm open for KNSD for...something. Also, wow, the KFTV and KERO opens are definitely new!

That music on the 6PM KNSD close... there's an amazing version that they would use on the 11pm close.. now if theres a long version of it..

• Like 1

Man! That KTTV open is CLASSIC! KTLA ruled 10pm at that point (still does to an extent), but I always tuned in for that open. Devine, Thompson and Garcia were magic together. They got even better when John Beard joined the team. I miss the old "FOX TELEVISION NEWS" newsroom studio. Their old building on Sunset Blvd was demolished many years ago (across the street from KTLA...5746 Sunset Blvd vs. 5800 Sunset Blvd), but so many memories there! It is now a high school.

$20 to anyone who can find me a clean open from the 1993 Good Day LA Susan Lichtman/Antonio Mora era.

• Like 3

Notes:

I dig KCBS theme especially the close. So catchy. KTLA 1990 theme not only represents such glory of an era, but hands down ranks up there as one of the greatest themes in the market of that era, if not of all time anywhere. I don't mind KNBC's opens at that time. Short but to the point, open itself is 'catchy' with cutaways + motions. KCOP's open was ahead of its time. It was like a tv show with cult following (think of a cooler 'broadcast news' or 'network' perhaps, lack of better examples, sorry) Man if there was any other place to be born other than NYC (and i wouldn't trade that for anywhere else) it would be LA. Life there at that time (or any time) must've been fun.

• Like 5

Time for some Colorado/Great Plains from 1993:

[MEDIA=vimeo]247653555[/MEDIA]

KRDO 10pm, KOAT 5:30pm, KOAA 10pm, KCNC 5pm, KMGH 10pm, KCNC Close (x2), KKTV 12pm, KRDO 5:30pm, KMGH 5pm, KUSA 10pm, KWGN 9pm, KMGH 10pm, KUSA Close, KMGH AM Close, KMGH 6am, KMGH 12pm, KGWN 12pm, KUSA 10pm, KNOP 6pm, KHGI/NTV 10pm, KWCH 12pm, KOLN/KGIN 10pm, KFOR 4:30pm, KWTV 5pm, KFOR 5pm, KETA/OETA 6:30pm, KOCO 6pm

J

About the KFOR open, I think it originally featured the custom 1990 theme when it was implemented. I have a tape that features a partial 24-hour news update from c. 1992/early '93 that included a slightly updated version of the original 1990 theme being used with that same graphics package; presumably, the Newsmusic Central theme didn't get introduced until sometime between May sweeps and September.

• Like 5

About the KFOR open, I think it originally featured the custom 1990 theme when it was implemented. I have a tape that features a partial 24-hour news update from c. 1992/early '93 that included a slightly updated version of the original 1990 theme being used with that same graphics package; presumably, the Newsmusic Central theme didn't get introduced until sometime between May sweeps and September.

Can you upload that tape to YouTube?

• Like 5

That looks about right. There was an update to the 1990 package in 1992 when "News Team 4" became "News Channel 4".

• Like 1

Notes:

Jim

Man, it seemed like for 1993, everybody except KABC and KCAL were trying unconventional news intros. I love those KCBS opens-- the hyped up music and the ALL of Southern California mantra really works, but they ditched those intros disappointingly fast.

As for KCOP, Real News was kickass, the closest to a direct American copy of Toronto's CityPulse, but thanks to nobody knowing it existed, it got neutered by May of 94. 13 really should've marketed it better, maybe done 24-Hour News Source style updates like CityPulse had (where they'd show the busy newsroom and you could hear the police scanner). And that's the clearest intro for that look yet-- I've been wondering who composed the theme for Real News, it's so badass and I'd love to have clean cuts.

• Like 4

I love those KCBS opens-- the hyped up music and the ALL of Southern California mantra really works, but they ditched those intros disappointingly fast.

I'd argue what made those opens work was the voice of Chuck Riley. That guy could sell anything with his pipes. The Nick Michaels re-recordings are just...flat.

• Like 4

Notes:

Jim

Cool to see a HQ video of the 1993 KMEX news open. The KFTV one came out of nowhere.

• Like 1

Finishing up my Southwest Trip from May 1994:

Las Vegas: KVBC, KVVU, KLAS & KTNV

[MEDIA=vimeo]247064360[/MEDIA]

Los Angeles: KCBS, KNBC, KTLA, KABC, KCAL, KCOP, KCET & KVEA

[MEDIA=vimeo]247064579[/MEDIA]

Arizona & Utah: KUTV, KVOA, KSL, KGUN, KPNX, and the infamous KKTM! (also KUSK's Northern Arizona Scene open...)

(you can ignore the partial KCBS open - I don't want to reupload an edited version...)

[MEDIA=vimeo]247065654[/MEDIA]

"El Voz De Telemundo" doing the 1990s KVEA news open is interesting.

The only other Spanish affiliate I know that used a main network announcer was WGBO in their first year. Too bad we only have the audio from SouthernMedia and no video of it. If anyone has the 1995 WGBO news open, please let us know.

65 years ago today, a Station on channel 43 in York, PA signed on the air, giving the Susquehanna Valley another choice for television other than WGAL. That is WPMT (signed on as CBS affiliate WSBA-TV, a TV sister to WSBA 910 AM at the time), which is the oldest UHF Television Station that continues to operate today that never changed it channel since sign-on (The first continuously operating UHF station ever belonged to KPTV in Portland, OR, now on channel 12). Here are some promos from WPMT in 1990.

• Like 5