Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

A 1990 WTHR open with one of the oddest mixouts of Great News I've ever heard (and the TVbD "long box graphics" also used by WFSB and WFTV, among others):

Neat find! I forgot WTHR had that news open at some point. It looks like that's about 3 (or 4?) TVbD opens that they've used.

Some old WTMJ promos in here, including their knockoff version of "Hello Milwaukee" at 5:36.

Also a high quality upload of parts of a newscast from 1972, featuring some interesting chromakey effects and use of the exciting Vidifont CG here and there (mostly at the end with a credits roll)

• Like 1

A blank filled...KCRA in 1984, with a theme carrying the WTNCF signature but which I don't recognize. Certainly doesn't sound like a Peters Productions theme like what the NMSA says...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=Zz3vy-NsyKI;m=4;s=1

The channel also has KCRL in 1989, giving us a complete look at their open with WAVY 1985...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=zD0DLtUgRK0;m=5;s=38

• Like 1

That KCRA theme is the first iteration of Earl Grizzell's WTNCF theme. (The later orchestral version was done under the auspices of VTS; from what I discussed with Hal Brown, it appears that Grizzell joined the VTS team after he wrote WTNCF on his own.)

NMSA is wrong that KCRA used those Peters themes up to 1986.

(Actually, as an aside, I have doubts KCRA and You is even Peters at all. I have a fan-made Tuesday radio/TV jingle montage put together by someone on a radio jingle forum, and there is a KCRA and You image jingle on there. Furthermore, the theme sample on NMSA sounds much more Tuesday than it does Peters - now that more Peters stuff has been identified, it's clear that Peters had its own distinct sound. The only other package which sounds Tuesday-esque is TV 8 News Theme, but we know that's Peters because ClassicThemes.com says so, and the curator is not only a San Diego native, but also wrote said package while on staff at Peters. Or maybe KCRA and You is Peters and that image song was put on that Tuesday compilation by mistake, I dunno. I'll have to investigate this more...)

That KCRA theme is the first iteration of Earl Grizzell's WTNCF theme. (The later orchestral version was done under the auspices of VTS; from what I discussed with Hal Brown, it appears that Grizzell joined the VTS team after he wrote WTNCF on his own.)

NMSA is wrong that KCRA used those Peters themes up to 1986.

(Actually, as an aside, I have doubts KCRA and You is even Peters at all. I have a fan-made Tuesday radio/TV jingle montage put together by someone on a radio jingle forum, and there is a KCRA and You image jingle on there. Furthermore, the theme sample on NMSA sounds much more Tuesday than it does Peters - now that more Peters stuff has been identified, it's clear that Peters had its own distinct sound. The only other package which sounds Tuesday-esque is TV 8 News Theme, but we know that's Peters because ClassicThemes.com says so, and the curator is not only a San Diego native, but also wrote said package while on staff at Peters. Or maybe KCRA and You is Peters and that image song was put on that Tuesday compilation by mistake, I dunno. I'll have to investigate this more...)

Has anyone reached out to Earl Grizzell? I hope those original themes are preserved / have some way to be preserved. Would be a great TVPMM addition.

This predates Symphony by about a year.

I know; that's just what it sounded like to me.

There's an unknown WTLV package in ASCAP known as "The Works" by Shelly Palmer. This theme certainly merits that title.

Shelly Palmer didn't really have a distinct sound the way most news music composers do. PNP sounded nothing like Brave New World, which sounded nothing like Millennium 3. WTLV's 1988 package could certainly be "The Works", but the same could be said for WTLV's 1991 theme. Another news music mystery.

Hey. So I decided to go back and reup some of my old clips that I did for TVArk over a decade ago. I wanted to see some of the stuff in a nicer format, you know?

I'm starting with this - a montage of WNBC circa 1984. Mostly I wanted to get that two minute cut of Scott Schreer's delicious, delicious theme music.

• Like 4

Hey. So I decided to go back and reup some of my old clips that I did for TVArk over a decade ago. I wanted to see some of the stuff in a nicer format, you know?

I'm starting with this - a montage of WNBC circa 1984. Mostly I wanted to get that two minute cut of Scott Schreer's delicious, delicious theme music.

Good to see you back. I knew that you had given them some clips- you were listed among their contributors- but I didn't know which. Can you upload some of those WCBS "2News" era clips next?

Just love the live Don Pardo open announce.

Good to see you back. I knew that you had given them some clips- you were listed among their contributors- but I didn't know which. Can you upload some of those WCBS "2News" era clips next?

If I can get it, sure. The DVDs that contain those clips are literally all over the place here, and I'm looking for some stuff myself. Rb1330's channel has made me want to upload the Studio 1A version of WNBC Live at Five (I have the first full newscast), but it's on a DVD buried somewhere and I don't have anything to play my original VHS source of it at the moment. I'll be uploading what I have though!

Just love the live Don Pardo open announce.

It gets better; he does announcing throughout the show, too, and it's just as live as that open. You'll see teasers with him on camera. It's great.

If I can get it, sure. The DVDs that contain those clips are literally all over the place here, and I'm looking for some stuff myself. Rb1330's channel has made me want to upload the Studio 1A version of WNBC Live at Five (I have the first full newscast), but it's on a DVD buried somewhere and I don't have anything to play my original VHS source of it at the moment. I'll be uploading what I have though!

It gets better; he does announcing throughout the show, too, and it's just as live as that open. You'll see teasers with him on camera. It's great.

do you have a list of your stuff at all?

Both KDNL and WXLV axed their newscasts in late 2001 in the throes of the post-9/11 recession. They were dragging through low ratings, and KDNL had some sort of transmitter failure in the spring of 2001 that led to audience loss and prompted the news to be axed. WXLV's news ended in January 2002.

I don't think that decision would have been taken today, but at the time and with Sinclair being a much smaller broadcaster, things were different. That might not have been a bad idea with St. Louis, as that's a pretty stagnant market without a lot of growth potential.

• Like 1

Both KDNL and WXLV axed their newscasts in late 2001 in the throes of the post-9/11 recession. They were dragging through low ratings, and KDNL had some sort of transmitter failure in the spring of 2001 that led to audience loss and prompted the news to be axed. WXLV's news ended in January 2002.

I don't think that decision would have been taken today, but at the time and with Sinclair being a much smaller broadcaster, things were different. That might not have been a bad idea with St. Louis, as that's a pretty stagnant market without a lot of growth potential.

I know that WXLV has news again but it doesn't beat their original attempt and even by then, it was bad.

• Like 3

It's been a long time since Jacky had this much good stuff...

I mean, I've never seen that KPNX OTS graphic. I wonder if there was a matching open pack used for a hot moment at the end of the 80s?

There's also KTAL in 1994...

KSLA in 1991...

KLTV in 1985...

KPLC's 1990 image song...

KFDM in 1992 (see: WSB)...

this outstanding KLFY newsbreak from 1986...