Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

A WTOC high school football highlights show from 1991. Includes some interesting promos and commercials. WTOC (CBS) also had Wheel and Jeopardy at the time, before they moved to WJCL (ABC). Now they are on WSAV (NBC). There can’t be many markets where those shows were on all of the Big Three stations at one time or another.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

My speculation is that KTSP debuted that set whenever Karen Carns jumped ship from KTVX in ‘89. Which just makes me wish I was watching that station in 1989 instead...

The set debuted the week of April 24, 1989, and I believe the entire rest of The Vision imaging came along at the same time.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Shame on you jacky9br for not uploading this sooner so I could include it in my WBRZ compilation!!!

Do you think that you might be able to include it in a revision? After all, IIRC, you have posted revised editions of many of the packages you posted earlier to include new material that was recently discovered since you first posted those packages.

• Like 2

[quote name='bmasters1']Do you think that you might be able to include it in a revision? After all, IIRC, you have posted revised editions of many of the packages you posted earlier to include new material that was recently discovered since you first posted those packages.[/QUOTE] Idk... the ones I update need to have at least tons of holes. If it’s just one new open posted, I usually let it rest. Besides, new news opens get published every day! Also I’m trying to decide on what to do for a Virginia compilation - should I do Richmond or Norfolk? Or both? I really love both markets and have been there too. And speaking of VA, that WDBJ open has seen YT before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQZ2SPTtkTE I posted that clip back in February and @ChesapeakeTV called it one of the worst depictions of VA he’s ever seen.
  • Like 2

[QUOTE="Info Junkie, post: 221027, member: 3593"]Also I’m trying to decide on what to do for a Virginia compilation - should I do Richmond or Norfolk? Or both? I really love both markets and have been there too. And speaking of VA, that WDBJ open has seen YT before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQZ2SPTtkTE I posted that clip back in February and @ChesapeakeTV called it one of the worst depictions of VA he’s ever seen.[/QUOTE] WAVY has a fairly complete open history on YouTube going back to 1980... just missing the daytime Wall to Wall opens. WVEC’s is somewhat complete going back to the early 80s. WTKR has holes in the 80s and an “undiscovered” open used in 1998/99 when they first switched to Ignitor. Feel free to reach out if you need help compiling these. That WDBJ open may be a terrible depiction of the Commonwealth, but I’d definitely place it in the top 10 Virginia news opens! A classic for sure. Edited by Ntropolis
  • Like 1

Consider that open discovered!

There’s also this too (15:14)

I also want to see some more WTVR from the late 90s when they were under the Media General/Raycom transition. Aside from this video there were plenty of NMSA samples of them using “The One and Only” on there. Were there some other opens on YT at one point or something?

• Like 3

How many cities did they list in that ID!?

I counted seven. It would have been fine if they just listed its service area as "Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Hampton/Newport News" or "Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Hampton". Any more than four cities in a station ID is reaching into overkill territory. Four is OK, depending on whether the market consists of that many significant population centers.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

I counted seven. It would have been fine if they just listed its service area as "Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Hampton/Newport News" or "Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Hampton". Any more than four cities in a station ID is reaching into overkill territory. Four is OK, depending on whether the market consists of that many significant population centers.

Those are the "seven cities" that make up Hampton Roads. All of the stations gradually added more cities to their legal ID in the 90s and into the early 2000s for some reason.

• Like 5

I found old news opens from KTVX's old days (when they had different call letters) from their website. The NMSA already has them, but I decided to upload the news opens to YouTube.

I wonder if they’ll upload any 80s opens? Thanks for that - this’ll make SLC easier for me.

Here’s some WVIT and WFSB in the late 80s

• Like 1