Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Continuing ewjxn excellent series of Phoenix clips, here's a 1994 KSAZ promo (just after the station switched from CBS to Fox, but with no Fox branding in evidence -- also note the just-launched 9 p.m. Arizona Prime, later renamed Arizona Prime News, seen briefly in the promo):

• Like 6

There's a good reason there's no Fox branding in that promo — this was during their three-month gap between network affiliations.

EDIT: He had the date wrong. It's from March of 1995. So that concern is there.

Later in '95 they dropped the "Channel" and became simply 10 News, but with the same graphics.

• Like 2

There's a good reason there's no Fox branding in that promo — this was during their three-month gap between network affiliations.

That makes sense! Although if I remember correctly, mentions of Fox were few and far between even during their "10 News," "Coverage You Can Count On" era (the last before their complete Fox makeover in the fall of 1996).

That makes sense! Although if I remember correctly, mentions of Fox were few and far between even during their "10 News," "Coverage You Can Count On" era (the last before their complete Fox makeover in the fall of 1996).

Have you seen the 1996 station tour video? It may be one of the greatest TV news videos ever uploaded to YouTube. It also includes something super special beginning at 17:55...

• Like 4

Ah, a transitional look that never was!

More like a gazillion of them. Keep watching. You'll see that when the lady is at the graphics computer, you can see some small previews of documents that are a bunch of less transitional KSAZ logo concepts...

The F(10)X logo is definitely more in line with what other stations (KSAZ, WAGA) did after 1996, but what ended up happening was much more "complete" — the Impact News I era.

• Like 2

Even though ewjxn has been uploading mostly late '80s-early '90s Phoenix material, the next thing I would love to see is some KPNX news from 1979 when they changed their call letters. I've always had this theory that the Gannett "Death Star" ID started earlier than 1981:

According to the top story, this aired on January 20, 1981, leading me to believe the Gannett station IDs started way earlier. I'd also like to see some KTVK from their "Count On Us" era (1978-1980).

• Like 1

Even though ewjxn has been uploading mostly late '80s-early '90s Phoenix material, the next thing I would love to see is some KPNX news from 1979 when they changed their call letters. I've always had this theory that the Gannett "Death Star" ID started earlier than 1981:

According to the top story, this aired on January 20, 1981, leading me to believe the Gannett station IDs started way earlier. I'd also like to see some KTVK from their "Count On Us" era (1978-1980).

I would also love to see anything from KTVK's "The News Image" and "Turn To News" eras; if I'm not mistaken, we've only ever seen a brief middle-of-the-newscast fragment of the former, while a brief election open and a promo is all we've got of the latter.