Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

"Thames News" was probably the first news program I really liked as a kid. Here are some of my recordings from back then! They had a pretty "unique" news theme in '89! And you'd have to say that long-running Thames River ID (in your clip above) must be one of the all-time greats.

For what it's worth, I was fascinated by the retro, minimalist, vaguely "Eastern Bloc" vibe I got from this as a primary school kid..

and their timeless ID in 1989 - elegant and stunning to this day. (and the great News at One)

• Like 2

Our source needs a capture card, but apparently WDIV ran through news opens like candy in the early 80's...

As seen on the first TVbD demo, they had a different open by 1983 but this music stuck around as a bumper. And all that, in turn, was gone by 1984...

• Like 1

Behind the scenes at Thames News. Going in, you might expect something special, even whimsical, in the news gathering process at the legendary Thames Television in London. If that's the case, prepare to be disappointed; Thames made news exactly the same way as, say, WSAZ or KFVS did here, stateside. I guess that's supposed to be expected; no point in reinventing the wheel.

• Like 1

WTRF, 1988:

Ha! I just submitted a cleaner copy of this open (and an unknown theme that came after it - both were actually posted on here ages ago) that I stumbled across on Facebook to the NMSA the other day. Now I know when they changed to that unknown...it also had a 1988 date on it.

• Like 1

Ha! I just submitted a cleaner copy of this open (and an unknown theme that came after it - both were actually posted on here ages ago) that I stumbled across on Facebook to the NMSA the other day. Now I know when they changed to that unknown...it also had a 1988 date on it.

It's nice to finally see Mr. NMSA recognize the WANE-WWLP-WLOX etc. theme as VTS / News '80!! As Raymie and a few others have speculated, it must be some kind of V2 update to the original package or something. Speaking of cleaner copies, I've had the first 30 seconds of the theme in my Dropbox for a while, but recently discovered the last 30 seconds and tossed the pieces together.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qaae8xleopm5u0i/AACWvWssd11wXNjJOYO2fIUza?dl=0

look for: wwlp-wane-wlox_60 theme

Unfortuntely the last half is not a full mix. It's mostly a rhythmic version and has a hissy quality. For verification, this YouTube clip from WLOX in 1990 shows how the theme is supposed to fit together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=h9HZP93CBsw;t=22

• Like 1

I checked out the bump pieces from the WWLP-WANE-KTVW-WLOX theme by VTS and it sounds really nice.

Anyway, while checking out the YouTube app on my Kindle Fire, I found a WHNT newscast close from 1979 featuring a nice version of Tuesday's "News People" theme.

Here is something rare. A clip from WCWB-TV (now WMGT) in Macon. This is from 1980 and features a report about President Reagan's trip to Georgia. No news open is included.

[MEDIA=vimeo]204217663[/MEDIA]

I do not know if this has been shared or not, but here is a clip of WTXL-TV as recorded in the mid 1980s. A WTXL fill-in anchor at the time, Steve Hunsicker, uploaded this clip of a morning news cut-in during "Good Morning America".

[MEDIA=vimeo]10508754[/MEDIA]

We take you back to 1993 were WATE-TV covered the Blizzard of '93 with anchors Russ Murphy and Denise Dillon. News open is at 0:56 into the video. A little warning: This was recorded via a video camera pointed to the TV.

• Like 1