Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

On 9/22/2023 at 2:04 PM, SoFloTVClassics said:

Full 9/11 Episode of Regis and Kelly FOUND!

Amazing and historic footage. What makes this unique from any other coverage that day was live audience reaction to the events as they happened. Thanks for the notice. I wonder where this actually aired?

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

Amazing and historic footage. What makes this unique from any other coverage that day was live audience reaction to the events as they happened. Thanks for the notice. I wonder where this actually aired?

According to some old archived webpages, WB affiliate KWGN-TV, Ch. 2 in Denver, CO, was carrying Live with Regis & Kelly around 2001-02, however there's a chance that even they would have not carried this episode either as they usually aired the show between 9-10AM MT. 

The first attack happened at 6:46AM MT & was before KWGN-TV's morning newscast which, at the time, started at 7AM. 

I think that there is a 50/50 chance that they would have been carrying a live feed from CNN, or NYC sister station WPIX, that morning.

Edited by Route66Fan
To add stuff.
  • Thanks 1

I don't think any station aired that Regis & Kelly episode unless they were an indie or a UPN/WB without a news department...were there any of those affiliates? And by then, especially PT/MT stations would have taken something - CNN, a sister Big 3 network station, etc. with rolling WTC coverage. Actually, FOX was simulcasting Fox News throughout the country especially for those without news departments. UPN took CBS, The WB I believe was taking WPIX and/or CNN as from what I've seen on channel surfing clips from 9/11, especially in the hours after both towers went down.

I wonder what it was like in the studio after Regis signed off saying "We'll all watch it together, OK?" (i.e., WABC coverage). My guess is eventually the directors/producers told the cameras to stop filming, and I'm not sure how long the audience stayed in the studio...would they have left around the end of regular filming (around 10AM) or were they told to get out of dodge ASAP and find a way out? If only we had audience member accounts.

And a technical blurb: Regis & Kelly fed on Galaxy 4R, ch. 24 every morning, in the days of unscrambled analog feeds. They didn't go back on for a week, so my guess is nothing was fed at the regular LIVE time on 9/12-14. Besides, it was all rolling coverage on the Big 3 networks for 2-3 days afterward.

ps: Does anyone know when the Fox network itself went to nationwide coverage? Whether by WNYW or by Fox News? I'm searching the newspapers.com microfilm and find that WFXB-43 Myrtle Beach carried Live with Regis & Kelly...they may have been one of the few that aired this, if the Fox network didn't go to nationwide coverage BEFORE the 2nd plane hit...

Edited by VHSgoodiesWA

On 9/26/2023 at 12:53 AM, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Does anyone know when the Fox network itself went to nationwide coverage? Whether by WNYW or by Fox News? I'm searching the newspapers.com microfilm and find that WFXB-43 Myrtle Beach carried Live with Regis & Kelly...they may have been one of the few that aired this, if the Fox network didn't go to nationwide coverage BEFORE the 2nd plane hit...

Try this from Atlanta's 9/11/01 coverage from FOX O&O station WAGA.

The network went to a special report 3 times during the duration of this coverage, before going full on.

Looks like approximately 9:06AM ET is when the Fox network went on with coverage, unless they took FNC for the first several minutes like what WAGA was doing. KDFW Dallas was taking the WNYW Good Day NY feed. Fox stations with no news department may have either gone back to the syndicated program or (more likely) were taking available feeds in those breaks in the special reports during the 9:20-9:50AM timeframe. In the case of any FOX stations that carried Regis & Kelly at 9AM (or even 8AM CT), that may have been the actual R&K feed with WABC.

A couple of old VHSgoodies videos have been posted.

KCTV 5/3/91 10PM, with Wendell Anschutz and Anne Peterson

KNDO NewsCenter 23 10/15/90 with Mary Leonard

Edited by VHSgoodiesWA

A full 11pm from WCPX Orlando in October 1994. This very short-lived look had to have debuted no earlier than June and was out no later than early 1995.

There is a very strong current of KPNX, particularly in the talent open which has both some script items and animations that are redolent of the News Station-era graphics. There also appears to be stylistic influence from the CBS News and CBS Sports looks in use then. The unusual tandem voiceover is Lisa Malay (who did KPNX — this was her second open set for 6) and the guy who voiced KTVK during this time. This is an interesting era: the station had a very CityPulse-esque appearance just a year and change prior, and there are elements in place of it (mostly the set), but the anchors (Bud Hedinger and Mary Hamill; David Wittman gets equal billing but way less air time) are much more anchored to their desk.

From the shores of the Atlantic to the frontiers of space to the heart of Central Florida... Live and local, this is 6 News.

Edited by Samantha
  • Like 2

Another big update:

Nightline on 8/30/1983, a west coast version following the night launch of Challenger

Now THIS is rare stuff! WTBS' 'The Week in Review,' with Bob Cain and Roz Abrams, taped June 26th, 1983...now my oldest-ever find from The Superstation

KAPP News 35 11:00 Report (partial), 9/25/1989 - Dana Cowley, Bob Romero

KIMA NewsBeat at 11, 9/27/89 - Colleen Bagnall and Gary Peixoto