Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

And speaking of CNN moves, this is CNN International's first newscast from its custom production facility at the CNN Center in 1994 (with a report about the new studios from the 1:20 mark):

Before then, CNN International broadcast from a corner of CNN Domestic's newsroom, as you can see in this 1992 clip:

• Like 2

KRCR-TV? Whoa, that's rare!

"Northstate News: Final Edition" from February 13, 1995. KRCR was still using the ABC WNT theme, though they were about to be bought, which would precipitate the end of the interstate shield logo.

• Like 1

At least it wasn't the synthesized version like I was half-expecting, given what they had in 1981...

That is a rare market. How a tape from Chico/Redding got to Yakima, another once-rare market, baffles me. Also that is some pretty darn barebones news presentation.

WTVJ/Miami from April of 1983:

I used LinkedIn to look this up...

Jim Brosemer worked at WTVJ from 1973 to 1989. Afterwards, worked for WPTV from 1989 to 2000.

Currently, he's a professor at the University of Denver.

• Like 2

One more clip and it's VERY rare. We take you back to March 1987 where we feature a KTVE newscast from this period. The news close can be seen at 15:24 and features an unknown news theme. Anyone know what it is?

It dawned on me. The very first version (my fave) of 'Come Home To NBC' back when they just introduce the current peacock in 1986. The theme alone should've lasted a full season IMO before they switched to gospel choir version. Campaign would've lasted five (instead of four) years. The instrumental version kicks ass as well. Someone stitch up + send it to NMSA.

• Like 1

We finally get to see News Edge on WAAY, with an open from 2000...

...and one from 2001, with a heavy dose of technical difficulties on top.

Plus a very odd little open from WAFF in 1989. I suspect this may be related to KTRE 1993 - they were definitely

• Like 1

I am starting to think that is actually part of the theme package. That is the correct era for 48 The News (it's also before "WAFF 48 News" was adopted in 1989 or so). If you listen to some of the samples, the package's musical signature is actually kind of similar.

Here's News 12 Long Island in 1986:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp55Z572tLg

Couple from TCN 9 Sydney - #1 for most of its time on air.

I recorded this from the other side of the world in London in '88, when it was (lovingly) featured on a morning show. A classic.

TODAY promo featuring dream sequence with the anchors oversleeping, recorded by yours truly.

• Like 1

VHSgoodiesWA strikes again, this time with a tape haul from Bozeman, MT. Not much to see so far (though he's promising a KTVM newscast from 1991 soon), but there is this little bit...KXLF followed the lead of their Billings sister in image, it seems. (The music is an instrumental version of the image song accompanying KTVQ 1990 - The News Station, KTVQ.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=rpVYpGpZ5o8;m=2;s=30

I found some image campaigns from Nashville, Atlanta and Boston...

WTVF's "Friends You Can Turn To" image campaign from 1984. The station aired this during their 50th anniversary special in 2004.

WSMV's "The Diary" image campaign from 1992...

WXIA's Hello Georgia promo from 1985 featuring the Commodores...

WXIA's image campaign song from 1974! This promo includes a glimpse of the Pro News set. It's rare to find something from the station's pre-11Alive days.

WBZ's The One For All promos from 1980