Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

The very familiar 1 minute "All-Star" version of WNBC's "We're 4 New York" promo from Winter 1993, featuring the celebrity cameo from Jerry Seinfeld. Remember these 10 kids right next to Carol Jenkins wearing the "4 New York" shirts?

Edited by LinCruzChicagoNYLA

Introducing the latest addition to the ATVB Archives YouTube Channel, the 1991 10pm newscast from KMGH Denver, previously affiliated with CBS but now with ABC. This particular broadcast was delayed 50 minutes due to the CBS Sports broadcast of the 1991 World Series, which went on longer.

Edited by newsteam13

And more to add from same account (whom I work with).

KOIN News 6 at 11, 9/15/2005, with Jeff Gianola and Kelley Day.

Nicole Sanchez on KIMA News Weekend Edition, 5/8/2004

KAPP News 35 at 11 (5/23/1988), partial with Linda Schactler

Another KAPP news clip from 1984! Steve Mumm, before he moved to KXLY, plus an unknown, nervous weather anchor and Steve Beehler on sports. Great find, sorry for the rough video quality.

From NYC:

The 30 second "We're 4 New York Everyday" promo from WNBC during the 2008 Summer Olympics, along with Sue Simmons saying "I'm was raised in Harlem and I'm 4 New York" in the short ID, but the "4 New York" logo and the call letters missing in that ID. (C/o Jukin's Tape Bin)

Another set of "We're 4 New York Everyday" promos courtesy of NYNewsWatch:

Edited by LinCruzChicagoNYLA

NEVER FORGET! Hard to believe, 22 years now.

I have 4 hours of CBS News (Dan Rather) and 8 hours of CNN (Aaron Brown) from that day, of course everything has been posted on YouTube and then some. The CBS footage comes from KIMA and they put up occasional crawls, I don't think there are any local cut-ins on that recording. I will have to look more closely. It's buried in storage, I can't even remember which tub.

3 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

I have 4 hours of CBS News (Dan Rather) and 8 hours of CNN (Aaron Brown) from that day, of course everything has been posted on YouTube and then some. The CBS footage comes from KIMA and they put up occasional crawls, I don't think there are any local cut-ins on that recording. I will have to look more closely. It's buried in storage, I can't even remember which tub.

Yep, today marks the 22nd anniversary of the tragic events that took place on September 11th, which continue to evoke deep emotions within us. Undoubtedly, this was the pivotal day that changed our lives forever.

• Sad 1

Rather, Jennings and Brokaw were all solid on that day. Which of the big 3 networks, did you find handled the tragedy the most masterfully?

I think, during the attacks, The Today Show was strongest in coverage. Just watching The Today Show from that era, especially how they handled 9/11 and the following days, it felt like a public affairs program, rather than what it devolved to now.

For the Wed-Fri following the attacks, I would say ABC News was really strong.

Edited by MediaZone4K

21 hours ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Hey vhsgoodieswa, I discovered your archive.org page. Can you send me a message? I would love to talk about some vhs questions that I have. Thank you in advance.  

Honestly, I think Peter Jennings did the best out of the three networks. He was calm in a tragic situation and didn't care if his suit wasn't on...he still put on a show of professionalism. Still miss him.

Anyways, new stuff we've found:

WSBT 2/18/90 11PM

and the CBS Sunday Night News from that night

KREM 2 First News Live, 7/12/1991 (first 9 min.)

CNN Headline News with David Goodnow, 2/28/1989 (via KUTP Phoenix)

• Like 2

From Phoenix, a 1989 promo for KTVK's morning news:

And a different time code in the same clip takes us to a promo for meteorologist Royal Norman, who is still with the station today, as well as some dramatic helicopter footage of a tornado from a few years earlier: