Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

YouTube has all of CBS Moring Shows openings from 1961 to present day and a couple of things caught my eye…

1. I did not know Diane Sawyer was on the CBS  morning program so long. I just thought she was there for like a year but from the video it seem she was a cohost for much longer. 

2. Out of all the cohost of this program, I distinctly remember Rene Syler and Maggie Rodriguez taking them getting let go from the show the hardest. 

3. I always said it was a huge mistake to fire Maggie and Harry to replace them with Erica and Chris. They were not that good and it was destined to fail.  

https://youtu.be/jTWV2lSeHvU 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Daybreak said:

YouTube has all of CBS Moring Shows openings from 1961 to present day and a couple of things caught my eye…

1. I did not know Diane Sawyer was on the CBS  morning program so long. I just thought she was there for like a year but from the video it seem she was a cohost for much longer. 

2. Out of all the cohost of this program, I distinctly remember Rene Syler and Maggie Rodriguez taking them getting let go from the show the hardest. 

3. I always said it was a huge mistake to fire Maggie and Harry to replace them with Erica and Chris. They were not that good and it was destined to fail.  

https://youtu.be/jTWV2lSeHvU 

They finally figured out mornings with Charlie / Gayle / Norah, but then...

• Like 1

I have been looking around on YouTube and you'll be happy to know that I came across a rare broadcast of "Action News Magazine" as aired over WPCQ-TV 36. You can watch it at here and it features a future Atlanta news legend in Amanda Davis. Yes, Amanda Davis worked at WPCQ before coming to Atlanta several years later. And it also features Robert D. Raiford who would go on to become a part of the John Boy & Billy radio show.

(1990)Classic ABC News promo featuring most of the network's big shot anchors. Wish Charlie Gibson and Joan Lunden could have made it in too. 

The successive deaths of the Soviet Union's leaders in just 3 years: 

CBS Evening News (1982): Leonid Brezhnev's death

CBS Evening News (1984): Yuri Andropov's death

CBS Evening News (1985): Konstantin Chernenko's death, Gorbachev becomes leader

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

(1990)Classic ABC News promo featuring most of the network's big shot anchors. Wish Charlie Gibson and Joan Lunden could have made it in too. 

Charles Gibson, Joan Lunden and Spencer Christian came later.

In 1997 to be exact.

That was when Good Morning America moved from ABC's entertainment division to the News division. 

Edited by newsteam13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KUMV TV-8 Night Report (September 21, 1991) Sounds like a very early Bill Ratner sighting in the introduction of the newscast.

Courtesy of NW ND Farmer & Rancher / Video Archive, which has also uploaded some commercials (national and local) and station I.D.'s (including some from KUMV STILL using the NBC "Proud N" logo in 1991!).

Edited by H-Town TV Fan
Forgot to put parts 4 and 5 in the original version.
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, WWUpdate said:

WLS, Chicago, 10 p.m. (rebroadcast), complete, 1992:

A couple notes.

• This is within the first month or so of News Series 2000 Plus' two decade run on WLS, though the station's top-to-bottom refresh was almost a year-long process.
    • Early 1992: in-show graphics and lower thirds
    • Fall 1992: WPVI-style opens and new theme, plus the move to the temporary set
    • Jan/Feb 1993: New set and a few anchor changes
  • Looks familiar, but this is a temporary set. The late 80's model was reconstructed elsewhere, while the new one for 1993 was being built.
    • The easy was to tell is the wide branded panel behind the 2 anchors. The background on the hard set was narrower, so they could pull up the curtain to expose a green screen for reporter tosses.
    • Also, the entire run of that set, from 1987 to 1992, featured only circle 7's on the walls. The placement of ''Eyewitness News' was a preview of what would be on the new set, just in the old model's dark blue, and not the much lighter shade of the new.
Edited by 24994J
  • Like 3

On 9/29/2021 at 4:12 PM, RCA TK47 said:

Some May 1987 KOVR 13 NEWS promos (8:55) with anchor Dan Gray supposedly explaining why he moved to California and KOVR's GM Ed Pfeiffer asking viewers for feedback on how to make the then ABC affiliate better station.  I remember seeing these when KOVR originally aired them way back when 34 years ago and thinking to myself "This will never work".  This look didn't last long at KOVR... Neither did Dan Gray.  Although I think Gray was a pretty good catch for them though.  I still think he and Jennifer Whitney might've been able to right the ship there at KOVR a little bit if they were given some more time.  P.S. And a brief Rush Limbaugh cameo on the right @ 9:31. 

That look didn't last at all...but Dan Gray was there for a few years. They kept changing his co-anchor though; he went through three before they even got to Jennifer Whitney, each lasted about a year. Then they tossed him. He got a raw deal. 

Some more re-uploads:

KIRO 11/23/90, partial, with a classic pairing of Aaron Brown, and the late Harry Wappler and Wayne Cody.

and part of CBS News America Tonight from later that evening...RARE!

Stu Seibel signs off from KIMA, 11/16/2007. I am so happy that I finally reuploaded this. Still alive and well retired in Yakima. Love that man...so much knowledge. 

KING 5 News open at the end here, 11/5/1990 - Don Porter, Jean Enersen

Edited by VHSgoodiesWA
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 5:19 PM, H-Town TV Fan said:

KUMV TV-8 Night Report (September 21, 1991) Sounds like a very early Bill Ratner sighting in the introduction of the newscast.

Courtesy of NW ND Farmer & Rancher / Video Archive, which has also uploaded some commercials (national and local) and station I.D.'s (including some from KUMV STILL using the NBC "Proud N" logo in 1991!).

Why would KUMV be uber-retro in 1991 (using the 1979 bird and N, notwithstanding that today's 6-feathered bird would have been 5 years old by then)?

• Like 1