Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

We now take you back to 1977 where WSIU brought you the "Evening Report".

From 1989, here are a set of news clips about James Stone. At the beginning of the video is a KMGH news open from that year.

Also, here is a WDTV-5 "NewsCentral" close from 1984 featuring the classic "Tuesday13" theme as used on KWTX, WDEF, WNCT and other stations during this period.

Wait, that's not all. Here is a KVUE news open 1994 using the "Promise News Package" by Collier Concepts. Gotta love the spinning Texas capital animation in this open.

From 1980, here is an entire evening newscast on WTVT featuring Hugh Smith, Roy Leep, Andy Hardy and even Gov. Bob Graham. Yes, Gov. Bob Graham even did a workday as TV reporter/anchor for WTVT. The ID and open can be seen at 1:58 and features an unknown news theme. This is rare WTVT news material from 1980 considering this is a full newscast.

• Like 5

Here is an entire WISC-3 newscast from October 13, 1988 using the "All We Are, We Are For You" from Tuesday Productions.

Also, another entire newscast. This time, from WBAL-11 in Baltimore as aired after Villanova won the NCAA college basketball national title. It aired on April 1, 1985. At the time of the airing, WBAL was a CBS affiliate. As of 2016, WBAL is an NBC station.

Here is yet another entire newscast. This newscast comes to us from WAFF-48 in Huntsville from February 1993. Their newscasts were known as "The Tennessee Valley NewsChannel".

Here is a WAFF-48 newscast close from December 1980 featuring more of the classic WAFF/WTOC news theme used during that era.

WTVF in Nashville had a morning newscast in 1986 anchored by Les Heintz with news and Joe Case with weather. Here is their news open featuring legendary Lexington, KY news anchor John Lindgren filling in for Les.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa7FGOYaUQk

Here is a WTVF-5 news open from 1989 during the final days of "Eyewitness News". They would later become "NewsChannel 5", a branding they've had ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY42T4GwE4c

Here is a clip of the ATV Evening News from 1986 containing the opening and closing to the 6pm news. The theme they use is Tuesday Productions' "The News Image".

WTRF-7 in Wheeling, WV used the "KTVW 1986 News Theme" during the mid to late 1980s. Here is some news opens from that period.

And, here is their news close from that period.

Keeping with the WTRF theme, here is a news open from sometime in the mid to late 1980s.

It features an unknown news theme, but considering the three-note signature in Tuesday's "News 88" package, could WTRF have used that package? Anyone willing to chime in.

• Like 1

It's time for more Joplin! KOAM News at Five in April 1987, but we're missing the open:

There's a bump at 2:13, 6:53 and 11:43 and a close at 18:59. I recognize none of them. I have a 5pm open from this period with News 88, but nothing here sounds like it.

It's time for more Joplin! KOAM News at Five in April 1987, but we're missing the open:

There's a bump at 2:13, 6:53 and 11:43 and a close at 18:59. I recognize none of them. I have a 5pm open from this period with News 88, but nothing here sounds like it.

Dating myself here, but I once had a cassette *ahem, GASP* with ALL of those cuts on it from Tuesday and they were are part of a long News 88 demo. I had that when I first started in the biz in the early to mid 90's. That 6:53 mark cut that you referenced was on there and it's almost as if that theme was a repurpose from the Network Music catalog. If you listen to the :25 second mark of News 88 on the NMSA it thematically matches up with the 2:13 bump in the video. Also the 11:43 bump shares some same melody with the same NMSA cut around 40 seconds in. They're all related, but some Tuesday packs did better than others, as you know, when it comes to having a strong logo that stands out.

• Like 2

Dating myself here, but I once had a cassette *ahem, GASP* with ALL of those cuts on it from Tuesday and they were are part of a long News 88 demo. I had that when I first started in the biz in the early to mid 90's. That 6:53 mark cut that you referenced was on there and it's almost as if that theme was a repurpose from the Network Music catalog. If you listen to the :25 second mark of News 88 on the NMSA it thematically matches up with the 2:13 bump in the video. Also the 11:43 bump shares some same melody with the same NMSA cut around 40 seconds in. They're all related, but some Tuesday packs did better than others, as you know, when it comes to having a strong logo that stands out.

Wow, that's News 88? I would never have guessed.

Wow, that's News 88? I would never have guessed.

Yes sir indeed! I wish we could find more Tuesday demos or full packs out in the wild errr umm station storage, especially the WISC "All We Are" stuff. I had that demo too and it was pretty awesome considering how dated it was and featured many themes like News 88.

• Like 2

We take you back to 1977 where I encountered something rare - the opening minutes of a WSET-TV newscast. The newscast was anchored by Stan Jayson who later went to WCHS-TV during the "Eyewitness News" days. There is a news open, but no music. This was recorded a few months after channel 13 had changed it calls from WLVA-TV to WSET-TV.

Hard to believe it, but it's been 25 years ago that Washington DC television, and WUSA would never be the same. It was 25 years ago

this past Saturday that we lost the legendary Glenn Brenner on January 14, 1992. Let's keep Glenn's memory and legacy alive.

Rest in peace Glenn, and Godspeed.

Could anyone post any KDKA, WIIC turned into WPXI, WTAE, WPGH news opens/closes from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s?

Interested in Erie, PA and Youngstown, OH as well for the same time frame.

These are hard to find, rare, and would love to see them again since born and raised in western PA

Could anyone post any KDKA, WIIC turned into WPXI, WTAE, WPGH news opens/closes from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s?

Interested in Erie, PA and Youngstown, OH as well for the same time frame.

These are hard to find, rare, and would love to see them again since born and raised in western PA

Me too! Now that I've visited Pittsburgh for the first time 2 years ago, we got a Primanti Bros restaurant in Dayton and my wife and I are avid watchers of the new NBC show "This Is Us" which is mostly set in Pittsburgh. I've gotten more focused on Pittsburgh news footage. I noticed a lot of the old 80s-90s KDKA Fort Pitt Tunnel opens with The News Image got taken down. As far as the others I think I saw a bunch of WTAE from that era. There is a 1980 WIIC full newscast from the night before the Steelers won Super Bowl XIV (NBC should have used it on Episode 5 of This Is Us) and a few newscasts from after they changed the call letters.

• Like 1