WDIV started a trend of hourlong anniversary specials in Detroit 

Here's WXYZ - Robbie and Diana look great and both very gracious about Bill 

WXYZ promos reel

And WJBK getting in on it

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MD TV said:

The first few minutes of WNBC News 4 New York from September 30, 1980 (12:37):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5inuKzOHTEU&t=758s

At this time they just started using that name/music/set but I don't think I've ever seen that WNBC logo.

That logo only lasted a month. I don't think anyone knows why the logo was revised to the logo used for 9 1/2 years other than it was too similar to WTAE's logo in Pittsburgh. Notice the original 4 logo split to show the cities versus zooming into the screen and the counties flashed downward into the New York part of the logo versus falling downward into it. Awesome find!

Also the original 4 logo was displayed in parts of a News 4 New York "Best of My Love-esque" promo that ran for over a year on the station from the premiere of News 4 New York in September 1980 until sometime at the end of 1981.

Edited by jerseyfla

On 2/26/2024 at 6:35 PM, MD TV said:

The first few minutes of WNBC News 4 New York from September 30, 1980 (12:37):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5inuKzOHTEU&t=758s

At this time they just started using that name/music/set but I don't think I've ever seen that WNBC logo.

Two things I'd like to say:

--First, a question: was this an evening edition (6 P.M.) or a late one (11 P.M.)?

--Second, an observation: I noticed that there was no announcer on this apparent maiden voyage of News 4 New York.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmasters1 said:

--First, a question: was this an evening edition (6 P.M.) or a late one (11 P.M.)?

--Second, an observation: I noticed that there was no announcer on this apparent maiden voyage of News 4 New York.

It's the 11pm newscast based on the tease from earlier in the video. Also, this is likely the second night of "News 4 New York." Research from old newspaper clippings and ads placed the first "News 4 New York" on Monday, September 29. Sue would be moved off of 6pm a few weeks later to "Live at Five."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, capsgm2002 said:

It's the 11pm newscast based on the tease from earlier in the video. Also, this is likely the second night of "News 4 New York." Research from old newspaper clippings and ads placed the first "News 4 New York" on Monday, September 29. Sue would be moved off of 6pm a few weeks later to "Live at Five."

IMHO, the 11 pm news broadcast may have been from the third week of N4NY's debut. I possess a few WNBC reports dated 09/14, 09/15, and 09/16/1980 regarding the protests against the closure of Sydenham Hospital. I have attached a screenshot from the weekend broadcast dated 09/14/1980, which shows the temporary 4. Additionally, the temporary 4 lasted for just one month.

WNBC News 4 New York 09 14 1980.jpg

Edited by netnewsguy
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

There was no announcer on the Live at Five, 6pm, and weekend shows too. That lasted about a month before Fred Facey took over. I think Pardo took over only Live at Five a few months later.

Edited by netnewsguy