Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Going back on KSDK using Hearst-inspired graphics, I wonder if you can actually find demo reels from that company during the 1990s. They are my second favorite design company, the first being Tvbd/JC Burns.

Also, a KPHO Brief from 1994, during their "Fresh News" era. If you look in the description, you'll see ewjxn's working on uploading the first five minutes of this newscast tomorrow, meaning another rare Phoenix gem will be uploaded!

• Like 3

Also, a KPHO Brief from 1994, during their "Fresh News" era. If you look in the description, you'll see ewjxn's working on uploading the first five minutes of this newscast tomorrow, meaning another rare Phoenix gem will be uploaded!

Not just the first five minutes -- that was the length of the entire newscast at the time. Because four other stations were already airing news at 10 p.m., KPHO had decided to counterprogram in that timeslot instead of going head-to-head with full-length newscasts on KTVK, KSAZ, KPNX, and KNXV. Therefore, for its first few years as a CBS affiliate, the station aired a five-minute newscast at 10 p.m. and followed it with syndicated episodes of Seinfeld.

• Like 8

Not just the first five minutes -- that was the length of the entire newscast at the time. Because four other stations were already airing news at 10 p.m., KPHO had decided to counterprogram in that timeslot instead of going head-to-head with full-length newscasts on KTVK, KSAZ, KPNX, and KNXV. Therefore, for its first few years as a CBS affiliate, the station aired a five-minute newscast at 10 p.m. and followed it with syndicated episodes of Seinfeld.

It was a combination of suddenly having to expand (they literally said of a full 10pm, which would have featured the 9pm duo of Karen Carns and Fred Powers, “We’re not staffed to do it” — though GM Pat North promised "We will do it as soon as we possibly can, probably midseason") and then finding that their stopgap late news was a ratings contender. It wasn't until the 1998 "CBS 5" relaunch that they had a full-length 10pm.

That theme sounds like Kalehoff.

I am anxiously awaiting seeing this — it's one of the last big gaps we now have for KPHO!

• Like 3

Now for 2 Springfields, D/FW Network Affiliation Switch, and another from, to quote Wikipedia, the market that has "no basis in television reality": Lincoln, Hastings, Grand Island, Kearney, NE.

WGGB (Springfield, MA) April 30, 1993 11pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]235239991[/MEDIA]

KYTV (Springfield, MO) July 29, 1994 10pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]235239535[/MEDIA]

KTVT (Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX) July 1, 1995 8pm - Special early edition of "The Nine O'Clock News" due to baseball... IIRC, during the game, KTVT switched logos on the graphics and the announcers switched shirts with the new logo when it was official - 10pm?

[MEDIA=vimeo]235239225[/MEDIA]

KDFW (Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX) July 1, 1995 10pm - New Graphics and theme with the switch to Fox. KDFI simulcast the 9pm news until the fall, when they aired new syndicated programming.

[MEDIA=vimeo]235238038[/MEDIA]

KHAS (Lincoln/Hastings/Grand Island/Kearney, NE) April 27, 1993 10pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]235238463[/MEDIA]

Enjoy! More to come this week, including stuff from my 1991 trips to and from Michigan.

Jim

• Like 7

KTVT (Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX) July 1, 1995 8pm - Special early edition of "The Nine O'Clock News" due to baseball... IIRC, during the game, KTVT switched logos on the graphics and the announcers switched shirts with the new logo when it was official - 10pm?

Lars Clutterham's "EarWitness News" must be one of the most underrated themes ever; I just love its dramatic, almost cinematic orchestration. I assume this was its last-ever use?

• Like 2

KDFW (Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX) July 1, 1995 10pm - New Graphics and theme with the switch to Fox. KDFI simulcast the 9pm news until the fall, when they aired new syndicated programming.

[MEDIA=vimeo]235238038[/MEDIA]

Enjoy! More to come this week, including stuff from my 1991 trips to and from Michigan.

Jim

Jim, as a native Dallasonian and native North Texan... I take my hat off to you. Salute!

Lars Clutterham's "EarWitness News" must be one of the most underrated themes ever; I just love its dramatic, almost cinematic orchestration. I assume this was its last-ever use?

I was a bit sad with audio at the end - I was expecting a full long close, and someone cut out the theme, leaving the SoT remnants.

I really enjoy then themes that are clearly developed with a full orchestration. KTVT has had 2 good ones (in my mind): EarWitness News and their custom "The Eye of Texas".

• Like 1

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for... the Arizona 5-minute News!!

Ah, I see they aired MASH rather than Seinfeld in the early days 10 p.m. combo.

The theme heard in that open, listed as "Unknown" on NMSA, was also used by POP TV in Slovenia in the mid-1990s (and was once included in a Gari music sampler):

• Like 5

There's a lot to process here...

-Note the lingering Fresh News graphics (weather and sports) mixed with CBS News L3s. I wonder if Fresh News was used on the other newscasts, almost all of which KPHO had to add upon affiliation. (Prior to the switch it had only 90 minutes of news a day, an hour-long 9pm and its 11:30)

-That is a zippy and serviceable newscast. It's actually enjoyable. No wonder it stuck around.

-That KFOR sample is mighty interesting. You can clearly hear the liner for the matching image campaign in that signature: "We are the strength of Oklahoma...4 Strong!"

I am uploading something here that I believe is part of this theme (and sending it to the NMSA after 2 years). It is the audio of a 30-second sports promo that KFOR put up when Bob Barry, Jr. was killed in 2015. It has the same signature at the end. It must be from 1990 or 1991 when KFOR was still branding as News Team 4.

Why is that important? 'Cuz KFOR changed out the Team for Channel in 1992. Listen to these promos, too!

Seeing that also led to finding this KTEN item on the channel:

-That KFOR sample is mighty interesting. You can clearly hear the liner for the matching image campaign in that signature: "We are the strength of Oklahoma...4 Strong!"

I am uploading something here that I believe is part of this theme (and sending it to the NMSA after 2 years). It is the audio of a 30-second sports promo that KFOR put up when Bob Barry, Jr. was killed in 2015. It has the same signature at the end. It must be from 1990 or 1991 when KFOR was still branding as News Team 4.

Why is that important? 'Cuz KFOR changed out the Team for Channel in 1992. Listen to these promos, too!

The theme is pretty terrible, but I want to see more of those awesome graphics. So much early '90s yellow-and-purple goodness.

I can't believe that actually made it to air...guess they didn't have time to fix the lights and do another take?

The guy who uploaded it worked there at the time. He probably kept that take for kicks, or for a gag reel. I think he added the ID at the end since he's got a couple other WNCT vids on his channel with the same.

• Like 2