Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

A KSDK promo from October 1996 with a graphics package I haven't seen, just try and guess what it's inspired by! :rolleyes:

That Package must've been used for promos only, because they held on to the 1993 opens until late 1997.

Anyway, here's some Connecticut News from 1996 - earliest I've seen 'TNH with First News

• Like 1

Little Rock, Lubbock and the other station from Grand Junction in 1995...

KARK (Little Rock, AR) August 15, 1992 6pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]234255423[/MEDIA]

KATV (Little Rock, AR) August 15, 1992 10pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]234255875[/MEDIA]

KTHV (Little Rock, AR) August 15, 1992 10pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]234257909[/MEDIA]

KLBK (Lubbock, TX) October 1, 1994 10pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]234598621[/MEDIA]

KJCT (Grand Junction, CO), March 25, 1995 6pm

[MEDIA=vimeo]234598256[/MEDIA]

Jim

• Like 2

A KSDK promo from October 1996 with a graphics package I haven't seen, just try and guess what it's inspired by! :rolleyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=tCai5tOsOuI;m=4;s=39

That would have been early enough where I wonder if One80 (who designed the original Hearst GFX) was willing to customize and syndicate it out to other non-competing stations before Hearst started mass-producing it for their stations. Certainly it was way more difficult to rip off entire looks like that in the mid 90s than it is today.

• Like 2

Ouch, that KJCT open is just...yuck. Fonts, colors, the whole mess.

I mean, it's not bad from a technical standpoint - the animations are okay, the shadowing is decent, and the "news source" photo wrapping around the 8 is actually pretty clever and well-executed. But from a raw design standpoint, it reminds me of my own work from years ago - and not in a good way.

So...yeah, ouch for sure.

• Like 1

Presented for your amusement, a commentary from Bozo T. Clown, WGN News...

[MEDIA=vimeo]103377794[/MEDIA]

I'm thinking that this occurred around the time that WMAQ's Ron Magers and Carol Marin were having issues with their station adding their version of a clown, Jerry Springer as an ordinary potat...er commentator.

• Like 3

I mean, it's not bad from a technical standpoint - the animations are okay, the shadowing is decent, and the "news source" photo wrapping around the 8 is actually pretty clever and well-executed. But from a raw design standpoint, it reminds me of my own work from years ago - and not in a good way.

So...yeah, ouch for sure.

Well I thought it was pretty well done for such a small market.

Now here's WPTZ in 1997 with Signature:

I'm thinking that this occurred around the time that WMAQ's Ron Magers and Carol Marin were having issues with their station adding their version of a clown, Jerry Springer as an ordinary potat...er commentator.

A timely video, considering that with recent acquisitions WGN will begin to have clown commentaries in earnest. Insert Boris Epshteyn reference here.

• Like 1

A timely video, considering that with recent acquisitions WGN will begin to have clown commentaries in earnest. Insert Boris Epshteyn reference here.

Dammit, I'm jealous I didn't make that joke when posting the video. I bow to you.

• Like 2

This is actually a condensed WSFA Ten O'Clock Report from 1985.

And a full KOCO show from the same year:

There's also this *third* KSAZ post-CBS promo matching the other two we'd already had:

The KPHO materials, BTW, back up the 1981-86 assertion I outlined earlier. That theme/graphics package was new in '81.

And a full KOCO show from the same year

Wow, KOCO went through a lot of open changes through the mid 1980s - 3 months prior they were still using the old Gannett graphics and had a slightly different set, which dated back to 1980. Then a year later, KOCO had a talent bump included in its open, and after that, ditched "Hello News" in favor of "Power News".

Also that's Bob Vernon doing the VO. Interestingly enough, he used to work at former station sister WLKY.

Roger Thompson is the voice of this KNXV station ID:

Don't know what's better here...Thompson on the KNXV ID, or Ernie Anderson voicing the TNG promo (for an episode I've seen, no less - avid Trekkie here). Pretty cool stuff coming out of the woodwork lately...

• Like 4