Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

A KCBS Action News tease from 1993!

Also, KAET stuff so rare I've never seen it:

And more KNXV from 1997 (That Investigators logo is STILL in use):

And I believe this is one of the last commercials ever run by Valley National Bank, so I'm posting it:

Wow, Yuma!

The theme used by KSWT (at 0:14) was previously used by KTVH:

There's a very brief clip of the open confirming that was the theme:

What's absolutely bizarre is that Ashley Webster went from KTVH to KSWT — both stations using the same news theme! (Yes, that Ashley Webster now on FBN!)

Well, that's a nice collection — even has the very rare first iteration of TVbD opens and some stuff I've never seen.

You want old? Here's old: a KSEL (now KAMC, Lubbock) promotional film from 1969! The station had been on air a year at this point.

And even older? KDUB (now KLBK) news and other material from the 50s and 60s!

Too old? Let's stay in Texas for this cool behind-the-scenes look at a KDBC newscast from 1992...with a news music surprise!

• Like 1

Here is rare WTEN news footage focusing on a snowstorm that hit the area in 1987. News open is seen at 0:17 into the video with ID at the beginning.

I knew that WTEN's Open would resemble WPRI somehow -- typical Knight Ridder at the time (WTKR and KTVY had similar, short opens as well).

Now if we could only find some more WNYT, that would make my day.

So pleased to see a full newscast from WTSP's 1992-94 era, a real enigma. I really liked that set, which was way more attractive than the one they debuted when they made the switch to CBS. The red/white/blue graphics were also better coordinated than what they used the rest of the decade. They also appear to have used three voiceover artists: Ed O'Brien (6 months!), Jeff Lawrence, and Brian James came in about late '93/early '94.

It seems like the goal was a 'feel good' newscast. Very consultant driven.

• Like 2

As I'm going through stuff on discs and looking for newscasts I know I have (somewhere on tape...), I wish I could go back in time to my early newscast recording self and give myself a few pieces of advice:

1) ,Record the entire newscast - I spent too much time recording the open and close, ignoring the middle...

2) Label the Video Tape right after it's recorded - with details - not just "Detroit" or "Programs"...

3) Put the full date and time and the station on the tape...

4) Keep detailed records in a simple spreadsheet (and occasionally print it out)...

I have details in a database that I can no longer open - and can no longer find... Since the last thing printed was in 2006, no telling which computer it was on... (and I no longer have said computer...).

Anyway, more stuff coming with the new week...

Jim

• Like 6

Here's the rest of what I have from my trip to the San Francisco Bay Area from July 1992: 3 Newscasts plus a compilation of the remaining "bits".

KNTV (San Jose/San Francisco, CA) July 16, 1992 11:00pm

I love this theme - very creative use of the song...

[MEDIA=vimeo]236325296[/MEDIA]

KTVU (Oakland/San Francisco, CA) July 16, 1992 10:00pm

The opening graphics were way ahead of their time...

[MEDIA=vimeo]236325735[/MEDIA]

KRON (San Francisco, CA) July 16, 1992 11:00pm

The 10pm News (late night repeat) during the "Early Prime" experiment.

[MEDIA=vimeo]236326291[/MEDIA]

Remainder Compilation - July 1992

Pardon the video from KSBW - the source video is crappy, but the music comes through and you can see enough to get an idea. Also, catch KICU as its own, separate from KTVU...

[MEDIA=vimeo]236329772[/MEDIA]

• Like 5