Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Unfortunately, most of the good classic Pittsburgh stuff on YouTube (mostly KDKA) was posted by one user, stiffkids2006, who was terminated due to multiple copyright strikes at some point in the last year. It's weird, because the vast majority of the videos on that channel were posted years ago, I remember watching videos from that channel in 2007. So I don't know why they got taken down now.

• Like 2

Today is Sunday and it's time for something rare. In fact, anytime is a good time for something rare and it is no exception. We take you back to the mid to late 1980s where WAOW presented the weekend late edition of "Newsline 9" with Liz Talbot. The open at :21 features an unknown news theme used during that period.

• Like 1

ICYMI, VHSgoodiesWA switched to a new channel...and from it, we have a KMGH close and late movie intro from March 1981.

The close theme matches the opens found in that gag reel that turned up a while back, but check out the music for the movie intro...Where You Belong!

We take you back to 1993 and 1994 where we feature a rare look at WKAG's news in the form of news reports done by former WKAG reporter, James La-Giglia. News opens can be seen at 31:04, 43:49, 53:14 and 55:13. A news rejoin can also be seen at 22:27. Talk about rare footage considering that there were no videos of WKAG newscasts other than one from 2009.

We come back to 1990 where we feature a news story from TV-43 in Hopkinsville and contains a clip of WKAG's news set from that year.

From 1988, here are the opening minutes of a KWGN newscast from 1988. The open can be seen at the beginning and features a different opening arrangement of the "WNEV News Theme" by Tuesday.

ICYMI, VHSgoodiesWA switched to a new channel...and from it, we have a KMGH close and late movie intro from March 1981.

The close theme matches the opens found in that gag reel that turned up a while back, but check out the music for the movie intro...Where You Belong!

That movie open is vintage. If I am not too badly mistaken, this must have been a syndicated package used on various stations including one in Canada that I am mentioning. CFMT in Toronto, Canada used the same package in the early 1980s for their Italian movies on the station known as Italcine.

EDIT: I did find the CFMT version of the movie open. They not only used it for Italcine (movies in Italian), they also used it for their all night movies on CFMT.

So videoholic2000 created a few clips to commemorate Cleveland TV, with tributes to all market stations.

My question is which station did a promo for the jingle used in the videos?

You're probably thinking of TM Productions' "The Best Things in Life", which was used by WWL, WYTV and others. The promo for WYTV was posted on Facebook some months back: https://m.facebook.com/groups/952495251429652?view=permalink&id=1187427394603102

However, the Cleveland jingle was not done for a station, it was commisioned by the Greater Cleveland Growth Association in 1974 as part of a campaign to improve Cleveland's public image. I doubt that it was done by TM, the singers sound different, and there is an entry in the January-June 1974 Copyright Office music catalog for "Cleveland, The Best Things in Life Are Here" written by Wilbur Dorfman, a Cleveland-based composer. Maybe that was a submission for a jingle for the campaign that wasn't used in the end, maybe someone else did the final song, maybe I'm wrong and it was also TM. Also, while it has very similar lyrics to the WYTV promo, the melody is different.

I am thinking TM's campaign was a rip-off of the Cleveland jingle with a new melody, and a more distinctive musical "logo" for the tag line.

• Like 1

Now, here's something you'll really like. A WTVT news hour from 1980, with "co-anchor for a day" then-Governor Bob Graham. He did O.K., in my opinion, just not what I'd call "big market material". Becoming a senator was a much better career move. Also, look for long, long-time NYC reporter Lou Young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=EvFEmxiTogw

We take you now to Fort Wayne, Indiana where we feature a set of news stories about Pyle Speakers as featured on WKJG, WPTA and WANE. At 1:35 is a WPTA news close from 1983 using the classic "It's All Right Here" package by Peters Productions.

From 1978, here are a few commercials as recorded off WMAR-TV in Baltimore when they were affiliated with CBS. Included toward the end is a WMAR news tease featuring Bill Markham. He would later team with Cindy Sexton at WHNT in Huntsville and WRCB in Chattanooga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3UfVn4XS70

Get ready for some rare Louisiana newscasts. Starting it off is WBRZ in Baton Rouge from back in 1984. It does contain most of the newscast with John Pastorek, but no open is shown.

Continuing with the Louisiana theme, we go to WRBT (now Nexstar-owned WVLA) where we feature an entire 10pm newscast from 1980. The theme they used during that period was also used as the theme to the NBC Nightly News during the mid to late 1970s.

And rounding it out is a complete newscast from KATC-TV in LaFayette as recorded in 1980.

• Like 1

That was bizarre- I associate Newswire with two stations, WAVY and WLVI.

Also WMAQ (where I first ran across it...).

Based on the set, it was probably December of 92? The open used the Circle 4, which then switched to the "extra bold" block 4 (used by the other NBC O&O channel 4s at the time).

November 92 (Monday after Thanksgiving) was when WNBC changed their 4, and WRC was about the same time. In April '93 KCNC was using Image IX, but the open gfx had the elements used in the Image IX package.

IMHO, Image IX is one rocking package!

Jim

The December 1992 guess is definitely mine as well on that KCNC open. It is definitely a transition between the Image VII and Image IX eras (and even the Image VII opens changed with some regularity - the open before it in that montage would have been used earlier in 1992).

Early January 1993 may also be in play. I did a little digging on the mention of a "public health emergency" in the Denver metro area...turns out there was a Hepatitis A outbreak that had to be contained around New Year's. The culprit was a catering company that handled nearly 100 holiday parties.

———

KREM and KHQ opens in 1993:

Also WMAQ (where I first ran across it...).

Based on the set, it was probably December of 92? The open used the Circle 4, which then switched to the "extra bold" block 4 (used by the other NBC O&O channel 4s at the time).

November 92 (Monday after Thanksgiving) was when WNBC changed their 4, and WRC was about the same time. In April '93 KCNC was using Image IX, but the open gfx had the elements used in the Image IX package.

The style looks similar to what WTVJ was using at the time... with the tabloid talent shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=LU8S8Gs5f6w;t=26