Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

I'm not upset that the video was posted...I appreciate it! 😀 I've got more coming in the next few weeks as I have time. This includes, hopefully, the oldest newscast clip I have found - more than 4 months older than my previous record.

Edited by VHSgoodiesWA

59 minutes ago, 10Viewer said:

WTSP noon newscast from 1991 with Jineane Ford (later of KPNX) and Al Ruechel. The "NewsCenter 10" era. 

Little did we know that WTSP would become a sister station to KPNX in 1995. Not to mention the switch from ABC to CBS to go with Gannett buying Channel 10. A connection to Jineane Ford right there. Both KPNX and WTSP are owned by Gannett (now Tegna)

Edited by newsteam13
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

KFVS 12 News (unknown year)

1983 per the copyright…

interesting to see Dave Courvosier at 12 - I’m used to seeing him on Vegas…

Also, the Food Horizon’s ad (2nd ad in after Roberta droning on about her 3rd mobile home from Farrell’s) music sounds like something a smaller market station might have used for their own local news at the time.

J

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H-Town TV Fan said:

WBNS 10-TV Eyewitness News (January 23, 1984)

The Eyewitness Sports slide on the monitor beside Gary Radnich has part of the CBS Sports logo of the time (apropos, because WBNS is the CBS station of Columbus).

wbnssports1984.jpg.9f1b7ff031eea814d8d540938c31c36b.jpg

17 hours ago, compubit said:

1983 per the copyright…

interesting to see Dave Courvosier at 12 - I’m used to seeing him on Vegas…

IIRC, Dave Courvosier is originally from the Cape Girardeau area. This may have been his first run at his hometown station.

I first saw him at KLAS-TV in LV around 2006 and thought he had the coolest anchor name ever. All thanks to that Busta Rhymes song.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes

Behind the scenes at CNN as the Space Shuttle Challenger blew up on liftoff 38 years ago:

(This was shot by a crew who happened to be making a promo in the newsroom at the time.)

• Like 2

Snippet from Today in New York, 2007.

WNBC's looked really good aesthetically here, and they had good talent. So, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what caused them to drop in the ratings to the point of cutting newscast at that time? Was it simply because WCBS made improvements and displaced them for second in some timeslots?

Edited by MediaZone4K

Now here's a FOX NEWS intro like we've never seen before. This was a pre-Roger Ailes period. The FOX 1994-96 ID with the word NEWS at the bottom. Rupert Murdoch haven't created the news division YET. He did created one a year later in 1996, alongside co-founder Roger Ailes, who was the news division's President and CEO. FOX News Channel wasn't to compete with CBS, ABC or NBC news. It was actually to compete against CNN, the granddaddy of all cable news channels. 

image.thumb.png.489f1430a889724c7015f0dabc6cd773.png

Now, check out this FOX News Special Report direct from one of FOX's O&O stations in our nation's capital (WTTG FOX 5 Washington). BEFORE Roger Ailes and Rupert Murdoch founded the news division.

47 minutes ago, sfomspphl said:

WLS Eyewitness News 10pm November 1986 

Also notable, that's sports anchor Jim Rose with the opening voiceover, that night.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 24994J said:

Also notable, that's sports anchor Jim Rose with the opening voiceover, that night.

Why would a sports man on that Chicago ABC O&O be the announcer on that late edition?

6 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

Why would a sports man on that Chicago ABC O&O be the announcer on that late edition?

They were still using live staff announcers, at this point, and until around '91. It was likely just a spot fill-in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2024 at 11:39 AM, SoFloTVClassics said:

WFLA Newswatch 8 1993

I hated this era of WFLA! The graphics and music were a step back in my opinion from the "coastal" graphics and Power News. The set was the only good thing about it. They redeemed themselves in 1995 with the Bold Horizons graphics and theme.

Edited by jerseyfla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

KIRO 7 Eyewitness News 1977

KIRO 7 Promo "We're Alive with the spirit of the great Northwest"

When you unearth something rare, never-before-seen-until-now, and awesome, that REALLY makes my day! KIRO CBS7 stuff from the 1970s never before seen on YouTube until now was a real treat. KIRO's use of Telesound's Classical Gas was more kick-ass!

• Like 1