Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Turns out the channel with the Vicki Van Meter KNSD video has a couple more. No full opens, but the rarity of these clips makes them prime viewing.

KPHO, showing their early 1990s (to March 1994) look. Reporter Sergio Pedroza had previously worked for KTVW:

KWTV:

KRQE:

Clips from OKC and especially ABQ are extremely rare (this is the first clip of KRQE between KGGM in the late 80s and Balls and Walls in the mid-late 90s), so this is awesome to see. If only we had some of the other rarities: KUTV, KTVX, KFOR in the early 90s...

• Like 1

Thanks for posting. I came across it a while ago but never posted it on here; wasn't sure how much interest there was. That video would have been not too long after they moved into their new building on Speer. It's a little before my time, so I can't believe how awful that set originally looked. What's also interesting is that 3x3 grid design still appears in certain places all over the inside and outside of that building.

And I hate to be controversial here, but There's No Substitute > Third Street Music theme.

Sacrilege!

• Like 2

VHSgoodiesWA posted that 1991 KECI/KTVM/KCFW newscast, but it's missing the first few minutes. So much for finding much of - is that WWL News?![/QUOTE]

There's a bit of a Newsmat influence on the set design with the Newscenter Network name keyed up in the middle. Also, that's a lame name for a newscast.

We take you to Dothan, Alabama and a rare look at WDHN. In 1990! There is no news open, however. But you are checking out a rare clip of a WDHN newscast from that year. The news anchor, Linda Scott, formerly worked for WSFA in Montgomery during the 1980s. An unknown theme piece can be heard at 3:08 into the video.

And speaking of WSFA, here are a set of promos celebrating 35 years as aired in 1989. A number of WSFA employees including legendary WSFA announcer Carl Stephens make appearances in these commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9jqhkOTzmQ

Here is more News 12 Long Island. This time, it is from 1988 via a director room feed.

While News 12 Long Island was the first 24-hour local cable news channel in the nation, News 12 Connecticut started in 1982 as a local organization channel and would go on to become the first regional news channel in Connecticut. Here is a clip of News 12 Connecticut as recorded back in the 1990s.

We take you to Dothan, Alabama and a rare look at WDHN. In 1990! There is no news open, however. But you are checking out a rare clip of a WDHN newscast from that year. The news anchor, Linda Scott, formerly worked for WSFA in Montgomery during the 1980s. An unknown theme piece can be heard at 3:08 into the video.

[sNIP]

Oh, this piece isn't unknown - it's part of "Clear Choice" from the Robert Hall production library. It's also the last thing I would have expected to hear...

Oh, this piece isn't unknown - it's part of "Clear Choice" from the Robert Hall production library. It's also the last thing I would have expected to hear...

News for the 90s or the 80s? WDHN sure made you wonder...

Also... I normally avoid this channel but the original material is on Facebook...and it's Pete Rose, WKRC sports reporter!?

Some Des Moines TV News from 1995. A WOI open appears in this, and the open is pretty much a typical one from a last-place station.

I also found this WPTA 1981 raw video with a "21Alive Newsroom" logo animating at the beginning. Did it animate like this in the actual news open?

KLAX in 1995...good-yet-corny 3D graphics? Original logo still in place? The One and Only? Oh yes.

I'm starting to think the NMSA's dating is switched...from the compilation jacky9br did, Ultra News was being used in the 31LAX era...which comes immediately after this.

KLAX in 1995...good-yet-corny 3D graphics? Original logo still in place? The One and Only? Oh yes.

I'm starting to think the NMSA's dating is switched...from the compilation jacky9br did, Ultra News was being used in the 31LAX era...which comes immediately after this.

The 31LAX era had a news package that didn't debut until the mid-late 90s *and* Hearst-inspired graphics. Yeah, that's probably accurate.

!!!!! (Especially the first video! KPNX from this era is *extremely rare* and it's been 7 years since this theme has been on YT!)

Some Cedar Rapids/Waterloo market material from 1997:

And...a snippet of WEHT in 1980!

• Like 1

And 16 minutes of the WLVI News at Ten from 1992!

That's a different "56" in the lower thirds of this newscast. I also wish we had an open from WLVI during its first year of "The Ten O'Clock News" and its final year of Gannett ownership (1993).

An interesting interview with Chet Curtis and Natalie Jacobson that aired on the former WCVB magazine Good Day!, then hosted by Eileen Prose, around 1985.

Also, an interview with Dick Albert, from around the same time: