Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Univision 41's own Merijoel Duran has a slew of clips of WXTV from the late 90s to today, mostly from their morning newscast. Here's a small sample:

Somewhere between late 1998 to early 1999 (Just a guess)

Clip from 1999

A clip on the day after 9/11

Another weather segment from 2001

One more, from 2008.

Now for some bonus clips of her working at WNJU as a weather lady:

One from around 1993 or 1994

...and one from 1996

• Like 2

Never thought that KPNX Open resembled WCCO's... I even wonder if Wow & Flutter were the composers for that 1992 Theme...

Now I just want to see an open from their "Real News" era (1989-90). From what I've seen, I think it would look VERY similar to what sister station WXIA's open looked like (which actually debuted in 1986).

Three news stories from the same night: September 22, 1996, when ASU upset Nebraska en route to the Rose Bowl. All show some interesting graphics:

Note that Geoff Morrell is wearing a polo with a new KSAZ logo. We're just weeks away from the Fox 10 relaunch...

And we also got 7 minutes of Jude La Cava's sports show from that night, too. Note the transitional "Fox 10" logo...

And a little chunk of KPHO too...

• Like 4

^^^^

Those were recorded just a few weeks before KTVK lost its ABC affiliation. At the time, Good Morning America and, I believe, World News Tonight had already migrated to KNXV, but prime time ABC programming was still on KTVK. (The channel had even filed an unsuccessful complaint with the FCC to prevent ABC from switching to KNXV.)

^^^^

Those were recorded just a few weeks before KTVK lost its ABC affiliation. At the time, Good Morning America and, I believe, World News Tonight had already migrated to KNXV, but prime time ABC programming was still on KTVK. (The channel had even filed an unsuccessful complaint with the FCC to prevent ABC from switching to KNXV.)

The FCC complaint didn't work for KTVK, though it arguably saved WWSB.

• Like 2

A whole reel of KOAT footage from this photographer who spent five months there in 1998. Starts out with a shot of his John Christopher Burns-designed business card (and other graphics that still jump off the screen 20 years later!).

How had I not seen this before?

• Like 4

Starts out with a shot of his John Christopher Burns-designed business card (and other graphics that still jump off the screen 20 years later!).

Yeah, Burns was a client for Pulitzer (KOAT's owner). His work popped up on KOAT's sister stations as well, mainly WYFF, KCCI, WDSU, and WGAL. (WESH doesn't count cause they were still H&C owned when they debuted Jcbd's graphics in 1992).

By the way, speaking of WYFF, I'm now on the hunt for finding footage from that station from the 1990s. So far, all we have is the 1990 news update, a 1991-92 promo and update which can both be found on Facebook, some 1993-94 promos on YouTube, a short open from 1994 on NewsActive3's compilations, and a partial newscast which incorrectly stated that the station was WSPA in the video title.

• Like 1

This promo has reminded me of the sung segment open used by KTVK in the early years of Good Evening Arizona before extended CNN segments:

"Bringing you the world, we're the home of CNN!"

I wonder if that jingle has ever popped up on YouTube?

• Like 2

By the way, speaking of WYFF, I'm now on the hunt for finding footage from that station from the 1990s. So far, all we have is the 1990 news update, a 1991-92 promo and update which can both be found on Facebook, some 1993-94 promos on YouTube, a short open from 1994 on NewsActive3's compilations, and a partial newscast which incorrectly stated that the station was WSPA in the video title.

FWIW, here's a snippet of the closing theme from that era I found from a video on a WYFF alumni facebook group (that's since been made private) a while back.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1khSlAbjCvYQWVpUTdEcjNCZmM

• Like 2

Nice! I'm glad Ry's collection wasn't damaged by Harvey.

By 1993, KBMT was using Spirit of Texas and the same graphics as WUAB:

The next year, they were using Palmer News Package and a copy of KIII's open from the same time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=4YaGHvLLepU;m=6;s=24

And here's a real oddity: KBMT using The One & Only, but with their previous classic logo! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=Zaqc7IG-Owo;m=15;s=30

• Like 1