Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

That's interesting too because it shows the original "SIX IS NEWS" logo set. In 1997, as occurred at many of the New World stations, Fox branding was made more prominent. At a few, like WITI and WAGA, the original brand was simply modified and lasted one more year.

Also interesting was the custom theme based on "The FAT Package" signature which was used at the time.

I know I supposed to post vintage news opens and newscasts pre-2000, but I found some that might be news related. I found a 1988 episode of $100K Pyramid from 1988 when local news anchor Eric Greene (WUAB/WOIO anchor Now at WEEK) was a contestant on the classic game show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycaZD5ZM-a4

• Like 2

Could that WPCQ newscast have been the last one? That was around the time Group W was for whatever reason axing everything it could at WPCQ. The ending of "Bon voyage from channel 36" is weird too.

Yeah- if they cut everything they could while they owned 36, why'd Group W even buy it?

We take you back to 1985 and a couple of stories about the demise of local Pensacola CHR station WBSR. It features reporters Bob Henderson from WEAR and Randy Wood from WJTC. In the WJTC clip shown in the video I am sharing, this was recorded when WJTC had a nightly newscast at 9pm or 10pm at the time. The reporter, Randy Wood, outros the report with this: "Randy Wood, Channel 44 News" so it may have been WJTC's newscast title during that period. However, there is no intro. But, you have a rare look at two TV stations covering a local news story in Pensacola/Ft. Walton/Mobile during 1985.

Another WITI promo from the Fox transition era? Yes please! The "Six is News" name wasn't in place yet, but the "FAT Package II" theme was:

I'm actually finding more stuff:

When WITI & WAGA switch from CBS to FOX both stations had the same Prime Time Set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=o7rXOQ1qO1U;list=PL4M8-iCgRoKdOyfJE0GIvK47CxeQtuJt8

• Like 3

With all the recent findings of classic news video, here is one that I felt like sharing. From October 27, 1983...here are the final 70 minutes of the Satellite News Channel as recorded on that date. In the two-part video you are about to see, it features the news, weather and sports personalities providing their final moments on SNC before the last story is of the network itself. For over a year, SNC was the competitor to CNN. After SNC signed off, many cable systems in the United States switched over to CNN.

Here are a set of reports that aired on WAND and WCIA about the Findlay, IL tornado back in 1990. The beginning of the video contains a partial WAND news open using the classic KSD news theme from the early 1980s.

While looking for news opens on YouTube, I found one from WAVY-TV 10. The year: 1983. The newscast broadcasted live from Harborfest featuring a report from Terry Zahn.

We take you back to 1985 where WTVZ 33 Norfolk brings you a local news break. WTVZ was an independent station that later became a FOX and WB affiliate. The station is now the MyNetworkTV affiliate for Hampton Roads.

Here is a WAFF "We're Your Kind of People" promo from 1985. The video is in better quality than previously seen on YouTube. The promo video features WAFF personalities as they go throughout the Tennessee Valley to reach out.

We take you to 1980 where former WEAU-TV news personality (now of KTXL) Jim Crandell brings to you a presentation about the high-tech production techniques and equipment that the station had. Take a listen to the first minute of the video as it starts with an image promo about Wisconsin. WEAU used the "Get To Know Us" package from TM Productions during that period.

Even though this is not news, this is the earliest video that I have found of WSVN's hit entertainment TV show, Deco Drive.

For those who are very unfamiliar about the show, it debuted on January 8th, 1996 as a reformat from their previous incarnation as 7:30 (with KNTV's Jessica Aguirre, who's in this clip and the late great Kelley Mitchell, RIP) and before that as Inside Story with Penny Daniels when it was supposed to be a news magazine, turning entertainment flashy. I believe it wasn't too long after this clip when they were replaced by Lynn Martinez and Belkys Nerey. Belkys went to go do the news in 2003 and Louis Aguirre took over and did it for 11 years with Martinez until he left to go do The Insider and currently hosts it with Debbie Matenopoulos, whom I call her as Debbie Mat. Martinez and WSVN's entertainment reporter, Shireen Sandoval currently host the show with Chris Van Vliet, another entertainment reporter for WSVN, as a fill-in host if needed. I remember that an ex-entertainment reporter for WSVN, Ellie Rodriguez, used to host the show as well when she was reporting as well until she left a few years ago. The program, which celebrated 20 years in January, currently airs brand NEW at 7:30pm and airs a repeat at 11:30pm.

This is a piece the show did on Jennifer Love Hewitt in August of '96, months after the show was reformatted as an entertainment flashy show and originally, it was aired at 7:00pm before moving back to 7:30pm when WSVN moved "Inside Edition" back to 7:00pm.

• Like 2

In a recent reply, I shared a video containing three Atlanta TV news opens from 1976 (WSB, WAGA and WXIA). Now, there is another video to be shared. We take you back to April 22, 1984 where WSB-TV opened its newscast. The news team at the time were John McKnight and Jill Becker on news, Ernie Johnson on sports and Dan Atkinson with weather. The theme they used was Gari's "Newschannel" theme package.

But wait, there's more. We take you to 1994 where we view both WGPR (now WWJ-TV, CBS) and WJBK (now FOX). Watch at 6:22 where you can view a portion of a Steve Antoniotti editorial aired on WJBK that details the station's FOX affiliation plans which included FOX's national favorites and more news.

That WGPR-CBS promo with the solar eclipse is similar to

The irony is rich... "CBS is bigger than ever" on a high channel number and it's going "where no network has gone before". When I wrote a New World at 20 piece titled "62's a Pretty Big Number", I didn't know that promo existed!

WGPR was about to undergo arguably the biggest metamorphosis of all the new network affiliates. What a strange lineup they had to have had at this time with these local shows and the CBS network programming!

The WJBK switch promo is pretty cool and is similar in tone (not entirely) to the one KSAZ did.

Here a WAGA video the station produce, but never made it on air about the switch.

Hey guys, glad you're enjoying the WITI transition clips. I've got more to get to. For those of you playing the YouTube game for many years, you may remember me as "MilwaukeeTVMadman." I got suspended in 2010 or thereabout from a series of terribly executed copyright takedowns. With no recourse, I decided to shelf the entire hobby for years. I recently picked everything back up with a lot of new materials, with more constantly being uncovered. I used to focus on the 1980's, as it was the best-surviving material in my collection. I have now found a trove of beautiful 1990's source tapes, from which you are seeing clips. Most are SLP, some in SP. They all play great with minimal picture issues. It's a real "what you get is what you get" sort of situation when you find tapes. I'm sure everybody knows that. You're not always going to find that 35 minute aircheck at the end of "48 Hours." Sometimes it's a blip - sometimes a few minutes. My philosophy is that every frame counts. I even have a folder full of misfires and "tape potpourri" for parties! I don't have a vanity URL for YouTube yet (dumb 100 subscriber rule!), but I can be easily reached at thetvmadman.com, or @TheTVMadman on twitter. I have a metric ton of WITI promos from the 1970's to the 1990s from studio masters. I have a couple up already ("Your Kind Of People," "The Winners") with more to come as time goes on. I'm trying my best to restrain myself from uploading everything at once. Thanks again for the appreciation for the content. I am reading back on the threads on this board, and it's a gas!! I didn't even see half of this stuff had been posted!
  • Like 5

Hey guys, glad you're enjoying the WITI transition clips. I've got more to get to.

Thanks so much. There was sort of a big hole in that "Six Is News" era. The clips we have on YT now show how quickly WITI was changing — the use of the original "TV6" brand, "Six Is News", and then a more provisional "Fox Six" prior to a reboot in 1998. It must have been a revolving door of brand identities and collateral there!

• Like 1

For those of you playing the YouTube game for many years, you may remember me as "MilwaukeeTVMadman." I got suspended in 2010 or thereabout from a series of terribly executed copyright takedowns. With no recourse, I decided to shelf the entire hobby for years. I recently picked everything back up with a lot of new materials, with more constantly being uncovered.

I was wondering exactly what happened to that channel. Glad to see you're back to displaying classic Milwaukee footage.

• Like 2

Regarding channel suspension...

I don't want to hijack this thread too bad, but I did want to to say that the following things can help when trying to keep your YouTube channel up and running. My channel was suspended due to a couple of these, and I now do not upload a whole category of clips and promos. Things have changed, but if I learned anything it's...

- Avoid network promos that have footage of TV shows in them. I know, that's about every single one of them. The problem with network promos is that a movie studio owns that footage - no matter how it's blocked with your favorite station's graphics or music - they still own every part of that particular moving image.

- Most televised specials or special events are now administered by a 3rd party than originally broadcast it. This 3rd party may be more vigilant of how the footage is used, and may not be too kind to your use of even so much as a bumper.

- NBC/Universal is the most vigilant of the use of their properties - though I have noticed a specific drop recently in enforcement for older clips, and things clearly being used as historical or "aircheck" material by hobbyists.

- WWE loves to issue monetization orders to random videos. They will not back down, claiming they own the most asinine of things (Amoco spots, various automobile commercials), forcing their ads on to them. The good is that it is not a COPYRIGHT STRIKE - it is only a claim to monetize. You can delete the video and clear it up, but it's still a very dumb trend.

- NEVER monetize your channel. We don't own this stuff - it's unfair and immoral to make money from views relating to them. This is one category you can really get nailed on, so never ever do it. If YouTube finds out you're doing it, every Google account you have will be shuttered, and you will likely be taken to court. Copyright infringement for money is a big deal!

FYI!

-TheTVMadman

• Like 4