Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Found this August 20, 1986 WTKR News 3 clip (from just before the Discover the Land of the 3 period). Clearly a transitional period (still using the Serifa typeface and early-1980s 3; but toward the end we see the Discover-era mural of the Norfolk skyline behind Ed Hughes)

Promo for "The News at 10" from WAFF, 1988:

The theme is in the NMSA as KTRE 1993. I had originally thought it might be Non-Stop's USA News, but this example makes that highly unlikely. This would have been used...alongside KSL 1989? We don't have enough WAFF from the period, especially opens.

I got a few videos to share. Most are rare Denver stuff.

KCEC Univision ID (1995):

KCEC News Update (1995):

KUBD Telemundo Station ID (1994). This was Denver's original Telemundo affiliate:

KCNC Partial Newscast (1992). Last few minutes:

KMGH 7 News Open (1986). This is from the mysterious "Turn to News" era:

KUSA 9 News 10PM Open (1996):

Another great newsmat set in that KMGH clip.

What's the running tally on that....

KOMO - Seattle

WPXI - Pittsburgh

KTRK - Houston

WLWT - Cincinnati

WTVD - Raleigh

All big three networks represented, and don't forget KOVR and KSNW (I think KUTV had it, too).

I don't think I haven't shared these, but here's some rare classic treats from Univision's local affiliates!

WXTV Univision 41 ID, news open and first minutes of the newscast circa 1990:

KMEX Noticentro 34 news open and top story from around 1990 or 1991:

By around 1992, KMEX's newscast was renamed to "Noticias 34".

Well, those are new ones. This has been a very good year so far for finding new Spanish-language news opens. The WXTV one was in the NMSA, but not that early.

By 1993, KMEX was using the 1990s themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=UCeGMo6wlso;t=167

Does anyone happen to have the video clip(s) of the WXTV news open from 1993? It's too bad that NMSA only has the audio of it.

From pannoni5's channel; here's the April 6, 1978 edition of ABC Evening News (video aspect ratio is somewhat on the narrow side)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnWW8iudf-c

Same user, different channel (pannoni4). This one is the ABC Evening News from July 14, 1977 covering the NYC blackout

Also on pannoni4's channel; the entire extended edition of WABC's 11:00 Eyewitness News

• Like 1

WAVY added another classic newscast from their archives; this time a May 22, 1986 edition of the Daily News focusing on an A-6 crash at the Oceana Naval air station in Virginia Beach (also the first clip I've seen of CBS News reporter Byron Pitts when he worked at the station)

• Like 1

Just uploaded... a few more from my tapes:

Very nice, classy look from NBC (from Channel 7, Sydney)

The typewriters going off at Ten News ;)

Ten Sydney 6:00PM 1991

Some sloppy editing on this WAFF open from 1981:

If you pause at 0:18 you'll see four small still frames of male anchormen...none of them at WAFF!

Upper left: Doug Weathers of WTOC. The L3 reads "Doug Weathers / Channel Eleven News"

Upper right: ??

Lower left: Mike Shain of KFVS

Bottom right: ?? of KJAC?

The source for the video is a station employee. I think this might be two videos sawed together. But still, interesting to see.

———

After the fire of 1982, WAFF changed its image, improved its facilities and got a new slogan, We're Your Kind of People. For the first time, the image song has surfaced on YT:

There is a matching news theme but I have it only in audio. NewsActive3 had it for a while.

Puerto Rico dump INCOMING:

A close to a WAPA 5pm newscast from 1983:

A promo from 1990 with Turn To...with an odd drum backing track:

A news update from 1995. WAPA with Newswatch 24. It's real:

Meanwhile... WLII in 1986. This was a year-ender news special "1986 in The News" but could this have been their actual news theme from when they returned to the air that year? I rather like it!

• Like 3

This is an interesting story within the halftime bet. NY Giants and the (again) LA Rams WK 3 in '93 season. CBS' The NFL Today Halftime report anchored by Greg Gumble (along with Terry Bradshaw) detailed possible expansion granting new cities new franchises. Stl, Baltimore, Charlotte, Jax, Memphis. Eventually all but Memphis received the prizes. Crosstown Nashville instead received it. One eyebrow raised moment of course is on St. Louis. Self explanatory since it's coincidental given the source you're watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h=1;id=qmYJZ0qjJXc;m=18;s=14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h=1;id=EdkynjibqWs;m=22;s=57

From Sept. 21, 1985: an early-season broadcast of The Prudential College Football Report w/Jim Nantz and Pat Haden (the game it was on was Georgia/Clemson, from Memorial Stadium in Clemson, SC; Brent Musburger and Ara Parseghian were the announcers; the game was also from WSPA Channel 7 [CBS station in my area]). Listen out for quite a few mistakes (one being that Jim quotes Georgia as leading 7-3, when the graphic on the monitor shows Clemson as leading by that score).

prucfr85jimandpatinstudio4.jpg.7b8484f8c3248226f6fda2250321a212.jpg

• Like 3

More WVEC footage I put up (one from 1999; the rest from May 1995).

First, the 1999 WVEC "Thirteen Means News" ID

A 1995 "Spirit of Hampton Roads" ID; though instead of a snippet of the jingle being played or sung we hear a choir harmonizing

WVEC's Crime Line promo

Finally; a WVEC School Spirit promo for a rerun of the 1988 NBC mini-series "(Gore Vidal's) Lincoln"