Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

An awesome discovery that KOA-TV Denver (now KCNC) has used Move Closer to Your World. Yep, that long-running Philadelphia news theme has invaded the Mile High City back in the 70s. Now, if only we could find proof of Channel 4 Denver using MCTYW in action. A news open, a promo, anything

Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 8.23.02 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

An awesome discovery that KOA-TV Denver (now KCNC) has used Move Closer to Your World. Yep, that long-running Philadelphia news theme has invaded the Mile High City back in the 70s. Now, if only we could find proof of Channel 4 Denver using MCTYW in action. A news open, a promo, anything

Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 8.23.02 PM.png

Was hoping to find a clip on YT but nothing turned up. There is a mid 70's promo that was proof they used the "Eyewitness News" moniker.

I also noticed on the News Music Search Archive that KOLD-TV 13 in Tucson, AZ used TM's classic "Spirit" music package back in 1987. However, I looked on YouTube and could not find a video using the theme.

A newscast, news open or anything would be good.

Also, I came across some rare newsbreaks anchored by J.D. Miles over former CBS affiliate KLMG in Longview/Tyler, TX who was a news anchor for the station.

The KLMG newsbreaks can be found below.

Not only did J.D. Miles work at KLMG, he also worked as an anchor for WJHL in Johnson City, Tennessee. You can watch the WJHL clips below.

Not only did J.D. Miles anchor the news, there were even some outtakes and promos too. See those below.

And Steve Pickett worked as a reporter for KFSN-TV in Fresno, CA back in the late 1980s. Check out his reel below.

Edited by KnoxvilleTVFan
I found some rare video clips of former KLMG/WJHL anchor JD Miles and former KFSN reporter Steve Pickett.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

I also noticed on the News Music Search Archive that KOLD-TV 13 in Tucson, AZ used TM's classic "Spirit" music package back in 1987. However, I looked on YouTube and could not find a video using the theme.

A newscast, news open or anything would be good.

And I discovered also that WCNC (NBC in Charlotte, NC) had "Real News" from 1989-96, but similarly, could not find visual evidence of anything using that music. I do like Charlie Van Dyke's billing on the first clip using that music (a 1989 early edition opening): "And now, Charlotte's first news...with Jesse Johnson....Tom Miller....Dr. Joe Conway with outdoor weather...and Jim Celania on sports. This is News 36 at 5:30."

wcnccharlottemusic.jpg.b20ca63c03a24e4e0e73511f124c2455.jpg

7 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

And I discovered also that WCNC (NBC in Charlotte, NC) had "Real News" from 1989-96, but similarly, could not find visual evidence of anything using that music. I do like Charlie Van Dyke's billing on the first clip using that music (a 1989 early edition opening): "And now, Charlotte's first news...with Jesse Johnson....Tom Miller....Dr. Joe Conway with outdoor weather...and Jim Celania on sports. This is News 36 at 5:30."

I have some WCNC clips from 1994, but they got purged by Vimeo - will have to hunt them down and re-post...

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 9:44 PM, KnoxvilleTVFan said:

Also, I came across some rare newsbreaks anchored by J.D. Miles over former CBS affiliate KLMG in Longview/Tyler, TX who was a news anchor for the station.

The KLMG newsbreaks can be found below.

I'd heard that J.D. had been at KLMG but I figured he had to have been a reporter, not an anchor.  These clips must have been from later in their CBS timeframe, as one clip talks about the 1990 TX governor's race.  Also, none of the other on-air folks in the clips were there prior to KLMG cutting their news department and newscasts twice due to financial troubles.

WTG KnoxvilleTVFan.  You ran across some incredibly rare content.

He ended up at KGET in Bakersfield in the mid-90's.

15 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

From 1988, rare clip of sportscaster Steve Talbot at WTSP. He was only with the station about 14 months and was replaced by Al Keck. AFAIK, this was his last TV job. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capsgm2002 said:

He ended up at KGET in Bakersfield in the mid-90's.

Yup. Came back to the market. Was in Bako at KERO  as News and Sports Director in late 70’s into 1980.  Returned to Bako and KGET. Later became media guy for the Kern County Superintendent of Schools. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

KJAC 1981/2 Newscasts 

Love the Just Watch Us Now (NBC 1982-83 season campaign) instrumental on the end titles of that 1982 KJAC evening edition (that evening edition, or part thereof, taking up approximately the first third of this montage).

On 10/11/2022 at 4:36 AM, bmasters1 said:

wcnccharlottemusic.jpg.b20ca63c03a24e4e0e73511f124c2455.jpg

The WCNC Real News open sample on the NMSA comes from an open digitaldave1982 uploaded to YouTube years ago - I think it was dated 1990 or so, it's long gone unfortunately. There are a few clips of them using Real News on YT if you dig around.

• Like 1

Excellent work from the team at World News Tonight (9/18/01). Calm and lightly sensational reporting in the immediate aftermath of the worst terror attack in US history. Compare this to the overblown hype and constant blaring, breaking news graphics that would be applied to something as light as as committee hearing on today's evening news.  

KFMB, CBS 8 San Diego (April 1967). You'd be hard-pressed to find a mid to late 60s newscast wether local or national that didn't mention Vietnam at least once. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1