Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

By the fall of 1993, KREM had finally ditched the Palmer package:

And this 1993 WBAL open is an unholy matchup of some KPRC-esque things, the CBS news graphics of the period etc...

No presentation, but how did this WCBI logo survive into the 90s???

And KENS in 1998:

• Like 3

I recently come across a reel focused on news anchor Jim Watkins. I am posting this in the pre-2000 classic video thread, because it contains contains clips of Jim Watkins on WKPT Kingsport and WTVF Nashville, two Tennessee stations where he anchored early on in his career. In fact, WKPT was the station where Jim got his first on-air gig doing weather. Check out Jim doing a WKPT weathercast at :18.

Wilson Stribling of WLBT on Facebook uploaded a WLBT newscast from 1984. The opening is very nice and features a full newscast. The WLBT 1990 News Theme is heard which leads me to believe that WLBT started using that theme in 1984 or earlier.

Also, a WPIX news open from 1984 which still used the classic MCTYW theme.

But wait, here is a KPRC newscast close from 1983 which also includes a station sign-off from that period.

Also, here is something rare. Bakersfield news clips from 1982. Starting with a KERO news open. Then going over to KPWR-TV (now KGET) and "The News Center".

Continuing with Bakersfield, here are three news stories about the South Chester drive-in that aired on KERO's "23 News", KBAK's "NewsForce 29" and KPWR-TV's "The News Center" back in 1982.

• Like 1

From 1981, here is a WRTV news open featuring an unknown news theme.

Here is another interesting find, a KOMO newscast from 1980.

Here is KARK-TV in 1980 using Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" in the intro.

Keeping with the KARK theme, here is a newscast open from election night 1988. The theme: "News 88" by Tuesday Productions.

Found another rare find...some WRBL-TV bloopers from 1984 to 1985. WRBL-TV 3 used "And You" by Telesound and even had a 7pm newscast at that time. A news close using "And You" can be seen at around 1:33.

And another rare find...some WYEA/WLTZ bloopers from 1981 to 1983. At around 5:23 is a WLTZ news close with an unknown news theme.

https://www.facebook.com/norman.easterday/videos/vb.1599750605/10202826127326468/

From 1990, here is a WOWL 6:30pm news open with Reginald Jones and Chris Field.

From 1991, here is a KTTC newscast featuring Frank Gari "Pride Inside" in their news open.

But wait there's more...here is a WLUK news close from 1976!!!! You gotta love this clip, because of the classic "Part of Your Life" theme they use in the close.

Also, I shared in an earlier reply a WLBT newscast from 1984 via Wilson Stribling. We now take you back to 1976 where we feature a full WLBT newscast from 40 YEARS AGO!!!! The news team at 6pm on WLBT at the time were Walter Saddler (news), Woodie Asaaf (weather) and Charlie MacAlexander (sports).

• Like 1

Here is another rare find. We take you back to 1985 where we feature a complete news open for WENY-TV from that year. WENY-TV's newscasts were known as "TV-36 Eyewitness News" at the time.

From 1982, here is a KOA-TV (now KCNC-TV) news clip and you have to listen to the news close at the end. It is amazing. KOA-TV/KCNC used TM Productions' "All The News" as its news close during the early 1980s.

Here is yet another WLBT vintage newscast as uploaded by Wilson Stribling. This time, from 1980.

Here is another rare find. This time, from 1983, where KVBC opens its newscast entitled "First News".

Also, here is a KVBC 6pm promo from around 1984 or 1985 with the Gari "Turn To News" theme.

Wilson Stribling of WLBT on Facebook uploaded a WLBT newscast from 1984. The opening is very nice and features a full newscast. The WLBT 1990 News Theme is heard which leads me to believe that WLBT started using that theme in 1984 or earlier.

Awesome! BTW, I knew this already and don't believe I've ever posted about it, but that WLBT theme started in 1984 and lasted until 1992. As a confirmation, Stribling posted in the comment section of another full newscast (Oct. 17, 1980) that it launched in '84. From Wilson's comment: "Channel 3 used (Firepower) for about five years until changing to something a bit more modern in 1984"

Personal sidenote: I know that the theme was a custom production for WLBT when "Frank Melton / Civic Communications" took over the station that year and was recorded and produced in a Jackson area recording studio. The package was updated with an additional theme mix in the late 80's/early 90's for their morning and midday show, that was loosely based on the main theme, with hints of the same melody.

The theme really held up great over the years considering it was a synthesizer and drum machine production! Perhaps, Wilson may be able to uncover a reel in their promo offices or some additional info/documentation on the theme if you or someone else happens to reach out to him.

Here's another clip with a longer audition of the music.... and not too sure why the audio operator had to do that weird cross-fading with the mix, but ohhhh wells

Here is a WCTI-TV 12 news promo featuring the voice of Bob Knowles (RIP) and Tuesday Productions' "Action News" package.

Here is another news promo. This time, for KMST-TV 46 (now KION) from the early 1980s. KMST aired local news at 6:30pm and 11pm at the time.

But wait, there's more. Here is a KHON "Channel 2 News" promo using the NBC Just Watch Us Now theme as recorded back in 1982.

And from 1981, here is a rare KMST newscast intro.

Also, KHON-TV 2 featured Paul Udell as one of the anchors and does a commentary to close out a newscast. It features an unknown theme.

Here is another Hawaii discovery, a KHON news intro from 1981 with Joe Moore at the anchor desk. The video also features a local KHON/NBC "Our Pride is Showing" promo.

Not only that, KHON even had a morning newscast during the 1980s. Here is that intro.

A new rare find: A vintage promo from 1984 as recorded via Lansing's WLNS-TV 6. This was done before or after the call letter switch from WJIM-TV to WLNS. The theme they used was Tuesday8 by Tuesday Productions.

Since it is Throwback Thursday, how about a WLUC-TV 6 news promo from 1985 featuring the anchor team of Steve Apslund and Jane Flasch.

Continuing with the Throwback Thursday theme, here is a KECI promo from 1989. Their newscast title was "Western Montana News" as abbreviated as "WM News".

[quote name='KnoxvilleTVFan']From around 1983/1984, here is a KOAM-TV news open featuring the classic "Tuesday3" theme and a mention of Brian Williams doing weather - THE Brian Williams currently on MSNBC.[/QUOTE] This is Tuesday[I]E[/I], not Tuesday[I]3[/I]...but still, yet another thing to throw into the Joplin blender... At this point this feels like a topic for a @Raymie article...
  • Like 1

[quote name='ChesapeakeTV']This is Tuesday[I]E[/I], not Tuesday[I]3[/I]...but still, yet another thing to throw into the Joplin blender... At this point this feels like a topic for a @Raymie article...[/QUOTE] Oops...I meant TuesdayE. Thank you for pointing that out. Now feast your eyes on something exciting. KERO and other McGraw-Hill owned stations used "The News" as their newscast title during the 1970s and early 1980s. Not only did WRTV used this theme you're about to hear, KERO did as well. Here is their newscast open with ID... https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=386521823609 And here is their close. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=386522613609 Need I remind all of you that these were from the early 1980s, a few years before the "23 News" era. And here is a KARK news open from the early 1980s with Gannett ID at the start. KARK was owned by Gannett for a short time before being sold to new owners. Tegna (formerly Gannett) currently owns KTHV as of 2016. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=135566689874235 Before Bill Williams took over in 1977, it was Steve Burgin, currently on WLKY, anchoring a newscast on WBIR in the 1970s. Here is a news open and bumper from that era. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=726439480820577 From June 1983, here is a WTCN newscast using "Hello News" by Frank Gari. Although the open is clipped, it showcases "11 News" on WTCN during that era. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1307070655989007

[quote name='ChesapeakeTV']This is Tuesday[I]E[/I], not Tuesday[I]3[/I]...but still, yet another thing to throw into the Joplin blender... At this point this feels like a topic for a @Raymie article...[/QUOTE] Not [I]more[/I] Joplin... I'm putting this open closer to 1982, when we know Williams came to KOAM. (Wikipedia has him there 1981-82, [URL='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myqkChJXtII']Dowe Quick says he arrived at KOAM in 1982[/URL]...) Additionally in August 1982, Larry Wheeler left KOAM to work at WLOS. It does not match the open that was used with the Network Music EWN theme [URL='http://jmp.sh/Tq3m48P'](here's how that looked)[/URL]. I always pegged that around 1982-83, potentially closer to KOAM's 1982 switch in networks. Knowing what we know now, that could very well have been part of an open set that debuted with the network switch. "NEWSEVEN" was the name used in the late 70s so this makes sense. Those opens have to come before the Action 7 News era (Get to Know Us) which lasted from 1984 to 1986. For more information, I have kept updated my [URL='https://www.facebook.com/john.baccala/videos/2072332325617/']Correcting Joplin[/URL] thread.

Now that I've gotten Joplin out of the way, let's go to where America's day begins for what is by far the oldest news open we've ever had from Guam! (It's in the NMSA, but I've never seen it before.)

Here's a double feature: WWBT 1984 with WLIG 1986 and WWBT 1986 with WPXI 1981:

• Like 2