Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Happy Thursday Night - 2 from Albany and another KPRC!

WTEN (Albany) February 8, 1997 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]239357422[/MEDIA]

WXXA (Albany) February 8, 1997 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]239750743[/MEDIA]

KPRC (Houston) December 3, 1997 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]239750197[/MEDIA]

Also, I'm testing some 30fps vs. 60fps content from SD:

http://mezzogreen.com/kprc3060

[url=http://mezzogreen.com/kprc3060][/url]

Thoughts/Comments? (Vimeo seems to be giving me fits with the 60fps video...)

Can you upload any WNYT if you have any?

• Like 1

Whoa, it's some KTSP from November 1, 1982!

No open, but it shows the existing KOOL News set with the KTSP sunset 10 logo on monitors and a story with a "TV10 News" end tag.

I've asked if he has any more KTSP of this era — this is one of the next big question marks in Phoenix TV.

Roger Downey has this KPHO news update from 1985:

WBZ Eyewitness News from 1991:

———

As to the KTSP material, it comes from a period of turmoil that is not well documented in existing video. In late 1982, KOOL-TV was sold and became KTSP. It also went through several changes in branding as the new owners, Gulf, sought to overhaul the station's presentation.

My old TV Guides give us some idea of the call-letter and logo switch from KOOL to KTSP.

This 1981 ad features the long-running KOOL News logo:

c10-1a_zpseb404e1b.png

KOOL announced the callsign switch to KTSP with this ad that ran next to the listings for October 2, 1982:

c10-2a_zpsa3c9e197.png

But for some weeks afterward, news ads still featured a modified version of the old logo (minus, of course, the "KOOL News" branding):

c10-3a_zpsa038be1b.png

By late November 1982, the new logo makes an apperance, but the station's news operation is branded "TV10 News" (and Mary Jo West is apparently gone from the station, since neither the ads for the 6 nor the 10 P.M. news mention her):

c10-4a_zps72020693.png

Finally, by January 1983, the "NewsCenter 10" branding, which would survive for the rest of the decade, is in place:

c10-5a_zps2958a221.png

Ultimately, it was not until January 3, 1983 that NewsCenter 10 was adopted.

"However, on Monday, KTSP-TV will unveil a new news set as well as a new name for its news programs Newscenter 10. The station has been utilizing the name TV 10 News, a stopgap title forced by the dropping of the KOOL News 10 designation when the KOOL-TV call letters fell by the wayside. The Newscenter name is one of a handful, along with Action News and Eyewitness News, that are commonly used by stations around the nation. [bill] Miller said it was chosen because it contained elements of the long-used KOOL News 10 name, "news" and "10." The new set, tan and brown with two pop-up monitors, was designed by a company in San Diego and replaces the two separate sets (newsroom and studio) that the station has used. This set adjoins the newsroom. A consultant from Los Angeles helped in lighting. Total cost of the project is $50,000-plus, a pittance compared to the $1 million the station has spent so far in technical improvements." (AZ Republic 12/31/82)

• Like 4

Whoa, it's some KTSP from November 1, 1982!

No open, but it shows the existing KOOL News set with the KTSP sunset 10 logo on monitors and a story with a "TV10 News" end tag.

I've asked if he has any more KTSP of this era — this is one of the next big question marks in Phoenix TV.

I don’t think we have any opens from the first wave of their “NewsCenter” era, either. That was when Bill Close was still anchoring and before Dave Patterson came in from KYW.

• Like 1

February 17th, 1983: The first 35+ minutes of WYCC Chicago's existence. Owned and launched by the City Colleges of Chicago, the public station spent most of its history as a home education outlet. Now, it is the market's secondary PBS station. Its future is unknown, however, after the FCC auction.

• Like 1

Here is a WWMT "Hello" promo recorded sometime in the 1990s. The promo features Florence Warner as she sings an updated version of "Hello West Michigan". You may remember her doing a promo from WEWS as she was seen on-camera doing a 30-second version of "Catch 5" in a promo. Hope you enjoy.

What about a choir version of WWMT's "Hello West Michigan"? We have that.

• Like 2

Orlando from 20 years ago! WCPX prior to call sign change and a fairly rare newscast on WRBW (from WFTV)...

WRBW (Orlando) May 12, 1997 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]240312612[/MEDIA]

WFTV (Orlando) May 12, 1997 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]240312255[/MEDIA]

WCPX (Orlando) May 15, 1997 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]240311939[/MEDIA]

Again folks, as I find stuff, I post it. Right now, I'm focusing on getting the 20+ year old newscasts. Once I get to the 2000s, I've got tons, and it will take some time just in uploading stuff (just the real time converting and uploading the files takes a while - and I have a full-time+ job and am taking a class in the evenings).

I'm going to start linking everything off of a web-site - which will probably become my "Classic Newscast Museum". Once I get stuff posted (and a standard page format developed), I'll let everyone know...

Jim

• Like 8

Orlando in the 90s could have been called Vance-lando — both WFTV and WCPX were using E.Q. Vance packages.

Speaking of which, a very eagle-eyed viewer of the 11pm video might have caught this...

8R9wIP2.png

We're Going Where You're Going — a variant of this image campaign I have never seen!

• Like 3

The first 8 minutes or so of WXII's news from September 29, 1985 with an unknown theme, could it be related to their "Count On Us" image campaign from back then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=1blakjbyos0;m=27;s=8

There's also an update in the video with the same theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=1blakjbyos0;m=18;s=41

• Like 1

Orlando from 20 years ago! WCPX prior to call sign change and a fairly rare newscast on WRBW (from WFTV)...

WRBW (Orlando) May 12, 1997 10:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]240312612[/MEDIA]

WFTV (Orlando) May 12, 1997 11:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]240312255[/MEDIA]

WCPX (Orlando) May 15, 1997 6:00pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]240311939[/MEDIA]

Again folks, as I find stuff, I post it. Right now, I'm focusing on getting the 20+ year old newscasts. Once I get to the 2000s, I've got tons, and it will take some time just in uploading stuff (just the real time converting and uploading the files takes a while - and I have a full-time+ job and am taking a class in the evenings).

I'm going to start linking everything off of a web-site - which will probably become my "Classic Newscast Museum". Once I get stuff posted (and a standard page format developed), I'll let everyone know...

Jim

David Wittman went to Cleveland after 9 1/2 years at WCPX/WKMG

I don’t think we have any opens from the first wave of their “NewsCenter” era, either. That was when Bill Close was still anchoring and before Dave Patterson came in from KYW.

Bill Close was still still anchoring the 6 p.m. news during the second (third?) wave of the NewsCenter 10 era -- at least he was in early 1988:

February 17th, 1983: The first 35+ minutes of WYCC Chicago's existence. Owned and launched by the City Colleges of Chicago, the public station spent most of its history as a home education outlet. Now, it is the market's secondary PBS station. Its future is unknown, however, after the FCC auction.

Actually as of this past week... WYCC no longer airs PBS. WYIN is the market's secondary now.

• Like 1

Bill Close was still still anchoring the 6 p.m. news during the second (third?) wave of the NewsCenter 10 era -- at least he was in early 1988:

Close left the 10pm (his own decision) in 1984 and retired from the 6pm on August 26, 1988, doing primarily the noon show until his full retirement on December 22, 1989.

Fun fact: Close actually approached KTVK looking for a job in 1982. They rejected his offer!

• Like 2

NewsActive3 just uploaded some classic, classic Roger Grimsby/Bill Beutel stuff from 1978. Earliest full newscast I've seen with both of them. As with all classic WABC stuff... PUMP IT INTO MY VEIIIIINS.

EDIT: Oh, man, it begins with a Milt Lewis report! It just can't get any better than that!

• Like 2

Fun fact: Close actually approached KTVK looking for a job in 1982. They rejected his offer!

Interesting! KTVK did hire his erstwhile co-anchor, Mary Jo West, a short time later (1983?). I believe she stayed with the station until the beginning of the NewsChannel 3 era (1986).

Interesting! KTVK did hire his erstwhile co-anchor, Mary Jo West, a short time later (1983?). I believe she stayed with the station until the beginning of the NewsChannel 3 era (1986).

1983 does seem to be when she jumped.

On the topic of Duluth... All We Are, We Are For You!

• Like 2

Orlando in the 90s could have been called Vance-lando — both WFTV and WCPX were using E.Q. Vance packages.

I clicked on the link to the E.Q. site and for some reason the Broadcast Package Samples and Animation Demo and they didn’t show up.

Also they said their first client was WFAA - was this a one-off package or are they talking about this?