Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

A few newscast airchecks I uncovered from Eastern NC.

WNCT 11pm newscast from 2001

WCTI 11pm newscast, 2004

The latter half of a WNCT newscast from 2004, weeks away from switching over to the Media General 'crescent' graphics & Wall to Wall News. While the main set was getting a refresh, they were on the Fox 8/14 set temporarily with modifications... I think I figured out the reason for the odd handcuffs background. They were doing a heavy crime-focused series at the time, "Crime and Punishment" as mentioned by Marti Skold at the end of the broadcast.

• Like 2

ABC News Nightline coverage of the opening night of Gulf War I from January 16th-17th, 1991, taped from WVUE (now a Fox station) in New Orleans:

https://archive.org/details/abc-91-gulf

CNN's coverage of President George H.W. Bush's State of The Union address from January 29, 1991, via Cox Cable in New Orleans:

https://archive.org/details/cnnsotu-91

Nightline's report from February 22nd (again taped from WVUE) on the threatened coalition ground offensive against Saddam Hussein, which ultimately took place the following day:

https://archive.org/details/abcnightline-22291

CNN Gulf War coverage from February 23rd, just hours before the ground war phase of Operation Desert Storm began:

https://archive.org/details/cnngulfwar-91

• Like 1

(2003) CBS News Coverage of Saddam Hussein's capture. Interestingly, it looks like Dan Rather is reporting from something similar to the early 90s set of the CBSEN. Even more odd is that in the beginning portion, the mid 90s red/yellow L3's are being used before transitioning to the usual blue graphics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

(2003) CBS News Coverage of Saddam Hussein's capture. Interestingly, it looks like Dan Rather is reporting from something similar to the early 90s set of the CBSEN. Even more odd is that in the beginning portion, the mid 90s red/yellow L3's are being used before transitioning to the usual blue graphics.

He was definitely in front of a green screen or a printed background at the beginning, but if you jump to the 1:14:00-ish mark (post-press conference), you'll see that Dan is coming from the Sunday Morning set. SOMETHING kept him from being on the main Evening News set.

image.thumb.png.6fd2e178c682369fd618e78b0684d4ca.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bostonmediaguy said:

The date in question was a Sunday. The Sunday Morning studio would have been staffed and ready for that day's broadcast.

Yeah I’m guessing couldn’t use the main set because the video walls needed some extra support and / or newsroom empty.

Odd that the graphics were 2 generations behind but maybe that studios control room had an old character generator.

Maybe they hauled in the old background and desk when the new set was built as some sort of backup shot for skeleton crew. Or maybe that newsroom area was untouched just off camera although the idle camera behind makes it seem it’s in a studio. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sfomspphl said:

Yeah I’m guessing couldn’t use the main set because the video walls needed some extra support and / or newsroom empty.

Odd that the graphics were 2 generations behind but maybe that studios control room had an old character generator.

Maybe they hauled in the old background and desk when the new set was built as some sort of backup shot for skeleton crew. Or maybe that newsroom area was untouched just off camera although the idle camera behind makes it seem it’s in a studio. 

They look like knockoffs of that package. No eye, incorrect typefaces.

25 years ago, a devastating ice storm hit the Inland Northwest and eastern Washington. I had a bunch of clips posted on the old account before YouTube shut it down. And they are back - 25 years later: lots of KREM (Charles Rowe, current Mayor Nadine Woodward), KHQ (Randy Shaw, Debra Wilde) and KXLY (various anchors including Mark Wright) to share.

18 hours ago, 24994J said:

He was definitely in front of a green screen or a printed background at the beginning, but if you jump to the 1:14:00-ish mark (post-press conference), you'll see that Dan is coming from the Sunday Morning set. SOMETHING kept him from being on the main Evening News set.

image.thumb.png.6fd2e178c682369fd618e78b0684d4ca.png

Dan Rather reporting from the Sunday Morning set made the novelty of this even better.

WABC 1977: Love the steps concept, especially the diagonal shots where you can see one anchor behind the other

WABC 2001: Aaliyah's death, I've struggled to find news coverage of this online

Edited by iron_lion
  • Sad 1