Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

(Since we're going international!)

O Canada! Enjoy the 90s Canadian goodness on this Remembrance Day.

CIHF/MITV (Halifax) September 28, 1996 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]241360455[/MEDIA]

CFQC (Saskatoon) April 26, 1995 11:30pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]241360257[/MEDIA]

CBXT (Edmonton)/CBRT (Calgary) April 27, 1995 6:00pm

I love this theme - it's been used around Canada by CBC stations, including (at least) in British Columbia, Ottawa, and Montreal

[MEDIA=vimeo]241359891[/MEDIA]

CBLT (Toronto) October 20, 1994 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]241274473[/MEDIA]

• Like 2

And 3 from Montreal!

CBMT (Montreal) October 5, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]241359637[/MEDIA]

CBMT (Montreal) October 14, 1994 11:00pm (and 6pm Open/Close at the start)

IMHO, CBC knocked it out of the ballpark with this set and theme!

[MEDIA=vimeo]241359437[/MEDIA]

CBMT (Montreal) April 20, 1991 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]241359366[/MEDIA]

• Like 2

Interesting to compare the CFQC version to the earlier version of that open, without BBS branding, which also was used by CKCK:

(I love this theme BTW)

The look after can only be described as unimaginative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=v_MT2eRRztk;t=41

What Baton was doing in London was much better:

• Like 1

I found another big one! An 11pm newscast from the then-new WSYX from November 12, 1987 (less than 2 months after the call letter change)

[MEDIA=dailymotion]x4pnbyx[/MEDIA]

Plus a bonus, the behind the scenes doings of a 6pm newscast from June 1988:

• Like 2

One thing I failed to mention about the mid-late 90s Baton Saskatchewan theme is that it outlasted BBS by quite a bit.

The signoff created for these stations when Baton essentially became CTV was still in use in 2006, years after the news theme (which is its background music) was discontinued and even the voiceover had left:

Prior to Baton, the stations additionally produced one common provincial newscast, originally known as Saskatchewan Television News and later as The Provincial. This was aired on the final edition of the program in 1995 — note the open snippet from 1987:

• Like 2

ANOTHER undiscovered era of KMGH?!

I think it’s worth knowing how much rare KMGH we’ve found this year. We went from there being very little from this Station to a ton more good stuff. Here’s what I call a KMGH timeline from the 80s:

• 1980?-1982 - This era was found in a KMGH blooper reel and a VHSgoodiesWA video of a news close. They used an unnamed theme and a “7” that looks like it’s 3D. Logopedia for some reason says this logo was used in 1972-1974. They also debuted Roger Thompson in what is possibly his first VO work.
  • 1982-1983 - That very circle 7 we just saw in the video I posted, around the same time they began using “And You” and “Signature News”. This couldn’t have been long as by April 1983 they debuted the next logo.
  • 1983-1984 - This was when they debuted the half-circle 7 and kept it for 9 years.
  • 1984-1985/86 - “And You” is dropped in favor of “Turn To News”, but we still have “News 7” as the branding. This must’ve debuted when Jim Redmond became anchor.
  • 1985/86-1987 - This is the era of the Newsmat set and graphics, and name change to “KMGH 7 News”. Charlie Van Dyke becomes voiceover.
  • 1987-Early 1989 - The “Great News” era, same set and branding.
  • 1989-1990 - “Great News” is replaced with the 1989 Theme music, around the time Ernie Bjorkman replaced Redmond.

• Like 1

And 3 from Montreal!

CBMT (Montreal) October 5, 1998 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]241359637[/MEDIA]

CBMT (Montreal) October 14, 1994 11:00pm (and 6pm Open/Close at the start)

IMHO, CBC knocked it out of the ballpark with this set and theme!

[MEDIA=vimeo]241359437[/MEDIA]

CBMT (Montreal) April 20, 1991 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]241359366[/MEDIA]

Hi. I was listening to the WSB 1991 theme on the NMSA and I thought you could have something from that period. As I said before, everything you post here is great!

Before calling it a weekend... Philly (just found this today).

WPHL (Philadelphia) April 24, 1997 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]242452301[/MEDIA]

Later this week (and in December), I'll have some "20 Years ago today" newscasts.

I have lots of opens from the late 80s and early 90s, but not as many full newscasts, as I had to cart a VHS machine when I traveled, and that usually meant traveling by car... (though the stuff from Thanksgiving 1992 came from checking my S-VHS machine in my suitcase...) ~93/94 I picked up an 8mm recorder, and that's when I started getting more full newscasts. As for right now, I'm getting things off of DVD - once that's done, I'll start attacking tapes.

Jim

• Like 2

This WGN EBS test quite clearly comes from the same vintage as the EAN tape uploaded to YT fairly recently...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS7d3vntkU4

WOI material from 1990, when the station used News Leader from VTS:

And speaking of warnings, here's one from WOI's weather department. Useful county graphics accompany the radar:

• Like 2