Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

On 1/29/2022 at 11:42 AM, bmasters1 said:

And here's more on the captioning on The Cosby Show (1986 article from The New York Times):

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/01/06/arts/cosby-captioning-sparks-dispute.html

Just what I figured. WGBH's Caption Center did the Cosby captions (and used that "CC in the TV screen" logo). They were one of the "big two" closed captioning producers in 1986. Others like VITAC would come later and take away business from NCI and WGBH/TCC.

• Thanks 1

From 1992, a topical promo for WMAQ's 10 p.m. news:

22 hours ago, 8Viewer said:

Here's WTSP's version of "We're the Team!" with John Wilson, Sheryl Browne, Dick Fletcher and Ken Broo in various activities, even sailing a boat together! 

And from WTSP's then-sister station KTSP in Phoenix (at the 0:38 mark):

• Like 1

Colorado 7 News at 10, taped about 7 months before KMGH's affiliation swap. Lynn Setzer is the anchor. (Personal note: I love that old circle 7 logo with the green mountains. Denver's TV stations have boring logos nowadays that don't celebrate the mountainous region they serve. Even KRMA, which had mountain graphics in their logo, dumped it recently when PBS had their major redesign nationally.)

• Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 12:02 AM, TVIntheDesert said:

Just what I figured. WGBH's Caption Center did the Cosby captions (and used that "CC in the TV screen" logo). They were one of the "big two" closed captioning producers in 1986. Others like VITAC would come later and take away business from NCI and WGBH/TCC.

And they also were on Sunday Morning on CBS w/Charles Kuralt, and later Charles Osgood, starting in the late-80s, I believe.

cbssundaymorning1988captioning.jpg

KRIS Channel 6 News Tonight open and segment (May 7, 1993)

WLWT News 5 Tonight at the 24:12 mark (February 25, 1985)

KABC Eyewitness News at 11:00 (February 22, 1987; includes a report of the passing of Andy Warhol from a heart attack)

WCAU Channel 10 News at 11 (January 19, 1990)

WJLA News 7 at 6:00 (February 13, 1988) Just amazing graphics for the late 80's!

KXLY News 4 at 11:00 capped from a rebroadcast (November 5, 1997)

WXIA 11 Alive News at 11:00 (February 28, 2002)

KVAL Northwest News at 11:00 (May 20, 2002)

An AMAZING KIRO find! Susan Hutchison with blonde hair and a young Gary Justice on the oldest Seattle find I've ever made, the open to Eyewitness News from 2/4/1982!

This has also been reuploaded - the final noon newscast from KIRO before they went to 'News out of the Box,' on February 4th, 1993. An epic failure it was.

KNDO 11pm news from 5/13/2004

KXTV 11pm news (partial) from 11/2/1997

and last but not least...KAPP's 11:00 Report from 3/15/1988 with Linda Schlachter. This came from an Ampex tape, thus the distorted audio at times. The worst VHS tapes of all time, complete with their sticky-shed syndrome and thick bottom coating. I have some Ampex Betas that I haven't even gone through...I'm waiting to purchase a food dehydrator to bake them first! At estate sales, I skip most Ampex tapes nowadays as they are terrible on VCR heads.

• Like 2

This video begins with a WVEC promo from the 1980s, Take it to the top (portions are cut out, unfortunately). I'm certain it's misdated and is actually from 1983 judging from a tractor pull event advertised at the end - May 20 & 21 were a Friday/Saturday, since 1984 was a leap year and Sunday/Monday wouldn't make sense for such an event. WVEC was using different campaigns after this, For People Like You in 1984 and Spirit of Hampton Roads in 1985.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 9:03 PM, WWUpdate said:

WCCO takes a look at local TV news: the sets, the formats, and even the content, 1978:

Wow, I can't believe they featured their competition. Great to see Don Harrison, later of WTSP and Headline News!

• Like 1

WKRC Eyewitness 12 11pm (March 15, 1982)

WPXI Channel 11 News at 11:00 (March 3, 1991)

WRTV 6 News at 11:00 (November 23, 1995)

WTHR NewsCenter 13 Tonight (January 13, 1993)

WRTV 6 News at 11:00 (July 22, 1996)

WTHR NewsCenter 13 Noon in Indiana (August 1991)

WTHR NewsCenter 13 Tonight (October 22, 1990)